5 up 5 Down 3-2 Steelers over 3-2 Ravens

Steeler Hitman

5 UP

1. The entire team showed fight and never gave up.

2. Jalen Warren. Attempted to carry the entire offense one drive.

3 George Pickens made some tough catches. He stepped up and made the most of his opportunities. 

4. TJ Watt. He is special. Great play after a subpar game by his standards in Houston.

5 A. Miles Killabrew. Game changing special teams play. Larry Ogunjobi continues to have an impact on the DL. 

5 B. JPJ Jr. Rookie is showing that he is ready for more action. Making the most of his chances. Game and momentum changing int.

5 C. Terrell Austin. Solid bounce back after the last game. The defense got beat and the Ravens blew some plays, but they kept on fighting and did a better job in the second half.

5 Down

1. Offense continues to struggle. Same formations, same struggles, and same low scoring results. Defense and special teams are doing more scoring and table setting than the offense. Tired of the excuses and poor results. The offense is poo poo 💩. OL not getting a push to establish the run, crappy play calling, crappy offensive adjustments, etc.

2. The Ravens lost this game more than the Steelers won it. The football gods smiled on the Steelers today. Bad coaching decision from Coach Harbaugh not taking 3 points. Multiple dropped passes and shooting themselves in the foot. Steelers won, but doesn't make me feel better about the team overall. Hopefully this game is viewed as one we were more lucky than good. Changes continue to be put in place. We are 3-2, and I am happy for that, but honestly could be 1-4.

3. Gunner. I was a fan of his abilities, but has repeatedly disappointed. He had a good PR and one that almost sealed the game for the Ravens. Coach T said he was in only because injury. 

4. Matt Canada. I have tried to support him, but watching this offense and his lack of creativity, execution, change is enough for me. No separation in multiple routes, not using all of his offensive weapons, running the same formations and plays, etc, etc, etc. How many times was Washington targeted? How about running behind Isaac? How about getting under center more, etc.?

5. Hoping this win doesn't give a false sense of success.  🤬😔 Kinda repeating myself, but it is worth saying again. We have been pulled into the we are getting better after the Raiders game. Hopefully some honest assessments are made during the bye week. 

18 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

. The Ravens lost this game more than the Steelers won it.

so will we lose next week? wait, we can't !

Gunner - forget the doghouse, trade him and move on. 

JPj better get more snaps

canada better get... better? not as worse, something like that.  I about give up on the offence and the playcalling. A few more weeks of canada by the looks of it

You forgot Jones for an up, making strides

Boswell seems to be mr.reliable again, glad we can rely on him. 

The team never quit, that wasn't the case last week. maybe this team will still play down to teams and rise vs old foes. Thats not the formula to copy but it's an issue that we will probably have to live with

I will say a down is the lack of replays on the OL and blocking in general. Instead of telling us, why not have the replay and do color that way.  Jones and Washington could have got some positive press today for blocking (Pickens too perhaps but he gets TD to seal it) 

5 UP

1. Jaylen Warren - Mighty Mouse

2. George Pickens - George is showing that he is seeing things on another level. His confidence and awareness are getting very high in a good way. That dive for extra yards on the run for example is the kind of gamer and awareness this team has been lacking in its WR. Not to knock Diontae but those are the things that he always seemed to not think of despite all of his great ability and effort. 

3. Quon Alexander - had a very nice game, he was also making plays proactively with awareness. Its what this team needs. 

4. Larry O - his hustle play got it all started, until that play it was dismal. 

5. Special teams - im cheating here a bit cause want to give credit to Boz and Killebrew, also liked Williams hustle. Said all along Williams deserved to be on the 53 and I think he should see some offensive reps for sure while Pat is out especially. 

5 Down

1. I dont like to use the word hate but those simultaneous hook or curl routes, 3 right next to each other like synchronized swimmers has to be THE Worst play call / design and we run it multiple times a game. If I could choose one route or play to throw away it would be that, almost every time...im pretty sure its every time Kenny is left with nothing cause if he doesnt get it out immediately once they curl and stop those guys are basically eliminated from the route. Its horrible. 

2. Levi, because you have to put him on here. 

3. Gunner...to be fair the fumble was caused by Connor Heyward's bonehead play of running right into the returner. However Gunner wears me out and has used up his credibility. 

4. Kenny...still bailing when he shouldn't be. The 2 point conversion he took a 5 yard drop from shotgun. Had he scanned the field at all and kept his head still he wouldve seen AROB 5yds open for the first 3 seconds of the play but its kind of hard to do when you are worried about getting excessive amounts of depth even when you dont need to. Very little good happens when you get that much depth, more like its usually a comedy of errors and typically the things that blooper reels are made of. 

5. As much as the Ravens WR helped us out the refs missed two crucial DPI's that should've been called on the Ravens that I know one wouldve resulted in a TD and the other would've extended a drive as well or also couldve been points i think. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

Canada CAN get worst as his offense is 29th in the league.

If KP did not at least attempt the throw to Pickens when the Ravens showed zero coverage I would have dumped him right there.  He has gone back to moving to the left in the pocket when there is no pressure and that is causing him trouble. 

