3 Big Questions in 2017

dhunt2402

• Will anyone challenge the Patriots in the AFC? No one really did last year, and it's tough to argue that the Patriots have done anything but get even better this offseason. The Raiders with a healthy Derek Carr are likely the closest to matching the Patriots, and the Broncos can never be counted out with their defense, but it seems like this will be another season where anything short of a Super Bowl appearance would be a severe disappointment.

• Who gets the targets in the passing game? Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan, Danny, the backs. Even for a pass happy team with the GOAT at quarterback that's a lot of hungry mouths to feed with targets. Will anyone surprise in that category? Will anyone be left out in the cold?

• Does anything happen with Jimmy Garoppolo before the trade deadline? The franchise number for QBs after the season will be prohibitively expensive, and would hamstring the team's ability to sign free agents once that period starts. Does BB wait out the year and take the risk with the tag or will a QB needy team make him an offer he can't refuse during the season?

1. I think the Dolphins are about as close as it's going to get but as far as competition in the division goes, I don't see Miami getting a playoff spot. Outside the division I do think Houston or Oakland could finish with a top 4 seed and make things interesting leading into the winter.

2. I think Amendola and Edelman see less volume but will still be targeted in the most dire situations. I think Brady will have some fun stretching the field using Hogan and new toy Cooks. I'm quite excited to see Cooks in the offense. Also curious to see how we use the TE's this year and how Gronk is eased back in.

3. I think a lot of the "when" for Jimmy G will be decided when we see Brady for the first half of the season. If he looks anywhere like last season you have to get the best haul for Jimmy and call it a day. As long as it's a 2nd or better I'm ecstatic. 

I wouldn't sleep on the Titans. They play in a relatively vulnerable division and if they can make the dance, they could pose problems with a good run game featuring two guys who can control the ball and the clock. 

Honestly, I am unsure how Cooks will fit in with the offense as far as targets go. Last season, we had guys who could run all the routes that Cooks typically runs. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017. 07. 25. at 2:27 AM, dhunt2402 said:
  • Will anyone challenge the Patriots in the AFC? No one really did last year, and it's tough to argue that the Patriots have done anything but get even better this offseason. The Raiders with a healthy Derek Carr are likely the closest to matching the Patriots, and the Broncos can never be counted out with their defense, but it seems like this will be another season where anything short of a Super Bowl appearance would be a severe disappointment.

• Who gets the targets in the passing game? Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan, Danny, the backs. Even for a pass happy team with the GOAT at quarterback that's a lot of hungry mouths to feed with targets. Will anyone surprise in that category? Will anyone be left out in the cold?

• Does anything happen with Jimmy Garoppolo before the trade deadline? The franchise number for QBs after the season will be prohibitively expensive, and would hamstring the team's ability to sign free agents once that period starts. Does BB wait out the year and take the risk with the tag or will a QB needy team make him an offer he can't refuse during the season?
  • As you said, the Raiders have the best chance, imo. I don't see any serious threats in the division, especially now that Tannehill is out (though Cutler might not be a downgrade, they're still losing their almost franchise QB), Buffalo having a new front office and rookie HC and the Jets being well below average. Outside the division and the Raiders the Texans seem threatening, but their QB situation is still unresolved and I don't expect Watson to have a Prescott-like rookie season with a worse supporting cast than Prescott had. KC and Denver may be dangerous, but the AFC West is a tough division itself, so hopefully they wear each other down by season's end. I'm not sure how far the Titans can go with Mularkey.

• I hope I'm not even remotely right here, but I think Gronk's numbers will suffer. Not sure how confident the coaching staff is with his health and availability and I can see him sidelined more with more targets available for Brady. He can hardly be replaced as an all-around TE, but Allen might steal some snaps from him too or the team can move to a less TE-friendly offense.

• I think the buzz died a bit around him and the teams he was mostly connected with (Browns, Texans) chose to draft a QB and groom their starter in-house. But if BB gets a lucrative offer during the season and Brady doesn't slow down, I can see him letting him go.

• I believe this team is really just plain better than the rest of the AFC. Raiders is indeed the team with the best potential to step up to us. Their offense is really good, specially if Lynch returns to his old form. 
  • They'll do what they always do, distribute. Just like last year I think that from game to game the main targets will rotate. The only think I'd add is that I believe that Gronk continues to be the guy to go on those late 4th quarters drivers when the game is in the line. Though I'd love to be wrong and see Cooks have a Randy Moss 07 like season.
  • I don't think we will have any news on that front until next off-season.

