Chase Young to Niners for conditional 3rd round pick

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Excuse me? I go down through the topics to see what I’ve missed every few days & then I see a page of fans crapping on Chase like he slept with their wife or something so, I just thought I’d chime in and basically saying the dudes career is not over yet.

So when people speak the truth about someone's performance, who just so happened to be one of your favorite players, they are crapping on him? 

It's all good for you to like someone, but sometimes you gotta call it like it is, dude was/is a bust. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

So when people speak the truth about someone's performance, who just so happened to be one of your favorite players, they are crapping on him? 

It's all good for you to like someone, but sometimes you gotta call it like it is, dude was/is a bust. 

I don’t call people busts who had their careers derailed by injury. You can call it what you want but I won’t agree. Chase still has years in front of him to prove he was worth a top 5 pick & he is just in his first season back after a near career ending injury. He hasn’t worked out SO FAR in the league but I still don’t think his development is over, he’s just coming off his first contract and is only going to be 25 in April. 

But it is what it is. Agree to disagree.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t call people busts who had their careers derailed by injury. You can call it what you want but I won’t agree. Chase still has years in front of him to prove he was worth a top 5 pick & he is just in his first season back after a near career ending injury. He hasn’t worked out SO FAR in the league but I still don’t think his development is over, he’s just coming off his first contract and is only going to be 25 in April. 

Whether you like it or not, players bust because of injury too. Also as it has been pointed out many, MANY times, he wasn't performing before his injury either. He can still figure it out, absolutely, but I'm sure there will always be excuses if he doesn't. 

Can you at least finally admit that the team was right to decline the 5th year option? I would be willing to make you a bet that Chase Young won't get anywhere near the 17.45M GTD he would have been paid on the option.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Whether you like it or not, players bust because of injury too. Also as it has been pointed out many, MANY times, he wasn't performing before his injury either. He can still figure it out, absolutely, but I'm sure there will always be excuses if he doesn't. 

Can you at least finally admit that the team was right to decline the 5th year option? I would be willing to make you a bet that Chase Young won't get anywhere near the 17.45M GTD he would have been paid on the option.

Nope, don’t agree. 

As it currently stands our DE depth chart went from being top 10 in the league to being the worst in the NFL. So, you can’t convince me that not retaining Chase on the 5th year option who was on pace to get 11 sacks & do who knows what else as far as helping to generate turnovers was a good thing for this organization.

Because we didn’t retain him, we must go out and use one of our top 40 draft picks or spend in free agency for another DE who will be older than him, cost more than $17 million on a huge long term deal and likely put up the same stats as Chase did this year, AT BEST!

For example a lot of fans on twitter want Washington to go out and spend huge FA $ to sign Brian Burns away from Carolina.

Brian Burns is a year older than Chase, he’s 20 pounds lighter than Chase, he only had 8 sacks this season, he doesn’t play the run as well as Chase & his projected contract per year on average is $22 million a year.

That’s $5 million more a year for Burns who at worst is a comparable player to Chase and IMO isn’t as good all around as Chase & Chase still hasn’t reached his potential bc of the knee injury.

Still doesn’t make sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by turtle28

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Nope, don’t agree. 

As it currently stands our DE depth chart went from being top 10 in the league to being the worst in the NFL. So, you can’t convince me that not retaining Chase on the 5th year option who was on pace to get 11 sacks & do who knows what else as far as helping to generate turnovers was a good thing for this organization.

Chase finished with 7.5 sacks on the year. No need to talk about projections. 

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Because we didn’t retain him, we must go out and use one of our top 40 draft picks or spend in free agency for another DE who will be older than him, cost more than $17 million on a huge long term deal and likely put up the same stats as Chase did this year, AT BEST!

Actually replacing Sweat is much harder than Young. You can't discount losing Sweat when talking about our DE depth being "top 10". Notice how Sweat got the LTD and kept producing when he went to another team? 

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

For example a lot of fans on twitter want Washington to go out and spend huge FA $ to sign Brian Burns away from Carolina.

Brian Burns is a year older than Chase, he’s 20 pounds lighter than Chase, he only had 8 sacks this season, he doesn’t play the run as well as Chase & his projected contract per year on average is $22 million a year.

That’s $5 million more a year for Burns who at worst is a comparable player to Chase and IMO isn’t as good as Chase & Chase still hasn’t reached his potential bc of the knee injury.

Ok... 

I know why I try to avoid these conversations. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Chase finished with 7.5 sacks on the year. No need to talk about projections. 

