Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Fair enough. I don't see the harm in interviewing more but going through added motions to arrive at the same conclusion isn't that big of a deal to me. For all we know AP would have been hired full-time during the season if we could have going into Indy, but the process doesn't allow it. You can call that Mark targeting his guy, I would call it a job earned and a collective decision by the team. But I do respect your point given the reality of the situation. It just doesn't bother me much, and the Frazier/Richard interviews are nothing-burgers from a broken rule (good intent, dumb practice... discussion for another day). AP has earned the job if/when he is given it. Interviewing Harbaugh when he wouldn't come here anyway wouldn't change my outlook for AP.

Exactly, if it wasn’t for the process, the Raiders would have removed the interim tag from AP. Like don’t see why is it such a big surprise.

You can’t justify moving on from the growth the team had. #1 defense in the NFL once AP took over

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Directly involved in interviewing 2 guys who are not serious candidates. Awesome.

This whole process is a joke.

Bum *** Chump Kelly putting in that serious work, tho. 

I'm telling you, those guys that broke in under Xanders and McDaniels are all the same nepo babies. That's the Way. It's a mentality. 

Unserious people doing unserious work. How the hell is an interim GM interviewing coaching candidates not a flagrant conflict of interest? 

At this point, I wish the league would start handing out fines for this sort of nonsense. Hell, if I were interviewed by Kelly and walked out knowing damn well why I wasn't getting the job over AP, I'd sue like crazy for collusion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Because his resume speaks for itself.

We obviously know that and that is the problem. They interviewed 2 throw away candidates. And have interviewed none of the well qualified guys in this cycle. 

Resume trumps interviews to me for sure. That's why I don't really care that more aren't interviewed. 

Demonstrating you can do the job in the actual setting with the resources trumps a resume or an interview. That's why I'm good with AP, and I imagine that's why AP gets the job. 

1 minute ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Resume trumps interviews to me for sure. That's why I don't really care that more aren't interviewed. 

Demonstrating you can do the job in the actual setting with the resources trumps a resume or an interview. That's why I'm good with AP, and I imagine that's why AP gets the job. 

Demonstrating you can coach emotionally and get buy is fine. Building out a staff to develop players and construct a roster is another animal. Those are the questions I want answered. 

If AP turns around and hires Bo Hardegree and keeps JMDs guys around, might as well start looking at resumes for 2025. 

I imagine several candidates (if they bothered to interview them) would have better plans than AP if we're being honest.

I think Harbough has been waiting for the Raiders. He's interview with 4 NFL teams now over two periods and has only interviewed during the years we have an opening. And now indicators look like he may be going back to Michigan, again, after we look to be set on another HC. 

Sad, as he was my #1 option who I think can build the best team. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

How the hell is an interim GM interviewing coaching candidates not a flagrant conflict of interest? 

Because Kelly is still under contract he signed when JMD/Ziegler deal to be asst GM. As the interim GM, your duty is to still hold interviews until not to

If anything, It is extra evaluation for Mark Davis and Raiders Execs to see how Champ Kelly interviews coaches. That should be part of the interview process for Champ

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 4

Just now, bucksavage1 said:

Because Kelly is still under contract he signed when JMD/Ziegler deal to be and asst GM. As the interim GM, your duty is to still hold interviews until not to

If anything, It is extra evaluation for Mark Davis and Raiders Execs to see how Champ Kelly interviews coaches. That should be part of the interview process for Champ

This is actually a good point

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Al Davis hired interim coach Tom Cable, so your logic isn't all the way there. 

Reggie McKenzie was a good GM hire. Had he stayed the course and not gotten swayed by Gruden, I think Reggie was on the right track. Might have needed to upgrade from JDR at some stage, but they were progressing. 

The constant turnover is the issue. 

Al Davis had one foot in the grave around this time and was firing HCs with overhead projectors.

You really can't use that version of Al Davis.  He was a competent owner/GM up until Jon Gruden's playoff run with the Raiders.  After that it was clearly all downhill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Because Kelly is still under contract he signed when JMD/Ziegler deal to be asst GM. As the interim GM, your duty is to still hold interviews until not to

Buck Savage with the clutch reasoning right here.  

I was going to chime in that I'm sure Mark Davis is a part of these interviews as well (at least I freaking hope so).  I couldn't imagine Champ Kelly holding these interviews by himself.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Demonstrating you can coach emotionally and get buy is fine. Building out a staff to develop players and construct a roster is another animal. Those are the questions I want answered. 

If AP turns around and hires Bo Hardegree and keeps JMDs guys around, might as well start looking at resumes for 2025. 

I imagine several candidates (if they bothered to interview them) would have better plans than AP if we're being honest.

I know, we have this conversation around here near daily. Everyone wants to see how the coaching staff and roster development rounds out. Whether AP is your 1st, 2nd, or 10th choice. I agree about OC, but disagree on DC if you consider Graham a JMD guy. PG should be staying assuming he doesn't get a HC spot (I don't think he will this round). On offense, i don't hate Bo as much as most around here, but yea--retaining him would be uninspiring.

Don't forget that Champ himself is highly sought after around the league. The GM job is more important and where a thorough search was done (Dodds, Peters, etc). It's logical that if Kelly is the winner of that search then there's little point in delaying his HC hire (AP we assume) by interviewing other guys just to satisfy posters on a forum. It's also those GM interviews where the other candidates put out their vision/takes on the other HC candidates. 

AP received interviews from TEN and ATL and by all accounts they weren't just to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Even if he wants the Raiders job he isn't going to stand pat if another team is buying high on him, especially with other openings probably coming (PHIL, DAL). This could be a long cycle with lots of twists; if you believe you can hire the right people now you do it. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Which would make sense....except for the fact that the interviews are clearly being bs'd to the nth degree. 

We have a guy, who doesn't have the job, who has only interviewed for the job, conducting interviews on guys who won't get a job, because he's going to give the job to a guy who doesn't have the job and hasn't actually interviewed for the job with anyone that actually has a job. 

Literally a damn near textbook case of collusion at worst, and abhorrent dysfunction at best. 

• Like 3