Zach in the New York Groove

adamq

How are we feeling about Zach Wilson? The Jets are now 3-3 and will face the other underwhelming New York team coming out of the bye. Zach has just 1100 yards, 60% comp%, 4 TDs and 5 INTs..

Still, has he shown improvement from his dreadful rookie season?

Will the Jets keep him around for when Rodgers retires or gets hurt again next season?

Do they cut their losses and trade stuff for some dude, maybe Josh Dobbs?

Did you know Nate Hackett is a dancing enthusiast who taught a hip-hop dance class in college?

lpzffh4tfo62jesqg9ru

• Like 1

He's still not very good, but he's no longer the game-losing anti-talent of last year. Aside from the season opener where he was clearly a little shell-shocked coming off the bench, he's been a QB that won't actively tank the roster. Maybe A-Rod has been mentoring him?

Nick Shook on NFL.com's QB index has him above Jordan Love, for what it's worth.

Edited by notthatbluestuff
  • Like 1

He's been better this season, which isn't saying much -- most notably, he's making the easy throws. 

Last 3 weeks things have started to "click" ... again, not saying much, but he's done his job:

Since week 4 (KC, DEN, PHI): → Last season 

• YPG: 210 (25th) → 182 (29th)
  • CMP%: 67% (12th) → 60% (29th)
  • INT%: 1.52% (3rd) → 2.7% (24th)
  • QBR: 49.7 (19th)
  • RTG: 87 (17th) → 73 (31st)
  • TD/INT: 2/1  

The first 3-weeks were a disaster, since then he's looked competent -- completing easy (<5yd) throws, not making terrible decisions, etc. Still struggling to read defenses and find the open man, but he's looked much improved, and more confident than he has in the past. We'll see what he does moving forward, but I think the Jets internally still really like Zach.

Edited by NJC33
  • Like 2

He’s improved a little. Still backup caliber.

Rodgers is set to play in 2024, meaning if NY wants to keep Zach Wilson into 2025 and beyond, they’d likely have to pickup his 5th year option (which would be hilarious). Doubt they do that, although it’s possible they give him a Jordan Love kind of deal (which would also be hilarious) where he gets a little more money but it’s short term. 

Hackett sucks too, but that’s another issue. Guessing he sticks around for one year post-Rodgers.

8 minutes ago, Soko said:

He’s improved a little. Still backup caliber.

Rodgers is set to play in 2024, meaning if NY wants to keep Zach Wilson into 2025 and beyond, they’d likely have to pickup his 5th year option (which would be hilarious). Doubt they do that, although it’s possible they give him a Jordan Love kind of deal (which would also be hilarious) where he gets a little more money but it’s short term. 

Hackett sucks too, but that’s another issue. Guessing he sticks around for one year post-Rodgers.

Not necessarily. No one is paying Zach the equivalent of his 5th-year option (barring some huge leap). The more likely scenario is both sides agreeing to a "reasonable" short-term deal for Zach to be Rodgers backup.

From what I've read, he's sold on the long-term benefit of developing under Rodgers as his eventual successor, even if that means sitting out a few seasons. The person I'm paraphrasing here (another fan with insights into the Jets), alluded to Zach's relationship with Steve Young and how that has influenced his perspective given Young's career path behind Joe Montana.

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Not necessarily. No one is paying Zach the equivalent of his 5th-year option (barring some huge leap). The more likely scenario is both sides agreeing to a "reasonable" short-term deal for Zach to be Rodgers backup.

From what I've read, he's sold on the long-term benefit of developing under Rodgers as his eventual successor, even if that means sitting out a few seasons. The person I'm paraphrasing here (another fan with insights into the Jets), alluded to Zach's relationship with Steve Young and how that has influenced his perspective given Young's career path behind Joe Montana.

Certainly a possibility.

Wouldn't be my first choice if I were ZW or NY, but it’s on the table. 

4 hours ago, Soko said:

Certainly a possibility.

Wouldn't be my first choice if I were ZW or NY, but it’s on the table. 

I'd much prefer this slow growth, patience approach as opposed to the whole draft a QB high, put nothing around them, watch them fail, then throw them away and do the whole thing all over again. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

He's still not very good, but he's no longer the game-losing anti-talent of last year. Aside from the season opener where he was clearly a little shell-shocked coming off the bench, he's been a QB that won't actively tank the roster. Maybe A-Rod has been mentoring him?

Nick Shook on NFL.com's QB index has him above Jordan Love, for what it's worth.

I mean he definitely still is. He's the only reason that Eagles game was even close, he couldn't do literally anything offensively.

• Like 1