Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

21 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Big No on Gruden.

He’s better than McDaniels but painfully average. He’s basically another McDaniels type 90s dinosaur who sees players as Xs and Os. It’s Grudens way or the highway.

We need a players coach and someone who relates to players better. 

People are going to have different opinions on the wild idea of Gruden coming back to coach us, which would be a long shot of happening at best, but to claim Gruden is a “90s dinosaur” and comparable to JMD in his relationship to players is IMO, and to be honest I think it’s not even my opinion but a fact, is absolutely wrong.

Most players both respect and love Gruden.  Why else would so many players not only defend him against racism claims but also affectionately refer to him as “my coach” or just “coach”.  

I get wanting a young coach and being afraid of bringing in another coach whose ego is a cancer to the team after the JMD experience, but you’re acting like Gruden offense was failing and that’s just not true.  we had a good offense under Gruden and it was climaxing with Ruggs giving us a dynamic deep threat and playmaker.  I’d have loved to see Gruden’s offense if he was around in ‘22 with Adams (or Adams and Ruggs if that incident never happened).  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I need to hear the dirt on Lombardi. That one made me laugh because he's a virtual nobody and gets tossed out with them. 

Hondo in a recent podcast mentioned a staff member a lot of people wanted gone after last season that JMD stuck with. Said he's still employed, so wouldn't out him. I wonder who that guy is. 

Im very curious as to who the unliked assistant coach is.  I’d tend to think it would be John Carroll alum Jerry Schuplinski but if not him Carmen Bricillio.  Why did Denzel Good take a paycut to stay with the team and then retire right before training camp and then recently posted on Twitter:

Ruined a good thing too damn fast man! And with shady business on top of that?? Tsk tsk tsk

Just how some of the guys, myself included, got done
Man I think they were gone use me for preseason fodder, and if no injuries, just let me go. Talked a good talk tho.
 “

Then there were the issues Waller had throughout the season, it just wasn’t the wedding announcement by JMD.

The coach probably became disliked for talking to the players confidentially and running back to JMD and Zeigler like a snitch.  I had heard that was happening often.  The whole thing about spying on players social media was absolutely insane, IMO.

I dislike Lombardi for a few reasons:  he’s unprofessional and runs to his daddy to spread lies in the media.  That’s one way to get players to hate and or not respect you.  He should never have been hired to be a OC and only was because JMD needed to hire his loyalists.  He hired guys to positions above their abilities.  Mick should never have been advanced beyond a WR coach in NE and wouldn’t have if not for JMD wanting to give the OC job to someone he’s worked with before so 1) he could run the offense and act as the de facto OC and if there’s issues he’s got a fall guy in place and could serve Mick up to be fired which would in buy him more time- he’s done that move before (example: look at how he told Steve Scarnecchia to tape the other team then served him up to be the fall guy) 2) he’s got a guy what will comply and not challenge him.  Lombardi wasn’t going to be brining anything new to the table.  3) he fills the coaching staff with coaches who will report to him any issues, unhappiness, etc from players- essentially he’s got a spy.  The coaches like Mick act like “a players coach” and create an environment where players feel safe to speak candidly but then Mick runs right to JMD like a snitch.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Not all the articles I read. Harbaugh was strict and lit players up in a condescending way on the regular. The players were sick of it. 

Being strict and holding players accountable doesn't mean you're not a player coach. 

That said, I've heard his old school style wears on professional players over time (similar to Gruden), which is why I think he's best long term in college. 

I wonder what Antonio Pierce's chances are at becoming head coach. If things go well (i.e. the team looks better than it did during the first 8 weeks and players are happy), I could see him being signed to a modest 3-year deal while the roster is rebuilt. I imagine that Davis would be reluctant to re-do the Bisaccia mistake after he was so beloved after Gruden left. 

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I wonder what Dameon Pierce's chances are at becoming head coach. If things go well (i.e. the team looks better than it did during the first 8 weeks and players are happy), I could see him being signed to a modest 3-year deal while the roster is rebuilt. I imagine that Davis would be reluctant to re-do the Bisaccia mistake after he was so beloved after Gruden left. 

Letting Bisaccia go wasn’t a mistake, jeeze, let it go. He was a perfect pick for Interim Coach. Just like Pierce is a perfect pick for Interim Coach, high energy and inspirational/motivational. He has zero experience putting a staff together and also not a guy that’s going to install a system. 

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Letting Bisaccia go wasn’t a mistake, jeeze, let it go. He was a perfect pick for Interim Coach. Just like Pierce is a perfect pick for Interim Coach, high energy and inspirational/motivational. He has zero experience putting a staff together and also not a guy that’s going to install a system. 

In hindsight, it absolutely was. And, my post addresses Davis' perspective. He may see a similar circumstance at the end of the year where players have galvanized behind an interim head coach and Davis has to either hire a new head coach or stick with the interim guy.

Just because Pierce has no experience putting a staff together or installing a system does not mean he cannot be a head coach. Dan Campbell and John Harbaugh were never coordinators before they became head coaches and there is no indication they had any experience putting a staff together. Mike McDaniel and Mike Tomlin were coordinators for one year before they became head coaches. Ultimately, we have no idea which coordinators, if any, had any experience putting a staff together before they became head coaches. And, for what it's worth, Pierce will have 9 weeks of head coaching experience and managing a staff before he'll interview with Davis. My point is there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to becoming and being a head coach.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

People are going to have different opinions on the wild idea of Gruden coming back to coach us, which would be a long shot of happening at best, but to claim Gruden is a “90s dinosaur” and comparable to JMD in his relationship to players is IMO, and to be honest I think it’s not even my opinion but a fact, is absolutely wrong.

