Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

50 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Maybe Mark really is just doing the whole thing from a ‘hire the GM then let them hire the HC’ method. It’s definitely a disadvantage in terms of dominoes potentially falling before we even get to them, though.

Considering he went on the record and said that was his plan 20 days ago, I think you're correct.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is a wild offseason already. There are some premier coaching options both all time and up and coming this cycle. Will be interesting to see what happens in Dallas and Philly if they want one of these big names. Very intriguing to see where everyone lands.

Schefty also said that there's a chance Mike Tomlin steps away after this season too

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Considering he went on the record and said that was his plan 20 days ago, I think you're correct.

People in the league say a lot of things they don’t really mean, though.

Some do so deliberately, whereas others do it because they’re impatient or reactionary or don’t really know what they want - and I think Mark Davis is probably a combination of all of those things.

23 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

People in the league say a lot of things they don’t really mean, though.

Some do so deliberately, whereas others do it because they’re impatient or reactionary or don’t really know what they want - and I think Mark Davis is probably a combination of all of those things.

People on here are acting like it's strange that we haven't put in any interview requests for a head coach when Mark literally just did a 2 hour sit down discussing the importance of getting the hire right and that he wanted to have a GM in place before starting the coaching search lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's close with Vrabel apparently. Hire Vrabel, Peters as GM and let him hire OC off the 9ers staff. Wouldn't hate it if the alternative is poor mans Vrabel and Champ Kelly. 

Do you really think he'll hire Vrabel after his former co-worker just fired him in Tennessee? As you said a defensive coach's success is almost entirely dependent on the offensive staff that they're capable of building. Vrabel just got it wrong twice in terms of his pick at OC.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

It is odd that they haven’t even attempted to comply with the Rooney Rule first, which they’d have to do even if they hire Pierce.

We'll have satisfied the Rooney rule after tomorrow's interview with Terrance Gray because we've already interviewed Kelly Kleine Van Calligan.

Edited by NYRaider

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We'll have satisfied the Rooney rule after tomorrow's interview with Terrance Gray because we've already interviewed Kelly Kleine Van Calligan.

Do you not have to satisfy the Rooney Rule for both HC and GM positions individually?

Serious question, not trying to be rhetorical. But I assumed we’d need to meet the criteria for both of them. So while we’ll meet it comfortably with the GM process, we couldn’t just hire AP because we haven’t met it for the HC one.

Edit to add - there would be a certain level of irony in not being able to appoint a minority coach because we haven’t complied with the rule designed to assist in the employment of minority coaches.

Edited by Nightmare

23 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Well they haven’t had a guy who can do either consistently in the last decade. I mean since Amari Cooper has any first pick been a layup? I feel like everyone has gotten cute in the first. 

This is true and it's what I mean by NBA GM. NBA GMs tank so they can get a "no brainer" pick. When they draft outside the top 3, scouting becomes the most important thing.

In the NFL, it's usually the top 5 or 10 depending on how good that draft year is. Reggie hit on Mack (#5), Cooper (#4), and Kolton (#15). Just guessing, but I think Kolton was a Tom Cable pick moreso than a Reggie pick. Mack and Cooper were blue chips. Mayock was terrible at 1st round picks outside of Jacobs, who I think the Raiders could have gotten in the 2nd round. Zeigler only drafted a player in the 1st round once (Tyree Wilson). The jury is still out on him.

I get what you are saying though. Telesco was better at getting 1st round picks right than any of the above Raider GMs.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We’ve probably already satisfied it if they’ve already done their interview with Champ. 

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Do you not have to satisfy the Rooney Rule for both HC and GM positions individually?

Serious question, not trying to be rhetorical. But I assumed we’d need to meet the criteria for both of them. So while we’ll meet it comfortably with the GM process, we couldn’t just hire AP because we haven’t met it for the HC one.

Yes individually.

Regardless of if we're going to hire AP we still have to interview two other minority candidates outside of the building.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

We’ve probably already satisfied it if they’ve already done their interview with Champ. 

Champ doesn't count for the Rooney rule since he's currently employed by the team. Gray and the chick. I also believe we have to announce AP and Champ's interviews

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Champ doesn't count for the Rooney rule since he's currently employed by the team. Gray and the chick. I also believe we have to announce AP and Champ's interviews

Ahhhhh that’s right. Totally slipped my mind. I don’t believe we have to announce them though until after at least.  At least not if the last two hiring cycles are applicable that we’ve had, but the rule could have changed since then 

Edited by FloydFan