NBA Expansion Team - Seattle Sonics: A JBURGE Production

JBURGE

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I usually try to hide my worst defender at the 2.  A guy that can space the floor by shooting 3s.  You're really going to want someone who's an elite wing defender at the 3, there's a lot of amazing SFs in the league.  

It's my favourite position to play with. I think Sharp will be the guy next year, but he will have to play the 2 this year. I don't know what to do with Gentry. Gentry is a slasher with no 3, and Sharp is going to be a straight up scorer. Sharp has 90 3s and good inside as well

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

It's my favourite position to play with. I think Sharp will be the guy next year, but he will have to play the 2 this year. I don't know what to do with Gentry. Gentry is a slasher with no 3, and Sharp is going to be a straight up scorer. Sharp has 90 3s and good inside as well

Well sounds like Pederson will be running your offense.  Is Gentry a good defender?  If not, maybe flip him for that crazy long Center you missed out on.    

Free Agency

I enter this year with no big men of the future. I have 3/4 years before I need to sign the guys I've drafted, so if there's one in FA, I might go after them. I can see this team, as it stands, finishing middle of the pack and just missing the playoffs. 

PG Trey Burke, 73 - 1yr/$1.64m
SG JR Smith, 76 - 1yr/min

Trade
Seattle Sonics Receive   Timberwolves Receive
  2022 1st rd (t3 prot)     PF Nikola Mirotic 78

Trade finder trade. Frees me up to start someone who can play defense, and let my young guys do the scoring. 

PF Markieff Morris, 77 - $2yr/$6.9m - Need someone to start at the 4, Hernangomez hasn't developed and Morris fits the style I like. Temporary vet until I find what I want. 

The only FA that actually signed somewhere other than where they were was Paul Millsap. He is now in Denver. Him and Jokic will be a nice combo.

Scratch that, Khris Middleton went to the Clippers!! The Clips are setting up quite the team right now with him and their 3 top 10 picks

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well sounds like Pederson will be running your offense.  Is Gentry a good defender?  If not, maybe flip him for that crazy long Center you missed out on.    

I don't want to have a 3rd guy from the top 10. Plus I like that he can be my arch nemesis on Montreal

Year 3

Lineup
Position Player Ovr Mins
PG Michael Peterson 83 34
SG Cedi Osman 76 24
SF Gus Sharp 75 32
PF Brett Gentry 79 34
C Ivica Zubac 77 28

6 PG Artem Gornev 77 28
7 PF Markieff Morris 77 20
8 SF Norman Powell 75 16
9 SG JR Smith 74 14
10 PF Jerami Grant 77 12
11 SG Kyle Korver 71 0
12 PG Juan Hernangomez 75 0
13 C Tony Bradley 72 0
Res C Harry Giles 70 0
Res PG Trey Burke 72 0

This still isn't a great team. I would imagine I will be picking in the top 10 again. Hopefully this draft is chalk full of big men. I have a ton of 2022 picks, so I will probably try to get a higher pick in this draft so I can grab a guy I like. 

Contract Extension 

C Ivica Zubac, 77 - 1yr/$6.21m

I looked for a trad for a while to slot someone in at SG that I like. I found one of the guys from the first draft, available in a trade using one of the picks I had acquired in 2022.

Trade
Seattle Sonics Receive   Cavaliers Receive
PG Derrick Rose 78   PG Trey Burke 83
SG Dedric Bailey 77   SG Cedi Osman 76
          2022 unprotected 1st (CLE)  

So this is a weird one. I signed Burke and he was a 73? For some reason, maybe it was an injury, he is now an 83. Okay. Well I chose him and the pick and through trade finder Cleveland offered me this. Dedric Bailey was the 5th pick in the 2018 draft. He struggles a bit to shoot 3s, for a shooting guard thats annoying, but he has 99 speed, he's 21, and has A- potential. I can work with that. I eat a bit of Rose's contract.

And here are the minutes after the trade.

Lineup
Position Player Ovr Mins
PG Michael Peterson 83 34
SG Dedric Bailey 78 30
SF Gus Sharp 75 32
PF Brett Gentry 79 34
C Ivica Zubac 77 24

6 PG Artem Gornev 77 26
7 PF Markieff Morris 77 20
8 SF Norman Powell 75 16
9 SG JR Smith 74 14
10 PF Jerami Grant 77 12
11 SG Kyle Korver 71 0
12 PG Juan Hernangomez 75 0
13 C Tony Bradley 72 0
Res C Harry Giles 70 0
Res PG Derrick Rose 78 0

Just now, drd23 said:

Are you ever going to get back to that Bulls franchise? :P

I am.  I just had to take a break.  Remember I ran like 8 crap seasons in that thread franchise I threw away before I figured out I screwed up the sliders.  Now I'm like 6 seasons deep on the Bulls one.  So I'm like 14 seasons in.  Had to take a break.  

I actually played a game today in the next series vs. the Celtics.  Should have some write-ups coming in the next few days.  

JBurge25's thread here might get me fired back up.  

Archived