Teams are picking the the Steelers middle oline in pass rushes.  THey are missing stunts or getting blown back.

Clowney was the perfect opponent for Jones yesterday.  Clowney is generally going to bull rush and not push the edge.  Something Jones can handle and get confidence.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

2. George Pickens - George is showing that he is seeing things on another level. His confidence and awareness are getting very high in a good way. That dive for extra yards on the run for example is the kind of gamer and awareness this team has been lacking in its WR. Not to knock Diontae but those are the things that he always seemed to not think of despite all of his great ability and effort

Not that it would have made things much better but I really wanted to see George and DJ together. They are like the perfect type of pairing I would want. I want to see them work with each other. 

I hope DJ is back soon so we can see them together…and also to eliminate Allen Robinson. I’m not a marvel movie guy but someone needs to do the bad guy snap thing on Robinson, Boykin, and Gunner in actual offensive sets. 

Just a random rambling about receivers: our end around finally worked because we didn’t use the designated end around/jet receiver. Normalize using your regular receivers and not a specific players only! 

4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

. Kenny...still bailing when he shouldn't be. The 2 point conversion he took a 5 yard drop from shotgun. Had he scanned the field at all and kept his head still he wouldve seen AROB 5yds open for the first 3 seconds of the play but its kind of hard to do when you are worried about getting excessive amounts of depth even when you dont need to. Very little good happens when you get that much depth, more like its usually a comedy of errors and typically the things that blooper reels are made of. 

This whole play is why it baffles me that Tomlin doesn’t just want to end the Canada experiment. The play is a DESIGNED win…but our 2nd year QB who had started like 70 games since college isn’t looking at the design? Somethings being coaches so wrong here. The drops, the reads, the film….just awful  

Im just so worried Canada is destroying or delaying growth all across the board on this mostly young offense. We should have turned the page. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Somethings being coaches so wrong here. The drops, the reads, the film….just awful  

Im just so worried Canada is destroying or delaying growth all across the board on this mostly young offense. We should have turned the page. 

The only small thing I've heard here is that he's being drilled to run the play as designed as opposed to reading the defense.  I'll try to find the tweet that did it but they've taken OC box shots and timed it up with the plays on the field and it's just....weird...to say the least.  In plays like the Pickens TD, Canada is never celebrating, he actually looks disappointed like what's not the way he drew up the play.  But in some of these mindbaffling plays, Canada has looked pleased because the ball went where it's supposed to go.  The guy I was watching the game with made the comment on the 2PC that ARob was the 4th read, Kenny's only been looking at 1 and 2 then bailing, which is a coached trait.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The only small thing I've heard here is that he's being drilled to run the play as designed as opposed to reading the defense

If this is true he should be fired yesterday.  That is some 60's-70's offense philosophy right there

5 Up

1. Broderick Jones' play was very good in this game.

2. Miles Kilabrew & JPJ came to play.

3. Defense stood tall the majority of the game, kept control of the Ravens' offense. 

4. Ain't no doubt in my mind Kenny Pickett audibles out of a run play on that deep shot TD to Pickens. Overall I also thought Pickens played better against a tough defense

5. Warren, he is a more explosive runner than Harris regardless of YAC

5 Down

1. Gunner - He needs to be cut during the bye week.

2. Matt Canada - his playcalling is still trash and he looked pissed that KP made him look stupid on that TD throw. 

3. Defensive Coverage scheming still is baffling.  Why do we continue to play soft zone?

4. Conner Heyward seems like a waste of a roster spot at this point. 

5. Officiating. I mean it was terrible.

9 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

2. Matt Canada - his playcalling is still trash and he looked pissed that KP made him look stupid on that TD throw. 

What’s hilarious is Colin Dunlap is on twitter defending Canada saying he was looking for flags before celebrating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

The only small thing I've heard here is that he's being drilled to run the play as designed as opposed to reading the defense. 

Lucky not true as KP said yesterday in the post game.  But he is still limited as on some plays he can't make adjustments for what he sees.

As I understand it, on the TD throw, KP adjusted the protection.  i think it is standard for WR on the outside in zero coverage to run fly routes and KP said he will throw to Pickens every time he is single covered.  So Pickens changed his route.  The CB acted like he was covering the back shoulder throw ( which is stupid with no safety help) and TD.

Edited by jebrick

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Lucky not true as KP said yesterday in the post game.  But he is still limited as on some plays he can't make adjustments for what he sees.

If that’s the case, that’s beyond stupid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

As I understand it, on the TD throw, KP adjusted the protection.  i think it is standard for WR on the outside in zero coverage to run fly routes and KP said he will throw to Pickens every time he is single covered.  So Pickens changed his route.  The CB acted like he was covering the back shoulder throw ( which is stupid with no safety help) and TD.

Language thing but I use audible as blanket term for changing things.

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

If that’s the case, that’s beyond stupid.

Correct.

Here's what he said:

"It's what coaches put in the game plan that allows me to do that, built into the play."