The MVP race

Steelersfan43

4 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Dak is definitely in close contention now. Let's see the Cowboys beat the Eagles next week, though. No more of this "almost" stuff. They have to start winning these big games - it matters for narrative reasons.

Let’s not forget that Hurts has the Niners defense to deal with Sunday and it only takes a few bad performances to change the narrative.  

14 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Agreed. The Top 7 are all close. Although I do think Dak/Hurts are very slightly ahead of the others. 

I’m fine with having Dak or Hurts as number one, but there’s no “clear” or obvious or easy choices here. It’s not unanimous. 

Dak has the stats argument argument, but is absolutely hurt by the narrative/H2Hs (as it stands). Losing to both Philly and SF is a ding. Beating one team with a winning record (who now sits at .500 and may not finish above that) is a ding. MVPs that don’t win their division are extremely rare.

Hurts has the narrative argument with the 10-1 record and the come from behind victories, but he’s absolutely hurt by the stats. 12th in yards, T-12th in TDs, T-4th most interceptions. It’s extremely rare for guys not throwing those kind of passing stats to win MVP at QB. 

They both have the strongest arguments but as things stand today, they’ve got blemishes. This isn’t like a lot of other MVP years where guys are launching gaudy stats and they’re the #1 seed.

24 minutes ago, Soko said:

I’m fine with having Dak or Hurts as number one, but there’s no “clear” or obvious or easy choices here. It’s not unanimous. 

Dak has the stats argument argument, but is absolutely hurt by the narrative/H2Hs (as it stands). Losing to both Philly and SF is a ding. Beating one team with a winning record (who now sits at .500 and may not finish above that) is a ding. MVPs that don’t win their division are extremely rare.

Hurts has the narrative argument with the 10-1 record and the come from behind victories, but he’s absolutely hurt by the stats. 12th in yards, T-12th in TDs, T-4th most interceptions. It’s extremely rare for guys not throwing those kind of passing stats to win MVP at QB. 

They both have the strongest arguments but as things stand today, they’ve got blemishes. This isn’t like a lot of other MVP years where guys are launching gaudy stats and they’re the #1 seed.

Dak's case for MVP is that he's been statistically the best QB in the NFL on arguably the best offense in the NFL and his team has a good record.

Hurts' case for MVP is that he plays on the best team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Soggust said:

As of today, I think Dak is the clear MVP.

If the argument is that he will lose it down the stretch, okay, but he's the MVP today.

Right now, I'll go - 

1) Dak

2) Purdy / Hurts / Stroud

5) Mahomes

Purdy isn't even the MVP on his own team.

Dak

Hurts

Mahomes

Are the contenders.  Mahomes likely won't win because of Chiefs fatigue and his numbers being down this year.  If somehow Houston makes the playoffs Stroud will be in the conversation.

27 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Dak's case for MVP is that he's been statistically the best QB in the NFL on arguably the best offense in the NFL and his team has a good record.

Against the worst competition amongst MVP candidates, losses in both head to heads with other MVP candidates, and (for now) isn’t winning the division. 

27 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Hurts' case for MVP is that he plays on the best team.

With multiple game winning drives, as the bet record in the NFL, against better competition. 

You can’t just ignore all that context.

5 minutes ago, Soko said:

Against the worst competition amongst MVP candidates, losses in both head to heads with other MVP candidates, and (for now) isn’t winning the division. 

With multiple game winning drives, as the bet record in the NFL, against better competition. 

You can’t just ignore all that context.

I'm not sure I like a guy playing worse against better competition. I think I'd rather have the guy playing better against worse competition tbh.

Like, Jalen has 8 out of 11 rushing TDs from 1 yard or less.

He also has the best oline in football, elite weapons, a top 5 run game and a good HC, while not having the stats of other contenders. 

All of his arguments revolve around his team winning, whether it be record or H2H. He didn't even necessarily outplay Dak, he just happened to be on the winning team.  

13 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Purdy isn't even the MVP on his own team.

Dak

Hurts

Mahomes

Are the contenders.  Mahomes likely won't win because of Chiefs fatigue and his numbers being down this year.  If somehow Houston makes the playoffs Stroud will be in the conversation.

Purdy can't be MVP because he has McCaffery on his team? 

But Hurts with the league's best o-line, AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, Goedert, top 5 rushing game, and a HC that's like 33 and 12 or something is a legit contender? The guy who has gets most of his rushing touchdowns by falling forward a yard? 

Shouldn't Kelce be the MVP of the Eagles instead of Hurts according to this logic?