Montez Sweat Traded to Chicago for 2024 2nd

e16bball

12 hours ago, taylor made said:

Montez was a great athlete and an above average player but he wasn't a killer. Let's be real, no one feared Montez Sweat. He beat up on bad teams/players. I'm not sure what on earth the Bears are doing. They should be rebuilding, but I think the GM is starting to feel the heat after sticking with Justin Fields. 

I agree. Getting a Top 40 pick for him now was actually smart. I still don't agree with the value or actually shipping off Young after, but I think this was a no brainer for us and a great deal. Now just capitalize on it. 

• Like 3

I read a little on some Bears forums about this trade. One guy referenced PFF scores to proclaim Sweat as our most dominant DL over the last 4 years. I mean, I like Montez a lot and I hope he kills in it Chicago because honestly he's just a great all around guy but Allen and Payne have blown the ends away. And Allen has been our most dominant DL up until this season where I believe he's been dealing with foot issues. Its funny to see the perception of other players that fans haven't watched based on PFF scores. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I read a little on some Bears forums about this trade. One guy referenced PFF scores to proclaim Sweat as our most dominant DL over the last 4 years. I mean, I like Montez a lot and I hope he kills in it Chicago because honestly he's just a great all around guy but Allen and Payne have blown the ends away. And Allen has been our most dominant DL up until this season where I believe he's been dealing with foot issues. Its funny to see the perception of other players that fans haven't watched based on PFF scores. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Happy for Montez. Good for him!

I tried to tell everyone he was going to get a big APY. Everyone kept saying he would be easier to sign than Young but if he hit the open market he probably would've even got more than this. Its just the rate DE are going for now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Love it,my boy is set for life 😎. Good dude 

I think pretty much every WAS fan is going to be happy for Tez. He gave us all he had, and he had some really great moments for us.

I’m also really glad we aren’t the ones giving him $73M guaranteed on a basically 9 figure deal.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

😳

I knew he would get paid, I just didn’t think it would be that much.  He’s certainly worth that money more than Chase is worth it, however.  Bears also got ahead of the market looking thin in both FA and the draft.  

I think it's TBD still which one is worth the money. I fully realize Tez has mostly stayed healthy while Chase hasn't, but it's not like Tez - who's 27 - has totally blown up into one of the NFL’s top 5 DE’s, and paying him as such is something I have gone back and forth with for 3 years.

Yes, Tez is a good DE, but he's 3 years older than Chase & hasn't had a true breakout season. He's had games/flashes of dominance but never even for a quarter of a season straight. I've maintained that Tez is a finished product at his age and soon will be declining as a player while Chase is just entering his prime going into his free agency season.

When his extension kicks in, Tez will be 29 I think. Whenever Chase gets a new contract, his extension will kick in when he's 26. That's a big age difference in what you're paying a player $20 plus mil a year & when they're in their prime getting that much $ vs Tez who will be exiting his prime in his 30s when he's making most of his $20 plus mil a year.

Edited by turtle28

40 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think it's TBD still which one is worth the money. I fully realize Tez has mostly stayed healthy while Chase hasn't, but it's not like Tez - who's 27 - has totally blown up into one of the NFL’s top 5 DE’s, and paying him as such is something I have gone back and forth with for 3 years.

Yes, Tez is a good DE, but he's 3 years older than Chase & hasn't had a true breakout season. He's had games/flashes of dominance but never even for a quarter of a season straight. I've maintained that Tez is a finished product at his age and soon will be declining as a player while Chase is just entering his prime going into his free agency season.

When his extension kicks in, Tez will be 29 I think. Whenever Chase gets a new contract, his extension will kick in when he's 26. That's a big age difference in what you're paying a player $20 plus mil a year & when they're in their prime getting that much $ vs Tez who will be exiting his prime in his 30s when he's making most of his $20 plus mil a year.

Sweat’s extension goes into effect next year.  He’s a much more balanced player, less of an injury risk, and is still a rusher who is going to put up double digit numbers.  

Chase is a huge boom/bust signing by whoever does it.  I think the Bears are going to be just happy with the production coming from Sweat and knowing what to expect.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sweat’s extension goes into effect next year.  He’s a much more balanced player, less of an injury risk, and is still a rusher who is going to put up double digit numbers.  

Chase is a huge boom/bust signing by whoever does it.  I think the Bears are going to be just happy with the production coming from Sweat and knowing what to expect.  

Again, the main point is Chase isn't a finished product, he's just 24 & missed a year and half of development bc of his knee injury through no fault of his own. Yes, it's a fact that he got hurt but I don't know that it makes him more of a risk or not.

I think the age makes a difference bc Chase should still improve over the next few years while yes Tez will be what he currently is which is good but, I don't see him improving where Chase still has potential & consistency he hasn't reached yet.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Again, the main point is Chase isn't a finished product, he's just 24 & missed a year and half of development bc of his knee injury through no fault of his own. Yes, it's a fact that he got hurt but I don't know that it makes him more of a risk or not.

I think the age makes a difference bc Chase should still improve over the next few years while yes Tez will be good but, I don't see him improving where Chase still has potential & consistency he hasn't reached yet.

You just made my point for me, Chase is a boom or bust guy.  Should improve.  Has potential.  But that investment could backfire for any number of reasons right now.  It doesn’t bode well for the perception of Chase’s attitude that Ron Rivera wanted to get rid of him though.  

Sweat has just been more consistent, and if I was the GM, I am infinitely more comfortable about giving Sweat a big contract versus giving Chase one.  That’s my point.  You are also right- Chase isn’t a finished product, and he could easily exceed Sweat’s production if he cashes in on his potential. 

• Like 1