Boston Sports Thread

I_GET_SAX

3 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Stanton makes no sense considering you can just sign Martinez for cheaper, not have to give up prospects/young players, etc. Also, it would be a disaster in hindsight considering Miami said anyone could have picked up his contract. 

There will be a lot of teams in on Martinez and his contract will end up being terrible. Not saying I wouldn't want him, but whoever signs him will need him to have 2 huge years in 2018-19 to make up for his likely bad years on the contract. 

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:
11 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Early word is a dislocated ankle and fractured tibia. If he avoided major complications (unlikely from a visual standpoint), it would be a 3 to 6 month recovery. That would put a return of late April if we go with 6 months, but that probably doesnt factor in getting game ready, which would probably take him to at least late May. Wise thing to do, even with a optimistic prognosis, would be to shut him down and have him look to next fall. 

When I saw it, I thought season ending was a given.  Was just hoping for it not to be career ending.

Everything I've read is that the Celtics are cautiously optimistic, that as far as an awful situation goes, it's best case scenario for Gordon.  No ligament or blood vessel damage which is huge.

Seems he is considering his options about surgery. That says to me he is likely thinking about trying to get back late this year or deciding to take the longer safer route. 

7 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

It kills me to say this, but I really think the Yankees are going to win the World Series.

They'd be my pick at the point too but a lot can happen. Their offense is clicking and their pitchers have stepped up. 

It doesn't bother me the way it did prior to 2004. I'm much more concerned about what the Yankees return to excellence means for the Sox' chances over the next few years. World Series win or no, I expect NY to be active and aggressive this offseason and unfortunately it's easy to envision them winning the East for the next 4-5 years.

Dombrowski needs to have a great offseason but the team is lacking in financial flexibility and tradeable players. 

16 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

They'd be my pick at the point too but a lot can happen. Their offense is clicking and their pitchers have stepped up. 

It doesn't bother me the way it did prior to 2004. I'm much more concerned about what the Yankees return to excellence means for the Sox' chances over the next few years. World Series win or no, I expect NY to be active and aggressive this offseason and unfortunately it's easy to envision them winning the East for the next 4-5 years.

Dombrowski needs to have a great offseason but the team is lacking in financial flexibility and tradeable players. 

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a Luke Skywalker on this team.

On 10/18/2017 at 1:04 PM, Troy Brown said:

Just put him down for the year. Baby him until next year's ASB. 76er this thing. He's still only 27. 

Agreed. No need to rush him back.

On the bright side, the Lakers are going to be really bad. Even worse when they move Lopez at the deadline.

11 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Should be an interesting World Series

Agreed. Really happy it's not the Yankees. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and he was pitching like trash for most of the season but looks like a huge missed opportunity for the Sox not trying to swing a trade for Verlander. Obviously would've crowded the rotation for next year but stuff always comes up. You've got Rodriguez out for a while now and who knows what you're getting from Porcello moving forward.

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Sox hire Cora

Not sold on him but can't be worse than Farrell or the rumored other candidates.

I think there's a >50% chance both Cora and Dombrowski are gone by opening day 2020.

I dont think there was a better candidate out there, which isnt necessarily an endorsement of Alex.

Archived