Cubs sign RHP Tyler Chatwood

ramssuperbowl99

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Chatwood is going to have a season where he breaks 150 IP in, but has 150 IP of borderline ace results. Dude's legit.

I hate Theo Epstein with all my heart for this.

Am I missing something?  Doesn't eat a ton of innings and hasn't exactly been dominant when he's pitched.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Am I missing something?  Doesn't eat a ton of innings and hasn't exactly been dominant when he's pitched.

Yeah Chatwood is a breakout waiting to happen.

He's 28, and picked up 2.5 mph of velocity last season. Now he sits 94 and touches way higher. He's able to get by in Coors with a cutter that is a good pitch for ground balls, but can't miss bats.

You get him out of Coors (last year he had an ERA of 3.00 or so away from Coors Field), and let him throw his breaking stuff more, he'll be really good. The spin rate on his curve is excellent but he was only able to throw it 10% of the time. Watching clips of his changeup, its a good pitch too, but he could only throw it 5% of the time because Coors kills soft stuff.

More upside versus his contract than any free agent in this class.

That all sounds good in theory but his biggest issue is consistently throwing strikes and has been his entire career. I do think he has a better chance of being worth his contract than what guys like Lynn or Cobb will get(which will be more than Chatwood)

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

That all sounds good in theory but his biggest issue is consistently throwing strikes and has been his entire career. I do think he has a better chance of being worth his contract than what guys like Lynn or Cobb will get(which will be more than Chatwood)

Because he can't throw breaking stuff in Coors and has to nibble, so no one swings at pitches outside the zone. You get him in a spot where he can mix his pitches, he'll start getting bad swings and it will come together.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And also significantly more risk.

Little risk monetarily.  He's getting paid a good bit less than Lackey did in 2017 to be the #5 starter.  That injury history sucks though.  Have to wonder if increased curve usage outside of Colorado will cause the elbow to bark again.

But if the elbow holds up, I really like this guy to take a big step forward in Chicago.  He is a monster at getting GBs, and he would be playing in front of arguably the best defensive IF in baseball.  He's a statcast wet dream with his pitches and is behind only Kershaw in road ERA over the past 2 years.  Plenty to be cautiously optimistic about.   

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because he can't throw breaking stuff in Coors and has to nibble, so no one swings at pitches outside the zone. You get him in a spot where he can mix his pitches, he'll start getting bad swings and it will come together.

Why does he have a higher BB% in his road starts than at home then? Again, this all sounds good in theory but issues with command/control have always been there with Chatwood, regardless of where he's pitching. Getting him outside of Coors will help but calling him a potential borderline ace is stretching it a lot IMO.

I'd also be very worried about the velocity jump considering this is a guy who has already had TJS twice and has a small frame for a pitcher. Compared to what Lynn and Cobb will fetch though, it's a good deal for the Cubs.

10 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Why does he have a higher BB% in his road starts than at home then? Again, this all sounds good in theory but issues with command/control have always been there with Chatwood, regardless of where he's pitching. Getting him outside of Coors will help but calling him a potential borderline ace is stretching it a lot IMO.

I'd also be very worried about the velocity jump considering this is a guy who has already had TJS twice and has a small frame for a pitcher. Compared to what Lynn and Cobb will fetch though, it's a good deal for the Cubs.

Because he's pitching the same way away that he is at home. Pitch mix isn't changing enough. His first strike and zone% are below average, but part of that will correct if he can get more swings at pitches out of the zone, which is why his walks are so much worse than just his strike throwing ability would indicate.

I'm not saying Chatwood is a completely finished product or anything. He's going to require some work and if he refuses to change at all from how he pitched in Coors then I wouldn't be very excited about him. But all of the ingredients are there and I think he puts it all together. 150 IP of borderline ace results (basically 3-ish ERA) is a prediction on my part, but I don't think its crazy to think that.

Archived