We Can Still Crack the Top Ten

MacReady

24 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m going to highly doubt that but guess there’s no way to know .

Nobody should be advocating for it. If he’s there when we pick he should be the guy unless we can get Williams at 1

I'm in, but this is an organization that hasn't taken a WR in the first round since 2002 (over 20 years).  They haven't been super high in the draft often, so maybe that would chance the equation some.  I doubt it.

45 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Two of those guys hit free agency in two more years. You'd have Harrison Jr. under contract for an additional 3 years after that. To date, neither Doubs or Watson has earned a second contract. At least not to the level you'd be fearful of losing them. 

Also, look at our injury history with this group of WR. Watson is out way too much, and Doubs has been nicked up as well. We would have 4 WRs who the defense would have to account for, plus Wicks. 

You may say that is overkill, but we've invested 2-2's, a 4th and 5th in our current group. Name a contender who has invested less over the past 4-5 years? 

I don't especially disagree with any of this.  I just don't think this will be the way Gute sees it.

18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Caleb Williams is a hell of a quarterback. He gives me a weird vibe, like he's a bit of a flake. Don't know what it is, but it's there for sure for me. Maybe it was the black nail polish last year. 

Not that Williams is even an option for GB but I would take an easy pass on the guy. Look at his performances against quality teams. It is such a stark contrast I would be very cautious.

17 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

WR is a luxury position. If we're in position to draft MHJ, trade the pick for a haul. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Doesn't matter if you have prime randy moss and Calvin Johnson if your QB gets hit 2 seconds after dropping back.

For me it's the added value gained by that WR. Is the addition of MHJ a big enough addition to the game over what a top tier LT would bring? WR just doesn't move the needle that much in comparison to other positions. He may be a generational talent but it's at a position that can be covered up by a group rather than an individual. If GB is drafting in the top 5 the value of the LT is, 99.9% of the time, going be higher than the WR.

12 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

Not that Williams is even an option for GB but I would take an easy pass on the guy. Look at his performances against quality teams. It is such a stark contrast I would be very cautious.

I think the kid is legit a franchise QB. Those kinds of guys do bust on occasion, and he could. He has all the tools though and I don't think lack of competition is something that will weigh against him. It's not like USC is or has been loaded with talent since he's been there. 

Their defense sucks and I'm not sure they have another 1st or 2nd round pick on the roster in 2024. I could be wrong about that but 

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think the kid is legit a franchise QB. Those kinds of guys do bust on occasion, and he could. He has all the tools though and I don't think lack of competition is something that will weigh against him. It's not like USC is or has been loaded with talent since he's been there. 

Their defense sucks and I'm not sure they have another 1st or 2nd round pick on the roster in 2024. I could be wrong about that but 

He hasn't lacked opportunity against good competition, but when he comes against that competition he plays quite poorly. Yes, his defense is terrible, but they have very good offensive talent. I honestly do no think he will be a very good QB in the NFL. He will have his moments, but the bad will outweigh the good. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm in, but this is an organization that hasn't taken a WR in the first round since 2002 (over 20 years).  They haven't been super high in the draft often, so maybe that would chance the equation some.  I doubt it.

I think we can throw history out of the window if the Packers have a top 3 pick this year. They've never really had a shot at a WR like Julio/Megatron/Chase.

57 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

WR is a luxury position. If we're in position to draft MHJ, trade the pick for a haul. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Doesn't matter if you have prime randy moss and Calvin Johnson if your QB gets hit 2 seconds after dropping back.

You take the best player available period. If Harrison is there at two you take him. 

Edited by landoc88

59 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

When are starting OL was out there week 1, an OL that most thought was one of the best in the league, which one was a top 10 pick? 1st round pick?

Sitton, Lang, Bakh and Tom have all been 4ths, Jenkins was a 2nd, Linsley was day 3. This group can evaluate OL.

I would love to get a stud OL with our high pick, but if MHJ is there I take him knowing I also can get a stud OL later as I have many times before.