NBA Expansion Team - Seattle Sonics: A JBURGE Production

JBURGE

The Suns pick stays put at 8, so that is now my pick. 

The Clippers stay at 5, the Monsters drop to 4, the Mavs drop to 3.... 

The Pacers draw at 2 and I won the lottery!!!!!! 

This is the second year in a row the Pacers have jumped. Lucky

Hiring Update

I have promoted my Assistant Coach to head coach. He had developed to A offense and was the top HC on the market, so I felt I should lock him up. Vince Carter was hired as the new assistant. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

You gonna leave Gentry at SF or move him to small ball PF?  Since he's an inside scorer might be better to play him at the 4.  Plus his 82 speed isn't elite for a wing, but would eat up opposing PFs.  

Honestly hadn't thought about it. Gentry got hurt a ton his rookie year, small things. But it added up and he missed about a third of the year. Not sure I want to put him inside if he keeps that up. Plus he would be an absolute liability on defense at the 4

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Honestly hadn't thought about it. Gentry got hurt a ton his rookie year, small things. But it added up and he missed about a third of the year. Not sure I want to put him inside if he keeps that up. Plus he would be an absolute liability on defense at the 4

Modern NBA the 4 is pretty much a wing defender.  Just get a sick Center to protect the rim you'll be fine.

Next draft class looks sick.

2019 Draft

Sonics Picks

Top 10 Prospects
  Pos. Name Age Ht Wt WS School Ovr Pot.
1 PG Michael Peterson 19 6'5 211 6'7 Penn State 84 A+
2 PG Joshua Shmidt 22 5'11 183 6'1 Michigan State 74 A+
3 SG Bernard Holmes 19 6'2 196 6'7 Texas Tech 72 A
4 SF Rickey Farley 22 6'8 232 6'8 Notre Dame 75 B+
5 SF Gus Sharp 22 6'9 220 6'3 Ohio State 73 A+
6 PG Charles Dailey 23 6'2 175 7'11 Florida 70 A-
7 C Shawn Willis 20 7'2 297 6'7 Boston College 74 A+
8 SF CJ Fields 24 6'7 231 7'3 Kentucky 71 B+
9 PF Brandon Flanders 19 6'11 254 7'3 Fresno State 70 A
10 PF Damien Wilks 21 6'8 248 6'3 Missouri 72 B+
12 SF Alen Simunic (1) 22 6'8 222 7'4 Lithuania 71 A+

I'm not going to pretend like this is a hard decision. The 7'2 center, Shawn Willis, will be a future star. He's only 20, 7'11 wing span, but he is raw. 74 overall with no specialization in anything. The #1 pick is clear this year.

2J5xhD1m.jpg

PG Michael Peterson, Penn State

6'5, starts at 83 overall, can score inside and the perimeter. Averaged 11 assists in college. He has all the intangibles you want for a big point. He doesn't have elite athleticism, but he is going to be a superstar and the cornerstone of my franchise.

The Clippers just traded Blake Griffin and Pat Beverly to move up to 2 to take that small point guard Schmidt. 

Wait, what? The Clippers just traded up AGAIN. They moved from #5 to #3 by only giving up Teodosic? What? AND THEY DIDN'T TAKE THE CENTER. They drafted Bernard Holmes, the 19 year old shooting guard. Are these people seriously going to let Montreal get this freaking center at 4...

Yes, they are. God damn it. Montreal got Shawn Willis. Well, I guess this is what I asked for, giving myself a rival. I will be following Willis's career closely. 

Dailey goes at 6, Flanders at 7 who I would have taken. Damn. 

Available at 8 are:

5 SF Gus Sharp 22 6'9 220 6'3 Ohio State 73 A+

Gus is the highest rated prospect left, and has A+ dev. 80 speed, 96 driving layup, shorter arms than height and that's reflected with excellent long range shooting. I'm not sure what I would do with him yet, but he is a great prospect and a steal at 8.

8 SF CJ Fields 24 6'7 231 7'3 Kentucky 71 B+

Similar but worse in almost every important category compared to Sharp.

10 PF Damien Wilks 21 6'8 248 6'3 Missouri 72 B+

Wilks is interesting. He isn't the faceup 4 I like, but he comes in right away with strong interior offense and pretty decent defense/rebounding, something I am lacking. That's about where it ends, though. He is slow, and doesn't look very proficient in the mid-post game. 

12 SF Alen Simunic (1) 22 6'8 222 7'4 Lithuania 71 A+

Alec is now 23, and still has a year overseas. Despite the potential, I have to pass with the other options

There is one more prospect, C Quincy Carroll (the guy from 2k17 I had forever at center was named Dell Carroll), and I really like him. 7'2 with a 7'6 wing span, offers essentially nothing on offense, but he has A potential and very good rebounding. Inside D would increase pretty quickly as well.

With all things considered, I won 17 games last year. I am going to take the player I think will end up being the best overall player regardless of need, and so I draft...

cnBNTVum.jpg

SF Gus Sharp, Ohio State

This draft class was one of my favourites I've had in the short time I've done this. Having the #1 pick helps, but I love having a big point running my offense. 

Just to point out, the Clippers ALSO drafted Alen Simunic at 9. So they drafted a PG at 2, SG at 3, and a SF at 9. 2 of them A+ and one A. They are a team to watch in a couple years. 

Peterson has 19 freaking badges. Wow. His potential is 99, not sure I have seen that yet. 

Also, Artem Gornev, the PG I had overseas last year, developed from 68 to 77 in ONE year. okay...

Terry Rozier is going to have to be moved. He is now my 3rd best PG getting paid the most money.

Trade
Seattle Sonics Receive   New York Knicks Receive
  2022 1st rd (t3 prot)       2022 2nd rd  
C Joakim Noah 74   PG Terry Rozier 78

I'll eat Noah's salary for one year. I have the cap space. 

Team Options

PF Juan Hernangomez, 75 - Accept the $3.32m option
C Tony Bradley, 73 - Accept the $1.96m option
C Harry Giles, 72 - Accept the $2,58m option

3 players all 23 years old and under. I am weak at the 4 and 5 spots, so I will keep them for depth and look for someone in FA. 

I will not be offering any qualifying offers.

Joakim Noah has been released. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

The more I look at them, the more I think Sharp should move down to SG and Gentry stay put

I usually try to hide my worst defender at the 2.  A guy that can space the floor by shooting 3s.  You're really going to want someone who's an elite wing defender at the 3, there's a lot of amazing SFs in the league.  

Archived