State of Titans convo: Non-game specific

deeluxx3

33 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Two top 11 picks, a highly priced, coveted FA center, a second round pick and a third round pick. Coached by one of the two or three greatest OL coaches in my lifetime. If we can’t find a way to have a functional line this time next year without sinking more serious resources into it, it might be time to just give up.

What else can we do? 
Whoever is scouting OL needs to be fired I guess?

25 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Two top 11 picks, a highly priced, coveted FA center, a second round pick and a third round pick. Coached by one of the two or three greatest OL coaches in my lifetime. If we can’t find a way to have a functional line this time next year without sinking more serious resources into it, it might be time to just give up.

i'm not saying everything is peachy with the OL- obviously to this point, RT is a flaming disaster and skoronski has been disappointing. but i genuinely do think people should have higher expectations of the QB. frankly, after a combined decade of mariota, tannehill, and now levis we've gotten too used to watching guys with pocket presence ranging from mediocre to flat-out awful. i posted that james foster breakdown in the other thread and of course there are some plays like the strip sack where levis just didn't have a chance and the line play was inexcusably bad. but there were at least three where there were plays to be made and levis just ran/drifted into the pressure and ate a sack. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

What else can we do? 
Whoever is scouting OL needs to be fired I guess?

Scout better really is most of it. Packers won yesterday with two Day 3 picks at OT. We really need to be able to get two serviceable players on the right side without having to sink another top 40 pick to do it.

Though as @-Hope- said, Levis movement in the pocket and overall decision making has also compounded the bad OL. He has plays where he’s hesitant, plays where he’s completely flat footed and plays where his footwork fails and he just kind of blindly drifts into a pressure that shouldn’t have existed.

Which isn’t entirely on him. Bad habits that you’re trying to be coached out of are most likely to show themselves in panic situation. And God knows our line has given him plenty of those moments.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Scout better really is most of it. Packers won yesterday with two Day 3 picks at OT. We really need to be able to get two serviceable players on the right side without having to sink another top 40 pick to do it.

Though as @-Hope- said, Levis movement in the pocket and overall decision making has also compounded the bad OL. He has plays where he’s hesitant, plays where he’s completely flat footed and plays where his footwork fails and he just kind of blindly drifts into a pressure that shouldn’t have existed.

Which isn’t entirely on him. Bad habits that you’re trying to be coached out of are most likely to show themselves in panic situation. And God knows our line has given him plenty of those moments.

The hesitation, I can picture him with two QBs on his shoulder. 
One saying: Rocket it into Burks or flip it to Pollard. 
Other saying: Burks is going to drop it. The defender is too close to Pollard. Don't do it. Don't turn it over. Don't fumble it. Run, but protect the ball. Try to jump over them. lol

He plays like he isn't confident in what he is doing. At some points, it like he is confident, I'm going to drill this ball to Boyd between two defenders. Other times, it's that defender looks too close. 

The OL isn't going to give him enough time to cycle through those decisions. He has to make one and live with it. 
On that breakdown video it's points where he could throw with anticipation. And there are others where the WRs are blanketed and he drifts or escapes poorly. 

It's a band all playing different notes to the same song. It's out of tune and it's just not flowing. 

27 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i'm not saying everything is peachy with the OL- obviously to this point, RT is a flaming disaster and skoronski has been disappointing. but i genuinely do think people should have higher expectations of the QB. frankly, after a combined decade of mariota, tannehill, and now levis we've gotten too used to watching guys with pocket presence ranging from mediocre to flat-out awful. i posted that james foster breakdown in the other thread and of course there are some plays like the strip sack where levis just didn't have a chance and the line play was inexcusably bad. but there were at least three where there were plays to be made and levis just ran/drifted into the pressure and ate a sack. 

Agreed. I would also add that before games started, we all told ourselves that OL improvement would not be instant. Then the Jets game made it look like it was going to happen sooner rhan I think we would have expected, and now it’s regressed.

The OL will be better, but it will not happen in a week. Change will probably be incremental, and may not come until developmental guys behind the bad starters begin to develop and are ready to overtake them. Be patient. The OL isn’t a finished product and needs more quality players, obviously. But I don’t think this is as good as it’s going to get either.

32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed. I would also add that before games started, we all told ourselves that OL improvement would not be instant. Then the Jets game made it look like it was going to happen sooner rhan I think we would have expected, and now it’s regressed.

