2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

This is what is big for me. Hes still learning and I feel like once he gets the football savvy down, he will be a pain to every OT.

And I think the age stuff is completely overblown. Hes 23, not 26. Most of the guys drafted barely make it 4 years much less talking about ten years down the line. 

If we would get 8 great years out of a pick, why would it matter if they are 29 in their last year or 32? 

I am not thinking it for contract reasons.

Reason I think it is a big deal is you gain a lot of strength between 20 and 23. 

It is a large advantage to be 22 or 23 and playing against some 19 year olds.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

It is a large advantage to be 22 or 23 and playing against some 19 year olds.

I mean thats just a gross generalization

Sure in college football you tend to see guys gain major strength from when then enter at 18 to when they are mostly seeing the field at 20+, but most of that is due to guys actually getting real weight training at college. Thats the constant across all college players, and the real correlation to gained strength, not purely age because everyone's body develops at different rates.

Most guys dont get their peak strength till they are in their mid to later 20s, thats when you realize your true functional strength.

Sure, all things being equal, Ill take the younger prospect. But things are nearly never equal, not to mention being a bit older also should allow you to hit the ground running better, and make your rookie and sophomore seasons more valuable on that rookie deal. 

42 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean thats just a gross generalization

Sure in college football you tend to see guys gain major strength from when then enter at 18 to when they are mostly seeing the field at 20+, but most of that is due to guys actually getting real weight training at college. Thats the constant across all college players, and the real correlation to gained strength, not purely age because everyone's body develops at different rates.

Most guys dont get their peak strength till they are in their mid to later 20s, thats when you realize your true functional strength.

Sure, all things being equal, Ill take the younger prospect. But things are nearly never equal, not to mention being a bit older also should allow you to hit the ground running better, and make your rookie and sophomore seasons more valuable on that rookie deal. 

What I said is not controversial.   It is fact.  23>19 for men - Bigger, stronger, faster. 

That's it.  That was my point.  So judging a 23 year old college player is more difficult to project to next level.  

Men are bigger, stronger, faster than women too.

This is all generally speaking.  Exceptions to anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What I said is not controversial.   It is fact.  23>19 for men - Bigger, stronger, faster. 

That's it.  That was my point.  So judging a 23 year old college player is more difficult to project to next level.  

Men are bigger, stronger, faster than women too.

This is all generally speaking.  Exceptions to anything.

I mean a 19 year old elite athlete is probably going to be stronger than a 23 year old soon to be gym teacher...

It is certainly not a fact that most 23 year olds are bigger, stronger & faster than most 19 year olds...genetics just flat out don't work like that...

Blake Corum is not bigger, stronger or faster than Braelon Allen for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I mean a 19 year old elite athlete is probably going to be stronger than a 23 year old soon to be gym teacher...

It is certainly not a fact that most 23 year olds are bigger, stronger & faster than most 19 year olds...genetics just flat out don't work like that...

Blake Corum is not bigger, stronger or faster than Braelon Allen for example.

Are men more athletic when they are 19 or 23? 

Generally speaking. Assuming they work out at both ages? 

Do I really have to explain this?  This is a silly conversation. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Are men more athletic when they are 19 or 23? 

Generally speaking. Assuming they work out at both ages? 

Do I really have to explain this?  This is a silly conversation. 

What if the 23 year old discovered Coors at 21 and did nothing else since, huh DLL? 

14 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

They're going to feel silly when they get "312" tattoos and the Bears draft McCarthy and McConkey. Luckily the 3 could be an 8, the 1 could be a 4,7,9, and the 2 is probably a 2 which is limiting but they'll be OK. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Woulda been nice for Tom to sit on this one until Friday morning… 

TBF, it's vague.  Were all 4 working out together?  Or were Caleb and Rome working out AND Caleb and Bears WRs were working out separately?   But I agree.  STFU Tom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Hopefully the trade down plan (if later team is even available) counts on either a) no one you grade high enoug his there at nine or b)enough of them are that your move back still nets you one of those players and you don't care who it is. 

No matter what, I guarantee I'm groaning when Alt and then Odunze come off the board no matter what. 

It could happen and if it does Poles will already have Plan B in the works.  IMHO if we follow those next five picks after ours we should have a pretty good handle on what the board should look like at #9.  ATL may still be a wild card for a trade down though.

17 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It will be a genuine shock if 4 QBs don’t go before our pick. But, if a QB is somehow available at 9 I would be floored if we didn’t trade out with someone who wants them. Rodgers will be 41 in December - if the Jets have a chance to grab whichever QB makes it down that far in that unlikely scenario I have to think they’re taking it.

If it was the Jets knocking on the door a swap with them would be safe since they're right behind us at #10.  If Poles is getting calls from others though that may be a very pricey one pick swap.

But I will also be shocked if all four of the top QBs aren't taken.  One piece of news says the Pats may trade down yet Kraft comes out in favor of taking a QB.  AZ either trades the pick to Minny or takes a WR which means Minny just calls SD and NYG.

ATL may be a wild card though if someone wants to get in front of Poles for the remaining WR.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Interesting stats regarding hit/miss rates for 1st round picks between 2000/19. This was based on whether a 2nd contract was signed with the drafting team.

I would like to see the actual players involved in this stat, seems like its a bit of an oversight to call players who decide to test free agency as misses   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, soulman said:

ATL may be a wild card though if someone wants to get in front of Poles for the remaining WR.

If ATL is targeting a defensive player they can almost certainly slide back a few spots and still get their guy.
Especially if MIN ends up trading up with LAC, our best chance to trade down is probably for a team that wants to get ahead of NYJ and then LAC at 10 and 11 to get their OL of choice, though I could see someone wanting to jump NYJ if they think they’re going to take Bowers too.

Gonna be a lot of intrigue in the area around our 2nd pick tomorrow night. The only intrigue around our 1st pick will be whether CW holds up the generic 1st round draft pick jersey on stage or one with his chosen number. 

24 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I would like to see the actual players involved in this stat, seems like its a bit of an oversight to call players who decide to test free agency as misses   

Me too, though most teams make a pretty concerted effort to keep their own 1st rounders who hit.