We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

If there's a QB there they like, take him.  

Let's say there's a QB there that you'd take, and let's say it's the QB3 of draft class. 

If a team like the Commanders offers a first next year to move from 15 to 9, would you take the offer or the pick?

8 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Let's say there's a QB there that you'd take, and let's say it's the QB3 of draft class. 

If a team like the Commanders offers a first next year to move from 15 to 9, would you take the offer or the pick?

Probably yes.  If Love is terrible the rest of the year the Packers will probably take a QB though.  He's got to be really bad though, and I don't see it happening.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Probably yes.  If Love is terrible the rest of the year the Packers will probably take a QB though.  He's got to be really bad though, and I don't see it happening.

That's where I'm at too. Barring some really really bad play the rest of the season, Love has earned a 2 year audition for the job. I'd rather have another 2025 pick for a potential QB tradeup then.

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

In a heartbeat. Take that corner from Iowa or the top rated tackle with the pick and hope Commanders are terrible next year.

• Like 1

I'd have to look at the QB3.  Is it a Herbert type or Josh Rosen?    If I like him, I'd take him.  If not, I take the trade.  I think Love will improve, but don't believe he'll be much more than a middle of the pack QB.  Good enough to be a career backup, but he's not going to carry a team anywhere.  3 training camps in, we should be way past alarming accuracy issues. Im all for letting the season play out and seeing what he does, but, I have concerns ...JMO.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 3

I'd take the trade down.  Unless Jordan Love is brutally bad the rest of the season, and I mean like LV game bad that's the only way I'd consider taking a QB that high.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd take the trade down.  Unless Jordan Love is brutally bad the rest of the season, and I mean like LV game bad that's the only way I'd consider taking a QB that high.

Plus one never know how things are going to play out...Rodgers was in the running for first overall and then he slid down to the 20s.

I look at the niners approach to QB.  They gave up a heavy price, several 1st round picks for Lance.  They soon realized he wasnt it and moved on.  We got Love for a 1st and a 4th.  Peanuts in comparison, and worth the risk.  The most important thing is finding a QB who can lead you to the post season and Super Bowl.  The investment is important but knowing when the QB isn't the guy is important too.  I dont know where the Packers are with Love, but you have to be willing to move on if he's not the guy, and not drag this out.   I still have hope Love pans out, but they need to be ready to move on if the right QB for them is there.  JMO.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, pgwingman said:

In a heartbeat, yes I take the offer.

We have Clifford.  :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Knowing the TT disciple that Gute is, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a 2008 style draft even if Love plays decent this season. Maybe not two QBs like 2008, but I bet we see one in the first 3 rounds.

That depends on how we feel about Clifford. Once Wolf found Detmer or TT found Flynn they stayed put for a while. It’s hard to keep 3 QBs on the roster although you do it if you have a guy you think could develop, Purdy being a frustratingly successful example. 

On 10/20/2023 at 8:49 AM, NFLGURU said:

I look at the niners approach to QB.  They gave up a heavy price, several 1st round picks for Lance.  They soon realized he wasnt it and moved on.  We got Love for a 1st and a 4th.  Peanuts in comparison, and worth the risk.  The most important thing is finding a QB who can lead you to the post season and Super Bowl.  The investment is important but knowing when the QB isn't the guy is important too.  I dont know where the Packers are with Love, but you have to be willing to move on if he's not the guy, and not drag this out.   I still have hope Love pans out, but they need to be ready to move on if the right QB for them is there.  JMO.

Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh…these well-run teams lost HOF QBs and are finally being hammered down by the thousand cuts that come from drafting in the twenties and avoiding the pitfalls of aggressive FA.

If the league model works, we will have to suck kind of deliberately in order to re-load key talent. I think Love could still be good enough to win playoff football. I think getting another three excellent players out of the next couple of drafts can be achieved.

What I have lost faith in is coaching, not the quarterback situation. (That said, I have no problem with drafting a quarterback if Gute’s board shows it and the pick can’t be moved.)

I don’t want Gute to be guaranteed a chance to draft one more quarterback. I want him to be guaranteed a chance to hire one more Head Coach.

• Like 1