Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Completely agree. Assuming this is the plan, then Davis is forced into another package deal situation with the two of them. Which seemed to be exactly what he didn't want this time around. Meaning, if it fails, he's right back to hiring both GM and HC once again.

Do we trust that Kelly is not going to bend to AP's demands as that feels like the power dynamic that was forged with them in the interim status. 

I'd feel better hiring a GM with no organizational ties, give him AP if you must but allow the man roster control and ability to move on from AP if/when he chooses. 

This is all feeling very muddy in terms of accountability, etc. from the FO down with this group. 

This. 

I known it came forth from Zeigler and McDaniels getting kicked out, but from day one the whole Kelly-AP-Morgan "We takin over" thing felt very fraternal and coup-ish. 

I know it wasn't some internal coup- Zeigler and McDaniels were bad enough on their own. But the way the wagons so quickly circled like the 3 of them were in some long-term lock-step as a trio was.....it was odd. I won't go so far as to say they had some master plan to get McDaniels and Zeigler out of the picture, they just happened to benefit from their incompetence.

But it definitely felt very cliquesh in real time with the photo-ops and hooplah. I don't like that, because as you say, it gets really muddy, really quickly. Our GM should have a good working relationship with the HC, not be bros. 

Our team president shouldn't be taking post-game locker room photos with interim GMs and HCs like a celebration after the GM and HC get fired. 

Our HC should be independent of both, not broing out with them. 

Where, then, is the accountability? Would Kelly ever fire AP? Would AP do something contrary to Kelly if it was better for the team? Is Morgan willing to push to fire either? Isn't that scenario sort of what we just went through twice that was so damn problematic? 

It's one thing for these folk to have solid working relationships. Harbaugh and Dodds probably would as there is some familiarity. But they're not bros. Hell, even Mayock and Gruden weren't exactly bros, the dynamic was just too lopsided. Zeigler and McDaniels were bros and it was a convoluted mess. 

It's one thing to share a beer with a colleague at the company cookout. It's a whole different ball game when that colleague is your weekend drinking buddy. I'm getting way too many vibes of the latter from all this right now. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

The only ones talking about a get out clause are the ones who don't want AP (yet still say they are "fine with it" and continue to whine about it). If this was Harbaugh we hired and we didn't interview anyone else, nobody would blink. 

And get over the Frazier/Richard interviews, that was going through the motions of the Rooney rule. You should know that.

Of course I know that. That's why it's so uninspiring. Because after saying he won't lock in on a target again, Mark Davis has done precisely that.

15 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

There’s something in the air with yourself and @ronjon1990 in agreement a couple times now 😁😁

It's a valid point of concern that doesn't really have any room for debate. 

This isn't even a matter of who is best for or deserving of a particular job based on their merits. That much, apparently if reports are accurate, isn't even being taken into account. 

And that is a problem, no matter how one approaches it. The only thing clearer than it being a problem (and bigger problem waiting to happen) is NYRaider's inability to stay on a particular point for more than a single post. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Of course I know that. That's why it's so uninspiring. Because after saying he won't lock in on a target again, Mark Davis has done precisely that.

If it was Harbaugh he locked in on and hired, would it be a problem? 

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

Mark is horrible at hiring GM’s and HC’s and is the reason this organization has failed over the past 12+ years. Usually when I say this I get bunch of Raider fans defending Mark “he’s a great owner, vegas blah blah”. Vegas was a great move but like I said, the guy can’t hire a GM/HC to save his life and will keep failing over and over and over. He doesn’t have the mind for it like Al did. Al would hire the next young innovator who hasn’t been HC yet. I can almost assure you Al wouldn’t keep AP and would hire either Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik. 

Al Davis hired interim coach Tom Cable, so your logic isn't all the way there. 

Reggie McKenzie was a good GM hire. Had he stayed the course and not gotten swayed by Gruden, I think Reggie was on the right track. Might have needed to upgrade from JDR at some stage, but they were progressing. 

The constant turnover is the issue. 

1 minute ago, justwinbaby81 said:

If it was Harbaugh he locked in on and hired, would it be a problem? 

I'd have liked for us to interview an extensive list of candidates so that we'd have done our due diligence even if Harbaugh was the preference. Kind of like what the Chargers have done. Because you never really know with Jim Harbaugh.

Just because I wanted him as the coach, though, (I say "wanted" because it's clearly not happening) doesn't mean I wanted us to look at him and nobody else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm very interested to see the numbers AP and Kelly get. Of course they want security but I would be pretty surprised if AP was expensive relative to other HCs. He's so green to the role. If he truly does fail and we need to move on in 1-2 seasons, it's not like financials should be a reasoning to keep him like it was with Gruden and JMD.

My only silver lining is that they will be affordable which will allow Davis to allocate money to hiring better positional assistants that they will need to be successful.

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I'd have liked for us to interview an extensive list of candidates so that we'd have done our due diligence even if Harbaugh was the preference. Kind of like what the Chargers have done. Because you never really know with Jim Harbaugh.

Just because I wanted him as the coach, though, (I say "wanted" because it's clearly not happening) doesn't mean I wanted us to look at him and nobody else. 

Fair enough. I don't see the harm in interviewing more but going through added motions to arrive at the same conclusion isn't that big of a deal to me. For all we know AP would have been hired full-time during the season if we could have going into Indy, but the process doesn't allow it. You can call that Mark targeting his guy, I would call it a job earned and a collective decision by the team. But I do respect your point given the reality of the situation. It just doesn't bother me much, and the Frazier/Richard interviews are nothing-burgers from a broken rule (good intent, dumb practice... discussion for another day). AP has earned the job if/when he is given it. Interviewing Harbaugh when he wouldn't come here anyway wouldn't change my outlook for AP.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

The only ones talking about a get out clause are the ones who don't want AP (yet still say they are "fine with it" and continue to whine about it). If this was Harbaugh we hired and we didn't interview anyone else, nobody would blink. 

And get over the Frazier/Richard interviews, that was going through the motions of the Rooney rule. You should know that.

Because his resume speaks for itself.

We obviously know that and that is the problem. They interviewed 2 throw away candidates. And have interviewed none of the well qualified guys in this cycle. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Again, you're coping. 

Harbaugh has proven himself to be a professional team builder. He will inherit a talented, but underperforming team with a franchise QB. He will have them competing next year easily and build off it. He will hire the best assistant coaches and develop the team. I would be very concerned with Harbaugh in LA. 

Gruden was a proven hack in Tampa after Tony's guys left at building a team. And a proven hack here at the same. Harbaugh has a flawless track record of building winning teams. 

Not coping, just an opinion like your statement. There’s no guarantee that Harbaugh starts winning again. This league adapts and adjusts rapidly. I got serious doubts that Harbaugh is an overnight winner in LA or his next destination. Some of you act like he won a Super Bowl