The MVP race

Steelersfan43

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

Maybe the Cam Newton Panthers?

I don't remember if they were necessarily better on defense, but I thought they were really good.

The advanced stats had their defense better than their offense like football outsiders  but I think they were number one in raw points per game. 

59 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Reid is pretty good coming off a bye week, ain't he?

Yes, but this has been a weird year. The WRs have been doo doo, and lots of systemic issues. Hopefully it’s tightened up by next Monday 

58 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Our pass D has done wonders for Dak, Mac, Howellx2, and Kirk, so just be patient til Monday night.

The Chiefs game plan should be throw at whoever James Bradberry is defending. You'll likely get a PI or a completion.

It’s on a Monday? Brutal, making us wait a whole bye week and weekend

11 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

We absolutely should be discussing candidates - hence my confusion.

I love how strong the anti Dallas bias is on this forum and everywhere in general. It’s amusing that no one bats an eye at Stroud and Hurts being mentioned, but if Dak’s name gets mentioned people want to have an attitude. Same for really any other WB at this point, really. 

Based on his play over the last many games he has obviously played his way into the conversation. If he keeps going on his current trend it would be outright crazy to leave him out of the conversation.

But people are more interested in the absolutely crazy takes such as him being threatened by Lance, Dallas looking for a way to move on, etc. 

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

I love how strong the anti Dallas bias is on this forum and everywhere in general. It’s amusing that no one bats an eye at Stroud and Hurts being mentioned, but if Dak’s name gets mentioned people want to have an attitude. Same for really any other WB at this point, really. 

Based on his play over the last many games he has obviously played his way into the conversation. If he keeps going on his current trend it would be outright crazy to leave him out of the conversation.

But people are more interested in the absolutely crazy takes such as him being threatened by Lance, Dallas looking for a way to move on, etc. 

If he maintains his pace, he’ll be in the conversation. For now, he isn’t. Not sure why that’s a controversial take?

I’ll ignore the other nonsense about Lance or whatever because it has nothing to do with anything I’ve said.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

2008 Peyton Manning 

This is not the case if we look at points per drive and time of possession

The colts offense in 2008 were first in time of possession per drive(despite to have one of the worst running game in the league)3rd in points per drive and 3rd in yards per drive

On defense they were 32nd in time of possession per drive,27th in yards per drive and 12th in points per drive

2008 Indianapolis Colts Rosters, Stats, Schedule, Team Draftees | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think a few of us had him after last week.

Right now, he's +2000 on FanDuel and that seems nuts to me. I fully expected him to be around +500 or so and was going to argue he should be a frontrunner around +300 with the others. I'm probably going to have to lose a couple bucks on this. 

I mean - if the alien overlords came today, he's the MVP imo.

know people use the rookie argument against him, but quite contrarily I believe the rookie bias will be in favor of him. People love rookies and are cretainly going to want to give him MVP over a third Mahomes or even a second Lamar. The bar for them to get extras is higher, especially with great defenses. He will certainly gain more sympathy than a Dak, imo. It's just a feel good story everyone can get behind.

I also know that many people think that he needs wins to get the award and that's true. But I don't think the bar is quite as high as other QBs, because the dude is taking over a #2 overall pick poop franchise (no offense) and turned it into some real dawgs in year one. I think if he makes the playoffs, that's enough. I don't even think he needs to win the division. 

I almost took a stab last week around +10000. Feels like the last chance to get on the train.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

He entered it last week. If you made a list of MVP candidates, and place by the most important metric of efficiency followed by bulk stats, Stroud is #1 in MVP last week and this week. He has to keep the pace up and finish 10-7 with a playoff berth. Unlikely, but possible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

If he maintains his pace, he’ll be in the conversation. For now, he isn’t. Not sure why that’s a controversial take?

I’ll ignore the other nonsense about Lance or whatever because it has nothing to do with anything I’ve said.

Because no one else is saying “only if they maintain their pace” about the other candidates. The rest of my post was in regards to the usual dismissal that Prescott faces in favor of pretending like he isn’t very good.

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Because no one else is saying “only if they maintain their pace” about the other candidates. The rest of my post was in regards to the usual dismissal that Prescott faces in favor of pretending like he isn’t very good.

The other candidates (not Trevor Lawrence)... are in the conversation now.

Dak... is not. 

That's why we don't need to say the others need to maintain their pace to enter the conversation.

Hope this helps. 

Normally I’m all aboard the “if you’re 4th, 5th, 6th, maybe even 3rd in potential votes, you’re not actually in the conversation” wagon (because 1st and 2nd place are really the only two possible candidates) but this year is wonky. Really anyone’s race at this point, so if you even have a shot at it, you sorta are “in the conversation”. 

Biggest issues with the Dak or Stroud possibilities are the wins - how many MVPs do we have that aren’t top 1 or 2 seeds in their conference? Shrug. I think anything could happen this year.