Practice Squad DE Hunter Dimick transitioning to FB

pwny

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/former-all-american-defensive-end-hunter-dimick-transitioning-to-fullback-on-jaguars-practice-squad/497867267

Despite being Utah's all-time sacks leader, Dimick was unable to earn an active roster spot during training camp and the preseason.

Stuck behind a talented group of Jaguars defensive linemen, Dimick's shot at the 53-man roster was slim. Following final cuts, Dimick signed with the Jacksonville practice squad, looking to hone his skills with some added coaching.

That opportunity came with another: a position change.

Dimick is currently cross-training at the fullback position. He was approached by running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley during a practice session earlier in the season.

With nothing to lose, Dimick jumped at the challenge and he has been working with the running backs ever since.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

He is a really good athlete. If he transitions well, he could be a versatile FB threat that we haven't really had since Greg Jones and Montell Owens.*

*aside from maybe Tyson Alualu. fight me.

Lol

Interesting for sure though. Probably not going to cut it at DE, so see if there's another spot where he could find success at. Good idea imo.

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Only 1-2 inches taller than Greg Jones.

Oh, okay.  Well if he's the next Greg Jones then...

More realistically, he's way outside the range of conventionally good FBs, mostly the wrong build, and has done absolutely nothing whatsoever to think he's even capable of being a decent FB, much less a Greg Jones.

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Oh, okay.  Well if he's the next Greg Jones then...

More realistically, he's way outside the range of conventionally good FBs, mostly the wrong build, and has done absolutely nothing whatsoever to think he's even capable of being a decent FB, much less a Greg Jones.

So because I presented you with a FB that we all knpw pretty well who had a similar height (after you said "Isn't he too big to be a FB"), that means that I'm now comparing him talent wise to said FB?

Come on. Just giving you an example of another guy who played the position that was also big. The guy is a practice squad player, he isn't making it on our roster as a DE so we're giving him a go at a different position that the staff thinks he may work well at. That's all this is.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So because I presented you with a FB that we all knpw pretty well who had a similar height (after you said "Isn't he too big to be a FB"), that means that I'm now comparing him talent wise to said FB?

Come on. Just giving you an example of another guy who played the position that was also big. The guy is a practice squad player, he isn't making it on our roster as a DE so we're giving him a go at a different position that the staff thinks he may work well at. That's all this is.

Big =/= Tall.  These are not the same things.

Also relevant to the whole Lamar Jacksonville thing tbh.

7 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

He wasn't invited to the combine, but based on his Pro Day he athletically tested out in the green in almost every category for DEs.

Ah, my mistake. I just assumed because Justis typically doesn't like using Pro Day numbers, but if that was all that was available to him, that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Big =/= Tall.  These are not the same things.

Also relevant to the whole Lamar Jacksonville thing tbh.

When did I say it was the same thing? You said isn't Dimick way too tall to play FB. He isn't. Just because it isn't ordinary doesn't mean that playing at 6'2'-6'3' won't work. Guys have played fullback before right around that size. As I said, only brought up Greg Jones because he was right around that same height and was an elite FB or us for a long-time. Had nothing to do with skill/anything else really.

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

When did I say it was the same thing? You said isn't Dimick way too tall to play FB. He isn't. Just because it isn't ordinary doesn't mean that playing at 6'2'-6'3' won't work. Guys have played fullback before right around that size. As I said, only brought up Greg Jones because he was right around that same height and was an elite FB or us for a long-time. Had nothing to do with skill/anything else really.

And he had a very different build.  So what exactly are you getting at?

Just now, Tugboat said:

And he had a very different build.  So what exactly are you getting at?

51 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Isn't he like way the heck too tall to be a good FB?

I was replying to this.

Not sure where it changed to build.

Archived