dhunt2402

3 Big Questions in 2017

8 posts in this topic

dhunt2402    5
  • Will anyone challenge the Patriots in the AFC? No one really did last year, and it's tough to argue that the Patriots have done anything but get even better this offseason. The Raiders with a healthy Derek Carr are likely the closest to matching the Patriots, and the Broncos can never be counted out with their defense, but it seems like this will be another season where anything short of a Super Bowl appearance would be a severe disappointment.

• Who gets the targets in the passing game? Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan, Danny, the backs. Even for a pass happy team with the GOAT at quarterback that's a lot of hungry mouths to feed with targets. Will anyone surprise in that category? Will anyone be left out in the cold?

• Does anything happen with Jimmy Garoppolo before the trade deadline? The franchise number for QBs after the season will be prohibitively expensive, and would hamstring the team's ability to sign free agents once that period starts. Does BB wait out the year and take the risk with the tag or will a QB needy team make him an offer he can't refuse during the season?

I_GET_SAX    8

1. I think the Dolphins are about as close as it's going to get but as far as competition in the division goes, I don't see Miami getting a playoff spot. Outside the division I do think Houston or Oakland could finish with a top 4 seed and make things interesting leading into the winter.

2. I think Amendola and Edelman see less volume but will still be targeted in the most dire situations. I think Brady will have some fun stretching the field using Hogan and new toy Cooks. I'm quite excited to see Cooks in the offense. Also curious to see how we use the TE's this year and how Gronk is eased back in.

3. I think a lot of the "when" for Jimmy G will be decided when we see Brady for the first half of the season. If he looks anywhere like last season you have to get the best haul for Jimmy and call it a day. As long as it's a 2nd or better I'm ecstatic. 

Deadpulse    64

I wouldn't sleep on the Titans. They play in a relatively vulnerable division and if they can make the dance, they could pose problems with a good run game featuring two guys who can control the ball and the clock. 

Honestly, I am unsure how Cooks will fit in with the offense as far as targets go. Last season, we had guys who could run all the routes that Cooks typically runs. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

LD696    3
On 2017. 07. 25. at 2:27 AM, dhunt2402 said:
  • Will anyone challenge the Patriots in the AFC? No one really did last year, and it's tough to argue that the Patriots have done anything but get even better this offseason. The Raiders with a healthy Derek Carr are likely the closest to matching the Patriots, and the Broncos can never be counted out with their defense, but it seems like this will be another season where anything short of a Super Bowl appearance would be a severe disappointment.

• Who gets the targets in the passing game? Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, Mitchell, Hogan, Danny, the backs. Even for a pass happy team with the GOAT at quarterback that's a lot of hungry mouths to feed with targets. Will anyone surprise in that category? Will anyone be left out in the cold?

• Does anything happen with Jimmy Garoppolo before the trade deadline? The franchise number for QBs after the season will be prohibitively expensive, and would hamstring the team's ability to sign free agents once that period starts. Does BB wait out the year and take the risk with the tag or will a QB needy team make him an offer he can't refuse during the season?
  • As you said, the Raiders have the best chance, imo. I don't see any serious threats in the division, especially now that Tannehill is out (though Cutler might not be a downgrade, they're still losing their almost franchise QB), Buffalo having a new front office and rookie HC and the Jets being well below average. Outside the division and the Raiders the Texans seem threatening, but their QB situation is still unresolved and I don't expect Watson to have a Prescott-like rookie season with a worse supporting cast than Prescott had. KC and Denver may be dangerous, but the AFC West is a tough division itself, so hopefully they wear each other down by season's end. I'm not sure how far the Titans can go with Mularkey.

• I hope I'm not even remotely right here, but I think Gronk's numbers will suffer. Not sure how confident the coaching staff is with his health and availability and I can see him sidelined more with more targets available for Brady. He can hardly be replaced as an all-around TE, but Allen might steal some snaps from him too or the team can move to a less TE-friendly offense.

• I think the buzz died a bit around him and the teams he was mostly connected with (Browns, Texans) chose to draft a QB and groom their starter in-house. But if BB gets a lucrative offer during the season and Brady doesn't slow down, I can see him letting him go.

atmer    5
  • I believe this team is really just plain better than the rest of the AFC. Raiders is indeed the team with the best potential to step up to us. Their offense is really good, specially if Lynch returns to his old form. 
  • They'll do what they always do, distribute. Just like last year I think that from game to game the main targets will rotate. The only think I'd add is that I believe that Gronk continues to be the guy to go on those late 4th quarters drivers when the game is in the line. Though I'd love to be wrong and see Cooks have a Randy Moss 07 like season.
  • I don't think we will have any news on that front until next off-season.

Hunter2_1    19
  • Always have Pittsburgh and Denver in my mind for this question. Outside of those two, I can't really see anyone. Game against the Chiefs might be close. I think people are massively riding the Raiders too far
  • Mitchell and Danny might have to remain hungry some weeks

Edited by Hunter2_1

I think who can challenge them for the AFC depends on injuries - if the DL keeps getting hit then any AFC team with a good offense could win in  a shoot-out. That's the Steelers, Raiders or even the Titans. If the OL has any serious injuries then the Broncos could definitely beat them.

The targets are an interesting one - I feel like the glut of possible play-makers is a response to being to reliant on Edelman/Gronk. Especially Gronk. Him going down injured always shortens the field. Hogan countered that last year, but Cooks can take it to another level. I wouldn't be surprised if not a single one of them cross 1000 yards, or if 4 of them of did.

I don't see them trading JG before the deadline - I think they deliberately priced themselves out of the market in the off-season because they want him around. Time-defying, Dorian Grey-esque as he may be, Brady is still 40 years old. He could fall off any time. And people can tear ligaments at any age. JG is a good back-up to stop them wasting a stacked roster in the event the unthinkable happens.