The OL will be better, but it will not happen in a week. Change will probably be incremental, and may not come until developmental guys behind the bad starters begin to develop and are ready to overtake them. Be patient. The OL isn’t a finished product and needs more quality players, obviously. But I don’t think this is as good as it’s going to get either.

My expectation was to see fundamental improvement. I expected some losses one on one. But as an unit, I was hoping to see more unison and fundamental solid play. 
NPF, I just don't know. Then this morning Ramon Foster talked about he saw his body language of IDGAF and being distant. Then add on him trying to be a fantasy football guru or whatever. So disappointed in him and his play. 

Like you said it's early and I even think about Dawand Jones last year took some time to get it. 

But big disappointment in how guys are getting worked and beaten. I can take not catching a stunt or losing a rep. But that right side is getting abused. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

My expectation was to see fundamental improvement. I expected some losses one on one. But as an unit, I was hoping to see more unison and fundamental solid play. 
NPF, I just don't know. Then this morning Ramon Foster talked about he saw his body language of IDGAF and being distant. Then add on him trying to be a fantasy football guru or whatever. So disappointed in him and his play. 

Like you said it's early and I even think about Dawand Jones last year took some time to get it. 

But big disappointment in how guys are getting worked and beaten. I can take not catching a stunt or losing a rep. But that right side is getting abused. 

NPF seems like another one of those Vrabel/JRob "really loves ball" acquisitions that truly does not love ball.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

NPF seems like another one of those Vrabel/JRob "really loves ball" acquisitions that truly does not love ball.

now that you mention it, it actually seems kind of insane how much of a pattern this was from a staff and FO that seemed to emphasize that above all else. what the hell was going on in those interviews lol

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

I mentioned it in another thread, but yesterday just felt like one of those "defining" games (for all the wrong reasons) that show just how far away we are and, more than anything, how we don't have a capable QB.

Expectations are pretty low for me the rest of the year. A week ago I was preaching time and patience, but there was just something about how yesterday went down that really made me realize that...it's not going to happen w/ this group w/ this QB.

18 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I mentioned it in another thread, but yesterday just felt like one of those "defining" games (for all the wrong reasons) that show just how far away we are and, more than anything, how we don't have a capable QB.

Expectations are pretty low for me the rest of the year. A week ago I was preaching time and patience, but there was just something about how yesterday went down that really made me realize that...it's not going to happen w/ this group w/ this QB.

I think our best case scenario this season (and this is peak optimism) is we start clicking in the right places all of a sudden and get streaky sometime in November. I just hope we don't rip off 5 wins in the last leg of the season only for that progress to not translate into next year.

56 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Random thought. Watching Dalton highlights. Made me think the Carolina QB works better with vets like Mayfield and Dalton. 

Maybe Cally's system isn't made for young/rookie QBs. 

Most of the QBs he worked with were vets 

Burrow might be the outlier. 

Just random thought. 

I was thinking about this earlier to some degree too, but it was more in the thought of I don't know if Levis is the right style QB for Cally's system. His system is predicated on quick passes, timing, and taking shots downfield when they present themselves. Levis has never really been a "get the ball out quick" guy. His hero ball syndrome definitely plays a role in that, but I don't know if he'll ever fix his internal clock to the point where it's "see it rip it" immediately. I just don't think that's how he's wired. 

I genuinely think our entire offense would look better with Rudolph under center right now. I think the Oline would actually look a bit better by proxy because Rudolph would be making quicker decisions, and I think we'd be better off overall because Rudolph wouldn't be turning the ball over the way Levis is. 

I know there's a way bigger discussion there with draft implications and all that if you throw Rudolph in there, but I think just purely from an on the field football standpoint for this season, Rudolph would give us the best chance to see how this offense is actually supposed to operate. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Random thought. Watching Dalton highlights. Made me think the Carolina QB works better with vets like Mayfield and Dalton. 

Maybe Cally's system isn't made for young/rookie QBs. 

Most of the QBs he worked with were vets 

Burrow might be the outlier. 

Just random thought. 

Okay so explain the QB that played well for the bengals when Burrow went down last yr 🤔. I don’t think it’s about a veteran or young QB it’s simple reads get the ball out, Levi’s just struggling mentally 

5 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay so explain the QB that played well for the bengals when Burrow went down last yr 🤔. I don’t think it’s about a veteran or young QB it’s simple reads get the ball out, Levi’s just struggling mentally 

I said Burrow is the outlier. Meaning he wasn't the typical young player. 

Maybe if we draft a another QB they won't be typical either. 

It was just a ransom thought. Nothing to really build on.