Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

5 hours ago, Big T said:

If the Jets could swing a deal with GB swapping number 1's and getting their original number 2 and GB's number 2 the according to the  Draft Chart values it would work out perfect.

GB could wind up drafting one of the better WR/TE's in the draft. This would be the perfect scenario for the Jets.

Green Bay laughs and hangs up the phone

5 hours ago, Big T said:

If the Jets could swing a deal with GB swapping number 1's and getting their original number 2 and GB's number 2 the according to the  Draft Chart values it would work out perfect.

GB could wind up drafting one of the better WR/TE's in the draft. This would be the perfect scenario for the Jets.

GB would never do that, they rarely ever trade up and they don’t take skill players in the 1st, just pencil in an OL or Defensive player there now

Huff is a luxury at this point. A luxury we cannot afford, IMHO. Situational pass rushers are great, but we have invested heavily on edge rushers via the draft. It is time to take the training wheels off and let them loose next season. That Huff money needs to go to an interior run-stopping DT to play alongside Quinnen Williams, or a true left tackle to protect Rodgers, or a perfect complement to Garrett Wilson at wide receiver. If there is money left over, sign a proven backup QB for Rodgers. 

Remember, we need to be active and productive in free agency this year because we cannot fill all holes via the draft. And, there are things we need to select in the draft that we cannot find in free agency...e.g. a developmental quarterback.

Besides, there will be plenty of free agent options to replace Huff and the invisible man (Carl Lawson). Not just in March, but also after the draft during the second wave of free agency.

With John-Franklin Myers, Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald locked in as the top three defensive ends, we should let Huff walk. Again, IMHO.

Watching CNBC and Gronk appeared.  He talked about his partnership with Fan duel, but he was asked which TE would he pick out of Kittle and Kelce. He said Kelce is the GOAT but Kittle is the most complete TE in the game. Even brought up Kittle pancaking Hutchinson.  Then he mentioned how important it is to have a great TE in recent years. Of course the rest of the team has to be good, but it's a interesting point.  

Lions/LaPorta, 49ers/Kittle, Chiefs/Kelce, and Ravens/Andrews+Likely. 

Then you think of the TEs who were a part of high offenses and winning teams like Sharpe, Gronk, Graham, and others. I think Conklin is better than his stats show, but I'm looking at the position differently.  

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Watching CNBC and Gronk appeared.  He talked about his partnership with Fan duel, but he was asked which TE would he pick out of Kittle and Kelce. He said Kelce is the GOAT but Kittle is the most complete TE in the game. Even brought up Kittle pancaking Hutchinson.  Then he mentioned how important it is to have a great TE in recent years. Of course the rest of the team has to be good, but it's a interesting point.  

Lions/LaPorta, 49ers/Kittle, Chiefs/Kelce, and Ravens/Andrews+Likely. 

Then you think of the TEs who were a part of high offenses and winning teams like Sharpe, Gronk, Graham, and others. I think Conklin is better than his stats show, but I'm looking at the position differently.  

A good TE can be a matchup nightmare but it's also a high bust rate position that requires a ton of post draft development to do well.

A true stud TE that actually pans out only seems to happen every 4-5 years.

I'm also not surprised that a HOF tight end values the position highly.

6 minutes ago, drew39k said:

A good TE can be a matchup nightmare but it's also a high bust rate position that requires a ton of post draft development to do well.

A true stud TE that actually pans out only seems to happen every 4-5 years.

I'm also not surprised that a HOF tight end values the position highly.

I'm not sure about high bust rate. I can probably think of more TEs who did what they're expected to do based on the rounds they were picked than I can name actual busts. 

Throughout history, 4-5 years seems like the average but I think that's expanding because of the rules. Sometimes you come across Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, and others who can give you closer to 10 years of good play. 

I'm not saying use a top-10 pick on a TE or anything, I'm just saying a lot of the consistent high performing teams often have a good TE. Focusing on TE development is well worth it, imo. 

