Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

Since DE is such a premium position teams will always be willing to take a chance on a guy who is producing; even though there production might be in part to the players staying fresh due to this system. You're banking on the efficiency of snaps helping the players produce. Huff was great but what does his play look like when he has to play full drives because he's being paid. 

It benefits everyone: Players get to stay fresh, look good in their opportunities, and get paid for big money stats like sacks/FF. The team gets production from multiple players (injury mitigation due to depth), can let players walk for future compensatory picks, and will attract FAs because they have the opportunity to produce with less wear and tear.

I think Huff will be great where ever he goes but I think this is just part of how Joe D wants to approach the Dline and produce compensatory picks. We could see a nice mid-rounder for the projected salary of Huff and having a replacement on roster already. 

On 1/24/2024 at 10:07 AM, jetfuel34 said:

I agree here but if Bo Nix, Caleb Williams, Mays, or Daniels is there at 10 you have to take them. Let them sit for 2 years. I don't care what AR thinks. The packers did this to him and so will the Jets. I don't think the OL is that great of a need more than coaching and staying healthy. AVT coming back, Tippmann getting a year in the league, Warren getting starting time to be a soild back up and add a FA T and G would pretty much lock it in. You can't have good OL guys all around. That is just not a realistic goal. I would like to see this for OL next year. Go after Smith hard from Dallas. They can't afford him and he played on a 1 year 6 mill deal. I think a 1 year 8 mill would do it. Then go after Hunt from Miami as a G. The line would look like this Smith Hunt Tip Tomlinson AVT. Long story short give me a QB at 10. This is where Mahomes, Jackson and a lot of other great QB's where taken and sat behind a Vet. You have to make this move. 

I don't have an issue with QB for the Jets if the right guy is there at 10, Daniels would be my guy the way the league is changing at QB. If he's not there then Pratt or Ridder in round 3 would be a good investment. As for Smith, the guy is killer when he is healthy, the problem is he is never healthy enough to last a season. His career has been pot marked by injuries, so I would pass on Smith.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:07 AM, jetfuel34 said:

I agree here but if Bo Nix, Caleb Williams, Mays, or Daniels is there at 10 you have to take them. Let them sit for 2 years. I don't care what AR thinks. The packers did this to him and so will the Jets. I don't think the OL is that great of a need more than coaching and staying healthy. AVT coming back, Tippmann getting a year in the league, Warren getting starting time to be a soild back up and add a FA T and G would pretty much lock it in. You can't have good OL guys all around. That is just not a realistic goal. I would like to see this for OL next year. Go after Smith hard from Dallas. They can't afford him and he played on a 1 year 6 mill deal. I think a 1 year 8 mill would do it. Then go after Hunt from Miami as a G. The line would look like this Smith Hunt Tip Tomlinson AVT. Long story short give me a QB at 10. This is where Mahomes, Jackson and a lot of other great QB's where taken and sat behind a Vet. You have to make this move. 

If we take Nix at 10 I will stop watching the Jets once and for all. If we take a QB at 10 we basically traded for Rodgers for no reason. We are either going for it all or we are the dumbest franchise in the sport, which is pretty believable at this point. It will most certainly be a OL or WR to help this offense. 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:29 PM, Sapo28 said:

I think Huff will be great where ever he goes but I think this is just part of how Joe D wants to approach the Dline and produce compensatory picks. We could see a nice mid-rounder for the projected salary of Huff and having a replacement on roster already. 

If JD lets Huff walk for a compensatory pick he should be fired on the spot. You either work out a deal or tag and trade. Letting a 25 year old ascending DE, who just had double digit sacks playing around 50% of the snaps, just flat out walk should get you canned immediately. Idc what the cap implications are. Free agency is not how to build this team anyway. Cut the dead weight and eat the dead money. Letting Huff walk is malpractice. I believe in JD...but that will do it for me and I will be calling for his head.  

