Would you collude in this scenario?

Forge

Seriously, honest answers to this scenario. I'm just curious. Yes, its collusion, which is awful, but also, could be in your own self interest to preserve your season. I can see how some would defend it as strategy. 

So I have an interesting scenario in my league. There are 4 teams vying for the final 2 playoff spots. 2 8-5 teams, 2 7-6 teams. In a twist of fate, the 8-5 teams play each other and the 7-6 teams play each other. I'm one of the 7-6 teams, and I hold the tie breaker on everyone (most points scored; I'm the highest scoring team in the league, have had the second fewest points scored against me...don't ask how I'm 7-6) and my opponent also has the tie breaker over the 8-5 teams. So basically, if I win, I'm in. 

In my game, my opponent was heavily invested in last night's game, and I had one player going. It did not work out well for him - I had Michael Thomas, who outscored all three of his players going last night combined (Matt Ryan, Mark Ingram, Kamara). I'm up 24 - 16.5, I have 9 left to play, he has 7. So this is a great start for me to look like I'm going to win. 

So here's my question - if you were one of the 8-5 teams, neither of whom had a player go last night and currently sit at 0-0, would you talk to your opponent about benching everyone and taking the tie to get in? They have no hopes on the tie breaker - both of them trail my opponent and I by over 120 points for the year. There is some risk - I could still lose this game of course, and then my opponent would knock out one of them out since he holds tie breaker on whoever loses that game. However, if I win, and they both tie, they both get in. 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:37 PM, Remixxxxxxx said:

I would not and if it was my league I would make sure something like this never happened. Everyone else played fair to get into the playoffs no reason for two folks to bend the rules. 

But is it actually in the rules? I understand that some leagues do address tanking, but others do not. If the league doesn't address it, then is it actually against the rules?

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea i think that is a major issue if someone would go that far to do that. Never crossed my mind but yea thats not cool

I don't think they'd actually do it. Hard to trust the other person. But if they agree to it, and the rules don't address an issue like it (and/or if it has never been addressed by the commissioner), then it'd be hard for me to argue that it isn't permissible. Shady, Not Cool, and collusive, but I can definitely see it as strategy.

5 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Is week 17 the week of the championship game?

Nope. Only 4 teams out of the 12 make it. 2 rounds of playoffs, and championship game is only one week. I know years ago that we did a two week super bowl structure, I'm not sure why it got changed. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Nope. Only 4 teams out of the 12 make it. 2 rounds of playoffs, and championship game is only one week. I know years ago that we did a two week super bowl structure, I'm not sure why it got changed. 

Yeah, makes sense why playoffs aren't this week then. Only 2 rounds, so you get an extra week of the regular season.

I personally like 2 week Championship Games. I know others don't though.

8 minutes ago, the lone star said:

I don't think they'd actually do it. Hard to trust the other person. But if they agree to it, and the rules don't address an issue like it (and/or if it has never been addressed by the commissioner), then it'd be hard for me to argue that it isn't permissible. Shady, Not Cool, and collusive, but I can definitely see it as strategy.

This is actually where I'm at. I don't think that I could ever trust somebody to do that, but I get how it's actually a strategy and the rules don't disallow it, so to speak. This is my money league, and we are all friends, so I can't imagine anyone would do it, but at the same time, in the like 10 years we have been doing this league, I've won it like 5 times, finished runner up 3 other times lol. They may just be getting tired of me there at the end (in fairness, it's not that I'm super good or anything, but some of the other are really, really bad)

1 minute ago, Forge said:

This is actually where I'm at. I don't think that I could ever trust somebody to do that, but I get how it's actually a strategy and the rules don't disallow it, so to speak. This is my money league, and we are all friends, so I can't imagine anyone would do it, but at the same time, in the like 10 years we have been doing this league, I've won it like 5 times, finished runner up 3 other times lol. They may just be getting tired of me there at the end (in fairness, it's not that I'm super good or anything, but some of the other are really, really bad)

Would you complain it they decided to make it a tie? If so, how do you think the commissioner will handle it?

Archived