When Manning threw for 55tds, Julius Thomas had 12. When Brees threw for 46, he had Graham. When Brady won the SB with the Buccs, he had a retired version of Gronk who still almost hit 1,000 yards. Mahomes has Kelce. I can go on and on, but I think the TE position is a little more important that most people are thinking. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not sure about high bust rate. I can probably think of more TEs who did what they're expected to do based on the rounds they were picked than I can name actual busts. 

Throughout history, 4-5 years seems like the average but I think that's expanding because of the rules. Sometimes you come across Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, and others who can give you closer to 10 years of good play. 

I'm not saying use a top-10 pick on a TE or anything, I'm just saying a lot of the consistent high performing teams often have a good TE. Focusing on TE development is well worth it, imo. 

When Manning threw for 55tds, Julius Thomas had 12. When Brees threw for 46, he had Graham. When Brady won the SB with the Buccs, he had a retired version of Gronk who still almost hit 1,000 yards. Mahomes has Kelce. I can go on and on, but I think the TE position is a little more important that most people are thinking. 

I hate TE. I think people way over think them. If you need a tall target to go up high bring in your tall WR. If I need more blocking bring in your backup OL guy. You know Gronk is going to hype TE spot big time. I personally think a kicker is more important than a TE. Look at the kicks that have been missed in the playoffs to lose the game or win the game. Look at the Jets kickers after Mayers left. We finally get one in Greg the leg and we better keep him. 

40 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

The only real busts that come to mind over the last few years are OJ Howard and Noah Fant. TE is worth it as long as they plan to make the TE a big part of the passing game. 

Here's the bottom line with the Jets, if they can sign some quality OL in FA, then they are not pressed into having to draft a top OL in the draft. Likewise they could draft down a few spots if a player of interest for another team desires to move up.

Should the Jets sign a FA WR during the FA period, then the same rule applies, no need to spend a top pick on a WR. 

As for Huff, the point and only point I'm making, just like every diehard Jets fan is "do not allow him to walk without compensation" period!

There are ways to retain him, cut the dead weight, non essential, non productive, overhyped players and wala, the cash is available to keep him on the Jets. These are the only 2 options for the Jets as far as Huff is concerned.

ER is a top position of need for many teams, I don't see a shortage of suiters for Huffs services. Let the bidding begin.

22 hours ago, Dr.O said:

The only real busts that come to mind over the last few years are OJ Howard and Noah Fant. TE is worth it as long as they plan to make the TE a big part of the passing game. 

You forgot about Pitts, the so called best TE prospect to hit the draft. BUST. Don't forget about Hurst and Ebron too. There is a ton of bust for TE. Never draft one in the first 3 rounds. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

You forgot about Pitts, the so called best TE prospect to hit the draft. BUST. Don't forget about Hurst and Ebron too. There is a ton of bust for TE. Never draft one in the first 3 rounds. 

Ye had 1000yards his rookie year and then the coach decided not to feature him in the offense anymore on top of trying to turn him into an in line TE. 

23 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Tight Ends

Year No. Round Pick Player Name Team College

1 1 25 25 Dalton Kincaid Bills Utah

2 2 3 34 Sam LaPorta Lions Iowa

3 2 4 35 Michael Mayer Raiders Notre Dame

4 2 11 42 Luke Musgrave Packers Oregon State

5 2 27 58 Luke Schoonmaker Cowboys Michigan

6 2 30 61 Brenton Strange Jaguars Penn State

7 3 15 78 Tucker Kraft Packers South Dakota State

8 3 30 93 Darnell Washington Steelers Georgia

9 3 38 101 Cameron Latu 49ers Alabama

Too early to tell on most of these but I'll give you LaPorta in the 2nd.

1 2 23 55 Trey McBride Cardinals Colorado State

2 3 9 73 Jelani Woods Colts Virginia

3 3 16 80 Greg Dulcich Broncos UCLA

4 3 37 101 Jeremy Ruckert Jets Ohio State

None of these guys lived up to their draft slots yet.

