Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

Lately I’ve been hearing a lot of negatives from UCLA about Rosen’s character so much so it might eclipse Mayfields negatives. I can deal with a lot obviously I’m a browns fan. But if. Guy doesn’t love football. He won’t be great. Mayfield wants to be great and from what Ive heard guys would run through a wall for him. Is there N argument for mayfield over Rosen and Darnold at number one. 

36 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We are such a dumpster fire I guarantee it happens. Our fanbase was obsessed with Manziel (even though I knew he’d be awful on and off the field). Our fans are not smart and go with emotions over anything else. 

Well Kizer seems like a good dude and he makes Johnny Manziel look like Johnny Unitas by comparison on the field. At least Manziel was fairly accurate, we haven't had a QB that gave us real hope since he was on the roster. If Mayfield isn't a problem off of the field and to my knowledge he isn't, I'd gladly take a Manziel-like skilled QB on the field. He certainly showed that he had a chance to be really good even though he hadn't reached that when he self destructed.

Stand down, Doug Flutie. Take a break, George Reed. Just give it up, Jackie Parker. A new king of the CFL could be coming.

Maybe.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats coach June Jones, who has signed a three-year deal after completing his stint as the interim coach, believes that quarterback Johnny Manziel could end up being historically great in Canada.

“I think he’d be the best player to ever play up here,” Jones said, via CFL.ca. “He can throw it and he can run it like nobody ever has been able to do.”

The Tiger-Cats flirted with signing Manziel during the season, but they never did. They apparently intend to try to do so for 2018.

“I think he’s a phenomenal player,” Jones said. “I think it was kind of unfortunate what happened to him in the NFL, some of that was by his own means, too.”

Maybe he will clean up his act and get another shot in the NFL.

50 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We are such a dumpster fire I guarantee it happens. Our fanbase was obsessed with Manziel (even though I knew he’d be awful on and off the field). Our fans are not smart and go with emotions over anything else. 

Were they? I don't remember that being the case but that was also several years ago. IIRC, this forum was pretty split when we drafted him. Personally, I was so-so on Manziel. I still think he could have been a decent QB in this league if he wasn't such an idiot off the field. But what does Manziel have to do with Mayfield? Just the off the field antics?

If Darnold returns to USC, then who knows? It's entirely possible that Mayfield would be in consideration. But if Darnold does declare for the draft, then I think it's extremely unlikely that we pass on him.

To be fair Baker Mayfield wasn't talented enough for a scholarship to Texas tech and had to walk on, he also had to walk on to Oklahoma.

He is also going to turn that into a Heisman trophy and maybe a championship. That doesn't make sense. So why is he defying the odds? I wanna know because he has proven himself time and time again even though he doesn't pass the eye test until he puts the uniform on. I'm not sure how much that should matter.

There is most definitely a case. Size is the only thing holding this guy back...attitude? He's no Johnny Football, it's all on the field, and it is such a fierce, competitive mentality.

I used to knock him, even after he beat OSU I talked down about him. But the sheer consistency on his part left me no choice except to be impressed.

His accuracy is unparalleled. Rosen, Darnold, they make big-time plays. They just do not do so to the same degree that Mayfield has. There's a reason Mayfield has his team in the college playoffs and the other two do not...Mind you, after losing two high-caliber RB's and his top receiver while STILL taking his game to another level.

Damn right He played in the Big 12. That doesn't make his passes more accurate. It doesn't make his decisions any more intelligent. The kid straight made plays in any situation he's been thrown.

I don't think he'll go #1, but there's gotta be a case. If I'm the Browns and there's someone I highly value as the best player in this draft that isn't a QB, I'm taking that guy...and I'm holding out hope that Baker somehow falls to the HOU pick.

Archived