Boston Sports Thread

I_GET_SAX

7 minutes ago, I_GET_SAX said:

I'm no Celtics fan but I'd move IT4 for Kyrie. Get younger with Kyrie. Move a pick too if you need. 

I would choose Kyrie over IT4 right now, despite how much I love Isaiah and how much he lives and breaths Boston basketball, but the Cavs probably won't want him. He wouldn't fit with Lebron and his contract is up after next season. 

It's interesting. I think IT is one of the very small number of players Cleveland could realistically get for Kyrie at this stage who would A) replace what he brings to that team offensively and B) be enough of a name/presence to make it more difficult for LeBron to leave after the season. In the end it won't happen because of the teams involved and the fact that IT probably needs too much of the ball to play with LBJ, but if I'm the Cavs front office that's an angle I'd absolutely explore internally to see if it could work. IT + Crowder + Rosier for Kyrie works cap wise. Fun to think about if nothing else.

41 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

Big series with the red hot Royals starting tomorrow. Hopefully Price can get them off to a good start

Besides his last start vs the Angels, I think Price has had a pretty good season considering many considered he wouldn't pitch more than a game or two before being shelved with the news we got in Spring. I could care less about the off field stuff and do not think Eckersly is this Boston god a lot of media members and fans seem to think. All I care about from Price is his performance on the mound. 

You guys think we are done making moves? I wouldn't mind another BP arm at all but then again im not sure Dombrowski knows how to make a successful trade for a reliever. Carson Smith and Tyler Thornberg have been zero help considering what we gave up.

Of course after I write that about Price rumors swirl about elbow issues that sound a lot like the pain that caused him to miss so much time at the start of the season. Reported today that he may miss today's start. 

26 minutes ago, I_GET_SAX said:

Of course after I write that about Price rumors swirl about elbow issues that sound a lot like the pain that caused him to miss so much time at the start of the season. Reported today that he may miss today's start. 

DL Stint incoming

This is the least likable Red Sox team in a while, for me at least. Something about this team just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not expecting them to make a big move today. I do think they need to add another BP arm and I'm nervous that DD will get in a bidding war for Addison Reed. I wouldn't give up anymore than Chavis  + a lower rated prospect.

Offensively, this team is very National League-esque. Mookie looks like he's pressing. Moreland has struggled. Xander is clearly hurt and slumping. Very little power in their lineup. Next year they have to add a bat and really the only place where I see them doing so is at 1B. Maybe they pay Moustakas. At least we can be excited about Devers. He looks poised at the plate and his swing is tailored for Fenway Park.

It's too bad about the offense because for the most part, the SP has been great. Dombrowski took a lot of heat for the Pomeranz deal, but he's pitched great this season. Espinoza has been shut down for the season and is having TJ. Essentially two years of development lost. Hoping for a speedy recovery for him, but just goes to show you shouldn't be scared to trade highly regarded prospects for proven MLB talent.

Ive felt similarly, especially with Gomes in the box talking about 2013, which might be my favorite Red Sox team. It seems like there is a lot of barking about virtually nothing, and not just from the team but Boston media. Like the team is doing well enough to not complain, but not so well to sing their praises, and also not in a way that is easy to sensationalize forcing them to write stories about almost nothing. I just don't see this as a deep playoff run type of year. They need at least ONE bat that is going to hit over 25 HR's consistently. Unfortunately, that got is not going to be in FA this off-season and its a bat they would have to trade for. 

Archived