1 1 4 4 Kyle Pitts Falcons Florida

2 2 23 55 Pat Freiermuth Steelers Penn State

3 3 17 81 Hunter Long Dolphins Boston College

4 3 19 83 Tommy Tremble Panthers Notre Dame

Pitts has a good rookie year then did nothing. A pile of meh here.

1 2 11 43 Cole Kmet Bears Notre Dame

2 3 27 91 Devin Asiasi Patriots UCLA

3 3 30 94 Josiah Deguara Packers Cincinnati

4 3 37 101 Dalton Keene Patriots Virginia Tech

5 3 41 105 Adam Trautman Saints Dayton

None of the tes drafted in the first three rounds did anything noteworthy.

1 1 8 8 T.J. Hockenson Lions Iowa

2 1 20 20 Noah Fant Broncos Iowa

3 2 18 50 Irv Smith Vikings Alabama

4 2 20 52 Drew Sample Bengals Washington

5 3 5 69 Josh Oliver Jaguars San Jose State

6 3 11 75 Jace Sternberger Packers Texas A&M

7 3 22 86 Kahale Warring Texans San Diego State

8 3 32 96 Dawson Knox Bills Mississippi

T.j. hockenson has played well but isn't nearly the "next gronk" that he was billed as. The lions even traded him to a divisional foe. 

Knox is probably the best te in the draft.

1 1 25 25 Hayden Hurst Ravens South Carolina

2 2 10 42 Mike Gesicki Dolphins Penn State

3 2 17 49 Dallas Goedert Eagles South Dakota State

4 3 22 86 Mark Andrews Ravens Oklahoma

5 3 34 98 Jordan Akins Texans Central Florida

Mark Andrews in the third is the only guy here that really made a difference. Geisiki could have been a guy but apparently not so much, seeing how little interest the league has in him when the phins let him walk.

1 1 19 19 O.J. Howard Buccaneers Alabama

2 1 23 23 Evan Engram Giants Mississippi

3 1 29 29 David Njoku Browns Miami (FL)

4 2 12 44 Gerald Everett Rams South Alabama

5 2 13 45 Adam Shaheen Bears Ashland

6 3 36 100 Jonnu Smith Titans Florida International

Njoku in the third was good. ...

Moral of the story. Don't draft TEs earlier than the third round. Just take shots on athletic prospects later.

Also, the anecdote about tes having good stats on prolific teams is very much a chicken/egg situation. Players in production offenses out up bigger stats. Did the te production cause the offense to be productive or did the dangerous offense give more opportunities for the test to generate stats?

• Like 2

I do not really believe we need a TE that high. Conklin is a good TE and I really like Ruckert. Ruckert is getting better and better, he is a great blocker and has really good hands. 

We need OL and WR. Jets apparently are high on Fuaga. I wouldn't be against it, sucks that he is a RT but he is really good. 

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Moral of the story. Don't draft TEs earlier than the third round. Just take shots on athletic prospects later.

Also, the anecdote about tes having good stats on prolific teams is very much a chicken/egg situation. Players in production offenses out up bigger stats. Did the te production cause the offense to be productive or did the dangerous offense give more opportunities for the test to generate stats?

I think this is where our mix up is. I wasn't stating that we should take one early. Simply pointing out how TEs are important in all these offenses and how it changed the way I look at the position. 

As for the question,  it depends. Sometimes you'll see guys like Sharp lead the 2000 ravens, Tony Gonzalez, Greg Olsen, and others who were the top performers on their offense. If it's like Kelce , sometimes they're the reason why your other targets get open because the safety can't help. They can be a QB best friend when they need to get the ball out quick,  Redzone threat, and be an extra blocker for them. The blocking also help the rushing attack.  

I like Conklin,  so I'm not Looking to replace him, but I hope we take developing the position a little more seriously than we have in recent years. 

Edited by rickyt31
  • Like 1