Jets 2023 General Talk

Mattmanz

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Ahead of a Week 11 game against the Bills, the Jets went younger, reducing playing time for veterans like tight end C.J. Uzomah, running back Dalvin Cook, Cobb and Lazard in favor of younger players and rookies, like sixth-round running back Israel Abanikanda, fourth-round tackle Carter Warren, undrafted receivers Jason Brownlee and Xavier Gipson and second-year tight end Jeremy Ruckert. The approach was approved by Johnson

we will be hard pressed to ever get a decent coach in here if they need to get approval by a Johnson brother on who they can play on game day 

Maybe because Jets basically asked to wave the white flag?   Dunno but still.  

I guess I'm just not dramatic enough, but 95% of that stuff in the athletic article doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Saleh venting in private about anxieties/misfortune is a normal *** human thing and I straight don't believe you if you're saying you don't do that with people you're comfortable with. Him wanting to find out who leaked the story to the press is also...reasonable. He's trying to protect his players. 

The one thing that seemed concerning was the Hackett stuff, but it was kinda vague and selective. Not saying it's bad reporting but all this is stuff that comes with losing when you expect to win. Obviously the story isn't gonna read "everyone was happy and seemed extremely competent."

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

The one thing that seemed concerning was the Hackett stuff, but it was kinda vague and selective. Not saying it's bad reporting but all this is stuff that comes with losing when you expect to win. Obviously the story isn't gonna read "everyone was happy and seemed extremely competent."

The article is essentially a shocked pikachu face over the Jets being bad because Rodgers went down. Nothing that wasn't obvious.

I'm not believing any of the reports. The jets are a easy punching bag because the franchise will always find a way to look stupid. Lol we provide the material for them. 

I'm frustrated with Saleh, but he's probably coaching us for another 2 years unless we miss the playoffs next season. I stopped looking at potential coaches. 

• Like 1

The Athletic report is old news rehashed. The only thing that stands out in the Jets current state of affairs is the mutual decision both by the Jets and Rex Hogan to move on from him.

Perhaps Hogan can land a GM job or was offered a GM job. To show you how corrupt the sports media is Hogan and the Jets decided on this move and was consummated almost a month ago.

But the sports media would have you believe that it was a piggy back story and if that were the case we could see how dysfunctional the organization is and was.

As for the Saleh gossip, when your losing, and when you're losing continually over a 3 year period, knowing the franchise history, qb history, drafting history, losing history. 

Is it so unnatural to feel the constant pressure that is NY Sports? When you win your the toast of the town, when you lose your a bum.

When you win you're a god, you're recognized all over N.Y.C. everybody loves you. 

Saleh is in a no win situation, but he understood the challenge, but lets be clear, the past 3 years he hasn't had an OL or a QB and only recently a top WR and RB.

Either way, this year is a prove it year for the Jets, but they don't need any more help from a media filled with options and without a clue about running an NFL team.

According to The Athletic, the Jets will keep Nathaniel Hackett at offensive coordinator but are also seeking “a more collaborative play-calling process.”
The report suggests that Jets head coach Robert Saleh has lost some faith in Hackett after he failed to adapt the offense following the injury to Aaron Rodgers. Hackett, who is friendly with Rodgers and was reportedly hand-selected to lead the Jets offense, was criticized for his stewardship of the offense and “multiple coaches and players described Hackett as lacking in attention to detail.” Jets star receiver Garrett Wilson also said after the season, “We’ve gotta make adjustments in the game, we’ve gotta do things to counter what we’re getting.” The Jets ranked last in third down conversions, red zone offense and total offensive EPA. They also finished 31st in total yards, 30th in offensive points per game and 30th in passing yards while scoring just 18 offensive touchdowns in 17 games. It makes sense to bring in some new voices.

I thought this was interesting. I think the best thing to do is bring in and O guy to help Hackett. I think even AR knows he needs some help. I think Todd Monken or Brian Johnson (eagles old OC) would help him out a lot. 

17 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I will be praying for Ben Johnson for the next ~365 days.  

Rumor has it he’s unsure about taking a HC gig, but if he’s really asking for Harbaugh type money, I can’t see it happening if that’s the case again next year.

IF these numbers are right it is going to hard for me to be excited about the 2024 NFL draft for the NY Jets

2024 draft picks for the Jets in order first round 10th overall pick second round no picks third round pick 72 fourth round pick #111 & 113   

This cap number will change but as of now we have, $4,972000 to spend on FA players. Thats not enough to get us a long snapper. We really need at least one FA top Oline player, and that is going to be hard to do.                      

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

IF these numbers are right it is going to hard for me to be excited about the 2024 NFL draft for the NY Jets

2024 draft picks for the Jets in order first round 10th overall pick second round no picks third round pick 72 fourth round pick #111 & 113   

This cap number will change but as of now we have, $4,972000 to spend on FA players. Thats not enough to get us a long snapper. We really need at least one FA top Oline player, and that is going to be hard to do.                      

I don't think so. Things change so fast and JD tends to work the cap really well. I think they sign 1 big FA and a few mid level guys. I think a trade down would happen unless Alt is there which could really happen. They are showing Alt going right around bottom 10 to outside the top 10. 

Eric Bieniemy is out there (again). Nobody wants this guy. Are the Chiefs better without him? Are they the same? Was Bieniemy bad in Washington? 

If it is true that we are looking for a "more collaborative approach" to the offensive play-calling, whatever in the hell that means, Bieniemy seems like a logical guy to bring in. 

As for free agency, we definitely need to be active there. The big names are great, but we need to come away from free agency with at least one offensive lineman (either a starter or quality depth option), a SOLID backup quarterback and a run-stuffing defensive tackle to line up next to Quinnen. That is on top of bringing back our kicker and punter. 

If we can accomplish that, I would feel pretty good going into the draft.

I will throw out names just for the hell of it: 

Trent Brown

Jacoby Brissett

D.J. Reader

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Eric Bieniemy is out there (again). Nobody wants this guy. Are the Chiefs better without him? Are they the same? Was Bieniemy bad in Washington? 

Maybe it is because he is just not that good.  The KC O is run by Reid and a generational QB and TE.  Losing Hill and not replacing him hurt.  Yet they are in the SB.  Again.  Bienemy had little to do with the O when he was there.

We saw what his O is really like when left to his own devices and without Mahomes, Hill and Kelce.  No bueno.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:00 PM, xrade said:

Maybe it is because he is just not that good.  The KC O is run by Reid and a generational QB and TE.  Losing Hill and not replacing him hurt.  Yet they are in the SB.  Again.  Bienemy had little to do with the O when he was there.

We saw what his O is really like when left to his own devices and without Mahomes, Hill and Kelce.  No bueno.

Yeah, maybe. But he went to Washington at the complete and total opposite end of the offensive spectrum. And, they put up points and moved the ball with Howell. Howell is just a turnover machine.

Anyway, we have a generational QB so maybe Bieniemy would be worth a shot. He has to be better than Hackett.