2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

8 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

I have, just as many other posters have. You don't like the answers and that's fine. But repeating the same answers to what appears to be a brick benefits no one. 

No you haven't, I asked you specifically:  

Are you willing to give up on JF AND also trade  him away for a return that is below/well-below his actual value JUST BC YOU DRAFTED a QB early ?? 

Are you saying that we are not in positions of strength ?  

you don't like moving down for Jayden Daniels ? 

JF WON't miss games ?

keeping JF longer does NOT show faith in him ??

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Fields hasn't played well enough to get snaps over an incoming Rookie ?

Michael Lombardi, Ryan Poles didn't rule it out but robert schmitz K rules it out bc fields 'isn't good enough to get reps over a rookie'

Well there you go, smoking gun 

Edited by SLCbear

48 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

No you haven't, I asked you specifically:  

Are you willing to give up on JF AND also trade  him away for a return that is below/well-below his actual value JUST BC YOU DRAFTED a QB early ?? 

Value is established by the market and not the seller. If you're drafting a QB it is what it is. That being said Poles is not stupid enough not to negotiate on a trade.

Are you saying that we are not in positions of strength ?  

Not the position of strength that you say. Culture matters and reputation amongst players matter. If you strongarm players into staying in a situation that is very much less than ideal to them players from other teams take notice of that which in turn makes it less likely to sign quality free agents. It also causes discord in the locker room. Coaches and GMs get fired for this.

you don't like moving down for Jayden Daniels ? 

I like Daniels. I just don't like keeping JF with him. That being said, if you are going to take a QB then you take whichever one you think is the best at Pick 1.

JF WON't miss games ?

Probably. But you don't draft a QB in the 1st round to be a backup. That's what journeymen are for.

keeping JF longer does NOT show faith in him ??

No, it shows incompetence by wasting a 1st round pick on a player that is not playing regularly. It is a waste of a valuable resource.

Edited by Bigbear72
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Thank-you

If we do not get an appropriate return for JF in current market, we are in a position of strength to wait it out, and even give JF more time to progress.  I think where we differ most here is that I don't really want to be forced to play a Rookie. Easing him in while JF looks to build on success/momentum from last season seems safer to me. We need to get it right !

Yes, strongarming players is not a good look, I was talking more about being in position(s) of strength for everything we need to do this offseason, (draft, cap, culture etc) Poles better not F it up 

Going ALL IN on a rookie scares me to death, but I can get on board with taking 'our guy' at 1.1 and trading JF, provided there is an appropriate return for JF. there are rumors of 2 2nds and a day 3 pick, I would take that ALL DAY

You're not drafting anyone to be a backup, you're drafting him to get the qb position right. If he happens to sit for a little while bc of our very-unique situation so beit

Adding  a high-end QB talent bc you are unsure of your current high-end  qB  (will JF ever be able to play well enough in crunchtime or process quickly enough for us to contend every year ?) is hardly a wasted pick, esp when the current QB has short shelf-life 

These are my thoughts and fears. I just want to FINALLY get it right !  We are in a position of strength for EvERYTHING ! We can afford to move at our OWN pace.  I don't want my Bears to blow it 💔

You get the last word.

All the best 👍🏻

Edited by SLCbear

3 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Ya, but if we don't get an appropriate return for JF in current market, we are in a position of strength to wait it out, and even give JF more time to progress.  I think where we differ most here is that I don't really want to be forced to play a Rookie. Easing him in while JF looks to build on success/momentum from last season seems safer to me. I just want TO GET IT RIGHT 

Yes, strongarming in not a good look, I was talking more about being in position(s) of strength for everything we need to do this offseason, (draft, cap, culture etc) Poles better not F it up 

Going ALL IN on a rookie scares me to death, but I can get on board with taking 'our guy' at 1.1 and trading JF, provided there is an appropriate return for JF. there are rumors of 2 2nds and a day 3 pick, I would take that ALL DAY

You're not drafting anyone to be a backup, you're drafting him to get the qb position right. If he happens to sot for a little while bc of our very-unique situation so beit

Adding  a high-end QB talent bc you are unsure of your current high-end talent qB situation (will JF ever be able to play well enough in crunchtime or process quickly enough for us to contend every year ?) is hardly a wasted pick, esp when the current QB has short shelf-life 

These are my thoughts and fears. I just want to FINALLY GET IT RIGHT. We are in a position of strength for EvERYTHING ! We can afford to take a slow methodical approach.  I don't want my Bears to blow it. 