24 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If JD lets Huff walk for a compensatory pick he should be fired on the spot. You either work out a deal or tag and trade. Letting a 25 year old ascending DE, who just had double digit sacks playing around 50% of the snaps, just flat out walk should get you canned immediately. Idc what the cap implications are. Free agency is not how to build this team anyway. Cut the dead weight and eat the dead money. Letting Huff walk is malpractice. I believe in JD...but that will do it for me and I will be calling for his head.  

IMHO, Huff is signed then traded for draft pick OR they cut Mosley outright and give Huff the money and sign Mosley to half of what he was getting. 

If the Jets could swing a deal with GB swapping number 1's and getting their original number 2 and GB's number 2 the according to the  Draft Chart values it would work out perfect.

GB could wind up drafting one of the better WR/TE's in the draft. This would be the perfect scenario for the Jets.

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

If we take Nix at 10 I will stop watching the Jets once and for all. If we take a QB at 10 we basically traded for Rodgers for no reason. We are either going for it all or we are the dumbest franchise in the sport, which is pretty believable at this point. It will most certainly be a OL or WR to help this offense. 

If you look back the good teams draft their franchise QB in the middle of the first. KC took Mahomes at 10 when they had Alex Smith. He sat and learned from Smith. I think if a QB is there you take him if you think he is a franchise QB. 

20 minutes ago, Big T said:

If the Jets could swing a deal with GB swapping number 1's and getting their original number 2 and GB's number 2 the according to the  Draft Chart values it would work out perfect.

GB could wind up drafting one of the better WR/TE's in the draft. This would be the perfect scenario for the Jets.

Under normal conditions, that might work, but right now we don't even know who will be making the player decisions for the Jets, is it Salah and Joe Douglas or is it Rodgers & Woody? All we all know now is we need at least two top O line players & a top WR. How we get them is a different story. We only have one pick in the first 74 players in the 2024 draft. And we won't know our cap position for another two months. Everything else is all hypothetical trade talk as of now.

48 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

If you look back the good teams draft their franchise QB in the middle of the first. KC took Mahomes at 10 when they had Alex Smith. He sat and learned from Smith. I think if a QB is there you take him if you think he is a franchise QB. 

Robert Saleh isn't in the same level as Andy Reid.  Nor Jets as Packers.

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Big T said:

IMHO, Huff is signed then traded for draft pick OR they cut Mosley outright and give Huff the money and sign Mosley to half of what he was getting. 

Sign and trade will wreck the salary cap.   That is a dumb move ever.

Tendering Huff as non exclusive franchise player will reserve the figure in the salary cap but many teams won't offer him anything otherwise they will lose 2 first round picks.   That will delay Jets' aggression to fill out OL via FA.

Either way Jets won't be in good place to hold Huff as a hostage during FA weeks in March.  However, OL group as UFA is not that attractive for Jets so it is possible Jets keep Huff and sign crappy FA to fill out OL as they hope for standout rookies to save their sorry arse. AGAIN!

45 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Under normal conditions, that might work, but right now we don't even know who will be making the player decisions for the Jets, is it Salah and Joe Douglas or is it Rodgers & Woody? All we all know now is we need at least two top O line players & a top WR. How we get them is a different story. We only have one pick in the first 74 players in the 2024 draft. And we won't know our cap position for another two months. Everything else is all hypothetical trade talk as of now.

1st round will be a collective decision but Woody will step in if he wants a certain one.   Woody has been now fully running Jets.  Rodgers situation is our proof.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

I'm not sure what is worse, (1) the idea that someone could believe a universe exists where GB would make this trade or (2) that the target for GB would be a WR/TE.

From the GB side of this, everything about it is ridiculous.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not sure what is worse, (1) the idea that someone could believe a universe exists where GB would make this trade or (2) that the target for GB would be a WR/TE.

From the GB side of this, everything about it is ridiculous.

Genius Joe Douglas will pull it off!