Montez Sweat Traded to Chicago for 2024 2nd

e16bball

Just now, ARTMONK HOF said:

If they don’t get along, I’m thinking it could be on how fast he was getting back from injury. 

I agree. But there's a lot of rumors of Chase enjoying what being a football player brings as opposed to actually being a football player. I'm not sure I believe it but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Great value!  Sweat has been a consistently good player, not great, but good.  He has also been healthy consistently.  I expect he will have a solid career.  

I would think we will now be franchising Young.  But I expect Young will be gone the following year.

If I am the team, I would be trying to extend, at reasonable prices, some of our rotational guys like Toohill, Obada and Smith-Williams.  Even if you extend one, that brings some stability to that part of roster.

Now we will watch and judge the decision based upon their careers.  Although, I still think there was no chance in hell we could keep them both and so we had to trade at least one of them.  They also were fortunate to play next to the Allen/Payne tandem so it is hard to believe either will suddenly rise to consistently elite players.

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'd tag Chase if they don't want to extend him. Then they can move assets next year if they still feel strongly.

This is where I’m at. My intention would be to keep him, and use the franchise tag as a threat in negotiations.

I think you (and others) are right to be concerned about Chase’s effort level in the run game. But he has previously been a reliably good player in that role, and his get-off right now seems MUCH quicker than it was early in his career. He is smoking dudes on the edge, and speed-to-power has always been an underrated weapon for him. If all that comes together, he’s not quite knocking on the Garrett/Bosa door, maybe, but he’s a genuine superstar.

He’s 24 years old. You can’t let a guy with the whole package get out the door without very substantial compensation, even when he has the various question marks surrounding him that Chase has at the moment. 

I would canvas these playoff teams like DET, KC, BAL, even ATL to see if they’re interested in biting on a 1st (or a similarly valuable package). That’s honestly not a whole lot more than what we got for Sweat. But that’s where I’d draw the line — we no longer need to move any of these guys, it’s gotta be worth our while. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Great value!  Sweat has been a consistently good player, not great, but good.  He has also been healthy consistently.  I expect he will have a solid career.  

I would think we will now be franchising Young.  But I expect Young will be gone the following year.

[b]If I am the team, I would be trying to extend, at reasonable prices, some of our rotational guys like Toohill, Obada and Smith-Williams.  Even if you extend one, that brings some stability to that part of roster.[/b]

Now we will watch and judge the decision based upon their careers.  Although, I still think there was no chance in hell we could keep them both and so we had to trade at least one of them.  They also were fortunate to play next to the Allen/Payne tandem so it is hard to believe either will suddenly rise to consistently elite players.

Those are the kind of guys who are replaceable for good franchises, IMO.  The historically competitive teams don’t pay for depth, they let those guys go when their contracts are up.  

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Not to change the subject but how do we cover Sweat's spot. Platoon Toohill and J S-W ? Mix in the rookies. Honestly don't think they'll be any worse .

Yeah, I think it will be JSW starting with Obada & Toohill getting snaps at both defensive end spots.

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Not to change the subject but how do we cover Sweat's spot. Platoon Toohill and J S-W ? Mix in the rookies. Honestly don't think they'll be any worse .

They have been rotating them a lot already. I imagine Toohill gets the "start" but a solid rotation is likely.