CLE hires John Dorsey as GM

Broncofan

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

1) Loads of draft picks. 2 picks in the top 10. 3 2nd rounders. 1 3rd rounder. 2 4th rounders. 2 5th rounders. 

2) Nearly 80 million in cap space. Thats the highest amount of any team in the NFL.

3) Extremely low expectations. Average will make you a hero.

4) Complete control over the 53 man roster.

The Browns GM job per Adam Schefter is a extremely attractive job.

You forgot Jimmy Haslam. That immediately undermines all the benefits. As I said, he must have received contractual assurances that Haslam will stay out of the way.

Just now, jrry32 said:

You forgot Jimmy Haslam. That immediately undermines all the benefits. As I said, he must have received contractual assurances that Haslam will stay out of the way.

Well yea, Im sure they talked about processes and everybodys role in the organization before offering a 4 year contract lol. Thats kinda a big part about accepting essentially a 'cooperate' position is knowing who you report to, who is responsible for what and how things work. Dorsey was obviously okay with the structure before signing the contract.

Reports were that the Browns have been in talks with Dorsey for up to 5 weeks. Dorsey had to feel comfortable with how everything will operate

58 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

As a chiefs fan, not exactly impressed with the roster atm. 

But hey how much is Reid influenced? Good luck to Dorsey, hes got a lot if draft capital to work with.

Your not happy with Kareem Hunt, Tyreke Hill, Travis Kelce, Marcus Peters, Dee Ford, Chris Jones and Pat Mahommes in waiting? All while locking up Tamba Hali, Justin Houston and Eric Berry long term?

I mean what more could you want

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well yea, Im sure they talked about processes and everybodys role in the organization before offering a 4 year contract lol. Thats kinda a big part about accepting essentially a 'cooperate' position is knowing who you report to, who is responsible for what and how things work. Dorsey was obviously okay with the structure before signing the contract.

Reports were that the Browns have been in talks with Dorsey for up to 5 weeks. Dorsey had to feel comfortable with how everything will operate

Why did you respond to my post then?

My point was that a great GM like Dorsey with a lot of options isn't going to take a job like Cleveland's unless he has assurances that Haslam won't meddle. He's not going to risk his career and put his name on a team that Haslam didn't let him pick.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

My point was that a great GM like Dorsey with a lot of options isn't going to take a job like Cleveland's unless he has assurances that Haslam won't meddle. He's not going to risk his career and put his name on a team that Haslam didn't let him pick.

Right and all Im saying is clearly had those assurances or else he wouldnt have taken it.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Your not happy with Kareem Hunt, Tyreke Hill, Travis Kelce, Marcus Peters, Dee Ford, Chris Jones and Pat Mahommes in waiting? All while locking up Tamba Hali, Justin Houston and Eric Berry long term?

In fairness, their cap was a complete and total mess. I'm not sure how much say Dorsey had in that, though. No doubt that he had a decent track record in the draft department though (although you can't include Mahomes as you did), so that part is definitely something to look forward to in Cleveland. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, their cap was a complete and total mess. I'm not sure how much say Dorsey had in that, though. No doubt that he had a decent track record in the draft department though (although you can't include Mahomes as you did), so that part is definitely something to look forward to in Cleveland. 

hey man, all Im saying is that my team hasnt had that much talent on their team since 1995, I would amputate my pinkie finger for the Browns to look like the current Cheifs roster haha But no, my team is 4-46 in the past 4 seasons with 7 different starting QBs.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

hey man, all Im saying is that my team hasnt had that much talent on their team since 1995, I would amputate my pinkie finger for the Browns to look like the current Cheifs roster haha

I think it's a good hire. I think he'll do right by you guys. Supposedly he's not the easiest to get along with / work with, so it may come crashing down at some point, but speaking as 49er fan, sometimes it's just about enjoying the ride while you're on it. There was no way for the Harbaugh tenure to end but badly, but that didn't mean I wanted off it. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's a good hire. I think he'll do right by you guys. Supposedly he's not the easiest to get along with / work with, so it may come crashing down at some point, but speaking as 49er fan, sometimes it's just about enjoying the ride while you're on it. There was no way for the Harbaugh tenure to end but badly, but that didn't mean I wanted off it. 

Yea, does anybody have the real reason why the Cheifs let him go if he was that good? Was it his attitude or something because if thats the case then here is a picture of him and Gregg Williams in the conference room on draft night.

Dnz46X5.gif

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Yea, does anybody have the real reason why the Cheifs let him go if he was that good? Was it his attitude or something because if thats the case. Here is a picture of him and Gregg Williams in the conference room on draft night.

Dnz46X5.gif

The official word was "communication and management style" I believe. 

But behind the scenes, the Chiefs’ front office did not always run smoothly under Dorsey. Team chairman Clark Hunt’s decision to fire Dorsey was fueled, in part, by concerns about his internal communication and management styles, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation who spoke to The Star on condition of anonymity.

As one of the sources said while describing how Dorsey had removed two front-office executives without much explanation: “John does stuff and doesn’t tell people why.” Another source said Dorsey’s management style “could wear on people.”

For instance, the typically stable Chiefs also made waves this offseason when Dorsey released director of football administration Trip MacCracken and director of pro scouting Will Lewis. Each man had been with the team for at least four years, and not only were their dismissals surprising, there weren’t many answers to be found, even inside the organization.

“Those decisions were totally John’s,” a source said. “That’s the kind of stuff he does.”

Sources also critiqued Dorsey’s management style, noting that while he was often friendly and jovial, the same tongue-in-cheek manner he used to win over most people over eventually wore on others.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The official word was "communication and management style" I believe. 

Sounds great considering the Browns need cohesion more than anything between ownership, GM and coaches. Thats the reason we are where we are right now because nobody was on the same page. Whatever though, hopefully that was addressed with Haslem and there will be a structure in place.

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

My only question is, was it Dorsey or was it Reid making the picks???? I think it was Reid as he did in Philly!!!

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yea, does anybody have the real reason why the Cheifs let him go if he was that good? Was it his attitude or something because if thats the case then here is a picture of him and Gregg Williams in the conference room on draft night.

Dnz46X5.gif

I think it was a power struggle between him and Reid and Reid won, end of story!!!

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Anybody who believes Haslam won't meddle, does not know Haslam. It already looks like he insisted on Hue staying, if that isn't meddling, I do not know what is???

Archived