The MVP race

Steelersfan43

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

The other candidates (not Trevor Lawrence)... are in the conversation now.

Dak... is not. 

That's why we don't need to say the others need to maintain their pace to enter the conversation.

Hope this helps. 

You’re not really providing any substance behind that idea, though. Dak is playing on that level and has the production and team success to back up the bid. He has clearly been on the level as other candidates that no one is questioning in this thread. If you have no problem listing Hurts and Stroud, it’s silly to act like Dak is out of the same conversation. If his team ends up taking the East and a strong playoff seed it’ll only further his case. 

23 hours ago, LieutenantGains said:

The worst MVP race since the 2008 abomination.

You mean most competitive,  right? Fact we're even discussing WR and Defensive players just means there's not 1 or 2 players running away with it, which is fine.

We're at the 1/2 way point of the season, someone will emerge from the pack. That I'm certain and be deserving. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

You’re not really providing any substance behind that idea, though. Dak is playing on that level and has the production and team success to back up the bid. He has clearly been on the level as other candidates that no one is questioning in this thread. If you have no problem listing Hurts and Stroud, it’s silly to act like Dak is out of the same conversation. If his team ends up taking the East and a strong playoff seed it’ll only further his case. 

I mean to an extent that's true but at some point you have to limit the discussion some by only including the guys who are considered the top candidates.

If you throw Dak in you have to throw Goff in, both are similar in that they've beaten up on weaker teams while they've struggled against the better teams. Even as a Lions fan I don't really think Goff is in the discussion right now... Could he get there? Sure but as of now I don't see him as a top contender so I'm not going to add him to the discussion which is the same way I view Dak right now.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I mean to an extent that's true but at some point you have to limit the discussion some by only including the guys who are considered the top candidates.

If you throw Dak in you have to throw Goff in, both are similar in that they've beaten up on weaker teams while they've struggled against the better teams. Even as a Lions fan I don't really think Goff is in the discussion right now... Could he get there? Sure but as of now I don't see him as a top contender so I'm not going to add him to the discussion which is the same way I view Dak right now.

How did Dak do against the Eagles? Nearly 400 yards of offense with three touchdowns.. would have had 4 if Schoonmaker didn’t get tackled before the ball arrived, leaving him like half an inch from a TD that very well could have won the game. Dak unquestionably played quite well in that game.

You can’t just generalize the Niners game. He also played well against a strong Jets defense that has embarrassed other top quarterbacks. 

Current Vegas Odds as of Yesterday AM:

Patrick Mahomes II +275 - I don't get this. I understand the logic is that he's played like poop and is on par with others, so he's the most likely to separate himself, but I disagree because his bar for a 3rd MVP will be higher than other QBs. People have Chiefs fatigue and aren't going to want to vote for him unless he is by far and away deserving and considering this is his worst year to date, he will have a bigger mountain to climb than others imo. I feel confident in saying there is no way he wins MVP this year, much less does he deserve to be the favorite.

Jalen Hurts +300 - One of the frontrunners with Stroud, imo. I think he's priced appropriately. He has the Tua problem where he is stacked with talent, but the record and total TDs are strong arguments and I can see them giving it to him if everyone else is the same.

Lamar Jackson +600 - He doesn't have the stats, but he has the eye test and it has carried him, to my surprise. I still attest that the voters will punish him at the end of year for not having the statistical resume that others do, but I think he's priced fairly.

Tua Tagovailoa +600 - Another I think is priced fairly. I know CMC is the only non-QB on this list, but I think Tyreek has a better argument than CMC, frankly, so I do think he will be punished for "not being the best player on his offense" and "being a product of McDaniels", even though those are bs narratives imo.

Josh Allen +1400 - He ain't winning it this year lol. I'm not a wins guy, but I think it's likely they don't make the playoffs tbh.

Joe Burrow +1800 - I'm not sold. This hasn't been his year. Still a great player, but he's playing in a tough division with Browns, Ravens, Steelers x2 and Chiefs defenses still to play. I think he's a touch undervalued here, but not enough to where I want to bet on it. 

C.J. Stroud +2000 - I don't get it. He's the frontrunner, imo and he has a nice schedule set up for him to continue to play well. I legit think they could win 5-7 of their next 8 putting them at 10-12 wins, which would be enough, I think. Between his late game heroics, turning around a franchise, and pure stats - I can see people wanting to vote for this dude.

Christian McCaffrey +3000 - Great player, but not enough Passing TDs this year.

Dak Prescott +3000 - I think he's underpriced. I don't think people will want to vote for him and I don't think he will win. I think he's beaten up on some soft teams, but at the end of the day - I can't deny the stats are starting to be there for Dak. At 30:1, I can't help feeling like this is the wrong price. I certainly see it as more likely than a Josh Allen or CMC at this point.

Brock Purdy +3000 - Seems fair considering he certainly won't win it. He has all the problems of great teammates that other QBs do, but without the stats and he has a pre-built narrative against him. 

-------------------------------------

That said, 7-8 games is enough time to completely build an MVP case so it's certainly possible (likely?) this looks stupid in 2 months.

16 hours ago, scar988 said:

Hot take, I think it should be Tyreek Hill. He completely transformed the Miami offense and is pacing like 2000 yards right now.

I think there was some momentum behind this for awhile there, but the KC game kind of killed it.