Most players both respect and love Gruden.  Why else would so many players not only defend him against racism claims but also affectionately refer to him as “my coach” or just “coach”.  

I get wanting a young coach and being afraid of bringing in another coach whose ego is a cancer to the team after the JMD experience, but you’re acting like Gruden offense was failing and that’s just not true.  we had a good offense under Gruden and it was climaxing with Ruggs giving us a dynamic deep threat and playmaker.  I’d have loved to see Gruden’s offense if he was around in ‘22 with Adams (or Adams and Ruggs if that incident never happened).  

Good post, I was never a fan of Gruden second time around and whilst he was a terrible pseudo GM as we all knew he would be, a bit like McDaniels he definitely knows football and offence. Agree that it's a shame his vision of offence didn;t come to fruition with Ruggs.

The only way I'd be OK with Gruden coming back is if he was a coach only and he had a superior that he was genuinely accountable to as GM, a proper hierarchy structure. If we are looking to go down that road, I actually see it right now as Mark Davis having a bit of leverage and being able to set conditions like that which he obviously couldn't last time. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice and I don't know if Gruden would be humble enough to take on something like that knowing he'd have to cede to someone else. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SodakRaiders said:

1. Ejiro Evero

2. Mike McDonald

3. Ben Johnson

4. Raheem Morris

5. Dan Quinn

6. Matt Campbell

That's a nice list to be fair. I have no real knowledge of GM candidates so not going to pretend with that one but right now, my list would look something like:

i)  Jim Harbaugh

ii)  Ejiro Evero

iii)  Mike Vrabel (though I think Billy Jeans just saved his job)  

iv)  Ben Johnson

v)  Mike McDonald

Though i also really, really want to see what Antonio Pearce does and if we can pair him with a hotshot OC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

its very similar to the carr/jimmy situation. 
letting bisaccia/carr go wasnt a mistake. . . You can, and need better to be consistent threat. 
Its just who we followed them up with that was a massive mistake. 
Looking back now, i do wish we kept Rich over JMD, but I doubt Rich was even our 2nd choice at the time. 

Getting the replacement wrong, will always make the decision of moving on look worse. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Gruden was never second to last in scoring no matter who he had

I don't see how anyone can knock Grudens for anything other than pure speculation. The fact is, what he was doing was working, we were a winning football team when through no fault of his, some stars got injured, some arrested and he was forced to resign.  He wasn't perfect but we were winning. It was the best we had looked in a looong time, I don't see how you can take the position of "God no, I would hate to have that man back". 

There's a saying and I forgot it, but it went something like "when you've got it good, the one who wants to be great made it worse"

I wouldn't mind if Gruden came back. It wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to us and that's truth. 

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Im very curious as to who the unliked assistant coach is.  I’d tend to think it would be John Carroll alum Jerry Schuplinski but if not him Carmen Bricillio.  Why did Denzel Good take a paycut to stay with the team and then retire right before training camp and then recently posted on Twitter:

Ruined a good thing too damn fast man! And with shady business on top of that?? Tsk tsk tsk

Just how some of the guys, myself included, got done
Man I think they were gone use me for preseason fodder, and if no injuries, just let me go. Talked a good talk tho.
 “

Then there were the issues Waller had throughout the season, it just wasn’t the wedding announcement by JMD.

The coach probably became disliked for talking to the players confidentially and running back to JMD and Zeigler like a snitch.  I had heard that was happening often.  The whole thing about spying on players social media was absolutely insane, IMO.

I dislike Lombardi for a few reasons:  he’s unprofessional and runs to his daddy to spread lies in the media.  That’s one way to get players to hate and or not respect you.  He should never have been hired to be a OC and only was because JMD needed to hire his loyalists.  He hired guys to positions above their abilities.  Mick should never have been advanced beyond a WR coach in NE and wouldn’t have if not for JMD wanting to give the OC job to someone he’s worked with before so 1) he could run the offense and act as the de facto OC and if there’s issues he’s got a fall guy in place and could serve Mick up to be fired which would in buy him more time- he’s done that move before (example: look at how he told Steve Scarnecchia to tape the other team then served him up to be the fall guy) 2) he’s got a guy what will comply and not challenge him.  Lombardi wasn’t going to be brining anything new to the table.  3) he fills the coaching staff with coaches who will report to him any issues, unhappiness, etc from players- essentially he’s got a spy.  The coaches like Mick act like “a players coach” and create an environment where players feel safe to speak candidly but then Mick runs right to JMD like a snitch.

I agree with the oline coach nothing makes sense with that group minus kolt.

parham should be rg

bars and van rotten are trash I don’t care what pff says

shouldve kept the lg that we ditched that’s starting for balt 

moved our playoff starting rt to lt and he’s been injured ever since

elu is a guard tryna play rt 

mumford should be starting imo

but pff says they were top 10 last year lol

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Gruden literally came in and alienated our best player then immediately traded him

33 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Gruden literally came in and alienated our best player then immediately traded him

No exactly. He was already pissed because McKenzie paid gave Jackson(a 3rd round guard pick from the same draft as him) over him, despite the fact that he was the best player on the entire team. So he wouldn't pick up the phone. That would've happened to whoever was the GM next at the time. I love Mack(I've actually met him before btw) but trust me he alienated himself.