Boston Sports Thread

I_GET_SAX

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Benny deserves it big time. He is flirting with .300 hitting after one of the worst opening months in the lineup. 

I voted for him but you could make a strong case for any of the guys he's up against.

Mookie Betts' OPS has been 1.100 or higher every day since April 17.

I know we all believe he'll fall off this pace. I do, too. But... what if he doesn't?

The last AL hitter to finish a season with an OPS north of 1.100 was Jim Thome back in 2002. 

Rickey Henderson is widely considered to have had the best single season ever by a leadoff hitter in his MVP year in 1990. 

Henderson's numbers that year: 

.325/.439/.577 

28 HR, 69 RBI, 159 Hits, 119 Runs

Betts' current pace:

.342/.432/.673

39 HR, 78 RBI, 167 Hits, 126 Runs

Henderson's wRC+ in 1990 was 190

Betts currently sits at 196

3 hours ago, Starless said:

Pedroia doubtful he'll return this year. :(

I wonder what the Sox would have to give up to get Whit Merrifield from KC?

I know he is wildly competitive, but Pedy should just hang them up and become a coach. I mean, at this point he has been in and out of the line up with no regular playing time for over 2 years.  

31 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I know he is wildly competitive, but Pedy should just hang them up and become a coach. I mean, at this point he has been in and out of the line up with no regular playing time for over 2 years.  

It's really sad that he won't get a chance to go out like Ortiz did. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

It's really sad that he won't get a chance to go out like Ortiz did. 

Ortiz knew when to call it quits though. If he wanted to, he couldve played more years for sure. He had a great run and hung it up before he really showed the decline. With Pedroia, he is younger yes, but he is also smaller and played hard, physical, defense his entire career. His body was bound to break down quickly. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Ortiz knew when to call it quits though. If he wanted to, he couldve played more years for sure. He had a great run and hung it up before he really showed the decline. With Pedroia, he is younger yes, but he is also smaller and played hard, physical, defense his entire career. His body was bound to break down quickly. 

The Sox need to figure out what their future is at the position now, I guess. Holt and Nunez have been fine but neither is an everyday player. They don't really have anyone in the farm system who's anywhere close to ready to step in. 

Like I said, I'd really like them to make a run at Merrifield but even that guy will be 30 next year. 

On 7/13/2018 at 5:54 PM, dhunt2402 said:

Mookie MVP?

He has to be the favorite at the moment. He leads the league in BA, SLG, and OPS. While his totals are competing with top spots (IE 23 HR to league leading 28), everyone ahead of him in HR, RBI, Runs, TB ect has played about 20 more games than he has due to his injury (76 compared to Trout's 95). Oh and he's playing for the team with the best record in baseball at the moment (by 3.5 games).

• 3 weeks later...

Red Sox spirtual leaders this season IMO: Mitch Moreland, Chris Sale, Mookie Betts, Alex Cora, Rick Porcello. I commend Henry the owner and Dave Dombrowski for putting this team together. What a fun game tonight against the Yankees at Fenway culminating in an 85 pitch complete game standing ovation. Go Sox!

Archived