• Always have Pittsburgh and Denver in my mind for this question. Outside of those two, I can't really see anyone. Game against the Chiefs might be close. I think people are massively riding the Raiders too far
  • Mitchell and Danny might have to remain hungry some weeks

I think who can challenge them for the AFC depends on injuries - if the DL keeps getting hit then any AFC team with a good offense could win in  a shoot-out. That's the Steelers, Raiders or even the Titans. If the OL has any serious injuries then the Broncos could definitely beat them.

The targets are an interesting one - I feel like the glut of possible play-makers is a response to being to reliant on Edelman/Gronk. Especially Gronk. Him going down injured always shortens the field. Hogan countered that last year, but Cooks can take it to another level. I wouldn't be surprised if not a single one of them cross 1000 yards, or if 4 of them of did.

I don't see them trading JG before the deadline - I think they deliberately priced themselves out of the market in the off-season because they want him around. Time-defying, Dorian Grey-esque as he may be, Brady is still 40 years old. He could fall off any time. And people can tear ligaments at any age. JG is a good back-up to stop them wasting a stacked roster in the event the unthinkable happens.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 8:27 PM, dhunt2402 said:

Very curious on this whole development. Now that Brissett has been traded, I don't see them getting rid of Jimmy at the trade deadline. It looks like Brady is his same old great self so what happens at the end of the season? You guys just let Jimmy G and grab a 3rd round comp pick? I live in Woburn so I listen to all the local guys (mostly Sports Hub) but I'm at a loss here. What are you guys thinking about Jimmy G and his future with the Pats?

I kind of touched upon this in the Redskins forum but I'm not an expert at all. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Which Cousins leaving a possibility, Garropollo to the Redskins seems like a reasonable possibility if the card fell that direction. 

Every indication to me suggests that the Patriots view Jimmy has the Rodgers to Brady's Favre. Whether that comes to fruition or not, I am not sure. The only big name hitting FA for the Patriots this season is Solder (who they could be looking to replace) and Butler (who seems to be falling out of favor). That being said, if they want to keep Jimmy, he makes the most sense to Tag if they are willing to take that monetary hit and then work out a friendly extension. I'm not contract expert, but I thought they could put clauses in such a contract that payout more money for starts and another clause that allows him to void if he isnt making starts by so and so year. 

Then again, this could all be a master plan to raise Jimmy's value so BB can pry a haul out of some QB needy team. Who really knows?

Denver's offense, and Sieman have looked much better than I expected thus far. Super early, but they would be very tough playoff opponent on the road as we are all aware. Especially if CJ Anderson keeps running the ball the way he has.

That SNF matchup on 11/12 will be a big one.

22 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Denver's offense, and Sieman have looked much better than I expected thus far. Super early, but they would be very tough playoff opponent on the road as we are all aware. Especially if CJ Anderson keeps running the ball the way he has.

That SNF matchup on 11/12 will be a big one.

Lets see them away from their nest first. I'd fancy us every time in Fox. 

I'm not concerned about the running game at all and I thought one of the more interesting story lines going into this season was to see how McDaniels was going to use all the running backs. I am surprised by the lack of Dion Lewis. Which brings me to my point, it's clear he's surprised too, did anyone see his comments yesterday?

He's pretty clearly the 4th guy behind White, Gillislee, Burkhead when healthy. I'm not saying they move him. I like having depth at RB for once. But I was surprised to hear those comments.

James White has really turned into a great back. His running ability now opposed to when he was a rookie is night and day. I remember you could practically blow on him and he'd fall over. Brady raves about him. I'm glad we extended him this off-season.

James White looks like a totally different player in the past year+ than he did in 2015. He's much more confident in his running, looks stronger and has developed excellent chemistry with Brady. He deserves a lot of credit for putting the work in and earning his place as the team's most reliable RB

That said, Burkhead is the most talented of the bunch. Whether or not he can develop enough understanding of the pass game to be as reliable as White remains to be seen. Hopefully, they re-sign Burkhead as he's a perfect fit for what the team does and he's much more useful than Lewis 

Archived