Actually replacing Sweat is much harder than Young. You can't discount losing Sweat when talking about our DE depth being "top 10". Notice how Sweat got the LTD and kept producing when he went to another team? 

Ok... 

I know why I try to avoid these conversations. 

Fair enough, I did not ask you to reply to my post. You chose to knowing what my answer would likely be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 11:03 AM, turtle28 said:

Turtle, this is the same as people STILL saying that the only reason RG3 didn't work out here was because he got injured (*).

Yes, Chase got injured and missed a year. But he wasn't doing that great the 10 games leading up to that injury that year. Also, Bosa missed just as many games and no one is saying that his "career was derailed by injury". Know why? Because Bosa is that dude. He's the one that OC's and O-linemen are crapping themselves trying to figure out how to block. Chase? He plays patty cake with the OT and then just dances standing up while others make plays.

The dude stopped trying to get better after that rookie season. I mean he gives up on pretty much every play when he sees he is not going to make the splash. This is when he is not running himself out of position. He was a bust for us. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but he was. 

Can he turn his career around? Sure. If he gets his head out of a dark place between his legs and actually tries to get better. He would need to show up to voluntary OTAs and workouts/sessions and continuously hone his craft. But past being prologue, my bet is he won't do that unless he gets humbled by a one year prove it deal.

Sorry that he's a favorite of yours, but he just isn't as good as everyone said he was going to be. He's JAG at this point of his career and is going to be lucky for a team to sign him to more than a 1-2 year deal.   

(*) and those of us who watched him know that the guy was a tremendous athlete but he could not run a pro offense.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sorry that he's a favorite of yours, but he just isn't as good as everyone said he was going to be. He's JAG at this point of his career and is going to be lucky for a team to sign him to more than a 1-2 year deal.   

He's a Pro Bowl cheerleader though. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 9:59 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Turtle, this is the same as people STILL saying that the only reason RG3 didn't work out here was because he got injured (*).

Yes, Chase got injured and missed a year. But he wasn't doing that great the 10 games leading up to that injury that year. Also, Bosa missed just as many games and no one is saying that his "career was derailed by injury". Know why? Because Bosa is that dude. He's the one that OC's and O-linemen are crapping themselves trying to figure out how to block. Chase? He plays patty cake with the OT and then just dances standing up while others make plays.

The dude stopped trying to get better after that rookie season. I mean he gives up on pretty much every play when he sees he is not going to make the splash. This is when he is not running himself out of position. He was a bust for us. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but he was. 

Can he turn his career around? Sure. If he gets his head out of a dark place between his legs and actually tries to get better. He would need to show up to voluntary OTAs and workouts/sessions and continuously hone his craft. But past being prologue, my bet is he won't do that unless he gets humbled by a one year prove it deal.

(*) and those of us who watched him know that the guy was a tremendous athlete but he could not run a pro offense.

Incidentally enough, I think RG3 coming in now would be substantially better off.

Onto Chase:

Coming out of college, I heard so much about his bull rush and how this would be the go to move. It’s the case, and it’s his go to move but it’s also his only move. Chase also can’t so easily just outmuscle lineman at this level and because of the injury, he doesn’t have the speed capability anymore either.

Chase got in and decided “that’s enough.”

Again I say, guy got where he was based on his raw talent for several years. He never had to WORK WORK to get to the next step. He was the #2 recruit from HS, and then selected 2 overall. He’s resting on his laurels

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Man I noticed that .. Yesterday Gibbs ran away from his side around the right end and scored. Chase was just jogging over to that sideline and Gibbs cut back to the middle before scoring. If Chase had been hustling he would have been in position to Polaxe Gibbs at about the 3 yard line.! It's easy to find the video-check it out. Chase kinda reaches out weakly as Gibbs goes by him to score . It's an unbelievable lack of effort.

He got zero pressure on almost 100% of pass rushes. I was smiling thinking yeah--I'll that 3rd round pick-better than nothing which he is now. He done- maybe he's playing on one leg. 

Edited by RSkinGM
new info
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Just goes to show no matter how physically gifted a player is if you don’t have love for the game and effort /heart it takes to be great you become Chase Young. 

I was watching the NFC Championship game and shaking my head. If ever there was a time to put your best foot forward, a chance to go to the SB should be that. Unfortunately it was the same stuff that we had seen here. Glad we didn't pick up that option and guarantee 17.452M towards him. 

• Like 1