You can have the last word.

All the best 👍🏻

Don't get me wrong. It is a tough decision that has to be made. As a life long Bears fan I share your anxiety about it as well. Believe it or not, I appreciate your passion in these debates. That being said, the culture and nature of the business is not really conducive to the approach that you outline above. There are many more factors to consider than "do the Bears have the power to do this." There would be many other ramifications to deal with if this situation were handled the way you suggest. But, just like me, you are entitled to your opinion and we will see how it plays out in the end.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Man what garbage Facebook groups are you part of that you see these absurd takes? And then you come in here pretending that these are the norm from all Bears Fans? And argue them against us on this Forum who have never said anything like this…

Kenneth Davis of the Under Center Podcast is a Facebook group now? I mean I guess he could be hyping up MHJ because he's a Fields guy, but.. 

I don't even disagree with his statements either. MHJ IS that highly rated as a prospect to be in the same breath as Calvin Johnson and Jmarr Chase, and you flat out EXPECT a WR taken that highly to be a top guy in the league. The guy has great size, hands, gets open consistently, can catch contested passes, and has been clocked faster on the field than Tyreek Hill (albeit Hill also has elite change of direction and acceleration). Probably the single safest player in the entire draft class, and consensus first non qb of the board. 

So outside first pick/QB question....

Where is everyone at with #9 overall?

It obviously depends on who makes it there (and combine stuff that could make people rise/fall), but one of Odunze-WR, Dallas Turner-Edge, and Bowers-TE should be there, with one of Fashanu or Alt for LT having a slim chance of making there as well.

I'm personally kind of leaning Turner at Edge right now, despite wanting to dedicate the draft towards building around the QB. I feel like you can find good WR in this class in the 2nd, but good pass rushers are harder to find.  I'd also considered trading down, but I don't like this classes' depth as much.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

It obviously depends on who makes it there (and combine stuff that could make people rise/fall), but one of Odunze-WR, Dallas Turner-Edge, and Bowers-TE should be there, with one of Fashanu or Alt for LT having a slim chance of making there as well.

I'm personally kind of leaning Turner at Edge right now, despite wanting to dedicate the draft towards building around the QB. I feel like you can find good WR in this class in the 2nd, but good pass rushers are harder to find.  I'd also considered trading down, but I don't like this classes' depth as much.

Honestly I’m pretty open with what we do at 9, but my strong preference is that it be an offensive player. Even if the first 8 picks are all offensive players (not far fetched this year) we would still be able to get either Bowers, a top 3 WR or one of the OTs assuming all 3 of Williams/Maye/Daniels are top 8 picks as most expect. All of them would be huge gets for the future of our offense and a massive get for (presumably) Williams’ development. A potential cornerstone LT, a potential future #1 WR or one of the highest graded TE prospects ever? Yes please. 

If it’s not offense then give me either Turner or Verse there (I prefer Verse personally, but both would be great adds) or a trade down. I’m expecting us to hit edge rusher in FA though, and the other potential top 10 defenders IMO are CBs and we don’t need any of those. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

I like the idea of trading down from 9. There is likely a QB that is going to be available and have interest. Williams and Maye or gone for sure, but maybe Daniels falls or one of the other guys rocks the combine and someone thinks they're a future stud QB. Only takes one GM to get too emotional.

In groups:

At 9: Nabers, Odunze, Bowers, Fashanu, Alt

If there is a trade back to 15-25 range then: Verse, Latu, Turner, Trice, Latham, Mims, Williams (GA OT), DeJean.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2024 at 6:32 PM, dll2000 said:

OT, but that’s crazy, i went to high school with Dave kluge.  Big pot head, chill guy, funny, wasn’t exactly a high achiever in school.  Good for him thats he’s making something of himself.

• Like 3

Not a huge sample (just 55 votes) in general but:

60% said we should take a QB at number 1 overall.

Another 14% said we should take a QB in first.

25% said we should keep Fields and trade number 1.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

And to be fair with the last sentence, "When his season at USC pretty much was a disaster." 

I think it was way more fair to point out that it wasn't a disaster due to his performance, its due to a really underwhelming team (118th ranked scoring defense in the nation) and off-field concerns (the f**k Utah on his nails, crying, "cuddle with my dogs" comment, etc). Guy still had a hell of a year individually. Averaged over 300 yards passing, 30/5 TD to INT ratio, still put up 41ppg, etc. 

Takes a crap job for the team/coaching to put that up and still have the team go 7-5 with you.

• Like 1