Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

Recency bias is unreal in this coaching situation. Majority of Raider fans are behind AP to the ridiculous. All the twitter personalities, etc. hyping it up.

If/when he's hired, it will be interesting to see how quickly things turn if they start losing games. 

I've never seen a fan base enamored with a coach who's unproven and resume is can fit on a post it note. It's truly wild. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Recency bias is unreal in this coaching situation. Majority of Raider fans are behind AP to the ridiculous. All the twitter personalities, etc. hyping it up.

If/when he's hired, it will be interesting to see how quickly things turn if they start losing games. 

I've never seen a fan base enamored with a coach who's unproven and resume is can fit on a post it note. It's truly wild. 

I'm down to try with AP. But IMO I would turn on him within a year. He's not my first choice and he's only getting hired because he's winning. So he gets no leash. He has no resume to back him up or inspire me to be patient. 

He definitely earned a chance to try, and the players back him like crazy so I like the continuity. But he hasn't earned a 4 year window. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Mcdaniels had a losing record when we hired him & many fans backed him because he was "highly sought after." This isn't worse than that 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 4

We are all over the place with Vrabel here. Pretty wild. Some of the excuses for Vrabel's recent failures better apply to AP if the time comes (they won't). But he's a good coach I don't know how anyone can argue against that. Boils down to QB yet again, who knows how much say he had in their drafts and keeping Tannehill around. He did what he could with Mariota before that too.

Trading Brown looks negative but he got a huge contract and seems like a real headache. 

He wouldn't be the worst hire, but it seems pointless to me. It would be a Bellicheck esque hire, but for different reasons. I don't think he's better for this team than what AP brings right now.

Champ Kelly better be the real deal, or whoever is our GM. Because if you give a good coach nothing to work with at QB then you see what can happen. We need to nail down QB, and that's tough to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

It was an old and capped roster. And bad contracts everywhere. It being an old roster is probably one of the reason you saw 23 dudes go on IR. Just a difference of opinion here. I think Vrabel is a good HC with a capped ceiling. I want a HC with an unlimited ceiling. Jim, Ben, Bobby… someone’s ceiling who has no cap. Doesn’t matter if they have been HC before or not, I want the potential. 

See, you keep saying it was Vrabel's fault....then you continually drone on about things that were entirely out of Vrabel's power to control. 

You're probably just pissed he didn't start your 1st round midget Willis.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

A lot of it comes down to because he is what we hope and perceive a Raiders fan to be. How he acts, how he speaks, the car he drives, the clothes he wears.

And don’t get me wrong, Pierce did walk the walk to a certain extent. He’s not just all talk. He’s proven to be a very good leader, the type of which we’ve been lacking. He’s got his flaws, but as a rookie HC he did a fine job and you’d hope he can build on that.

But the support he’s got over, for example Mike Vrabel who has done a fine coaching job for years, is probably something you wouldn’t get outside this franchise or more importantly “the image” of this franchise.

It looks like it’s going to happen, and let’s see what happens, but I just have a nagging feeling we’ll be back here in either 1 or 2 years time wondering why we didn’t complete a more authentic hiring process.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Mcdaniels had a losing record when we hired him & many fans backed him because he was highly sought after.

I think the majority didn't like the JMD hire or wanted someone else. Most, including myself wanted Harbaugh and Dodds. 

This is different. You got a fan base pounding the table for AP, who has proven nothing over big name guys (Harbaugh, Vrabel) and young guys who look extremely promising (Johnson). 

If hired, it's win or hit the bricks. I don't want to see 3 or 4  years lost training a coach so to speak when there are guys right now that can do this job to the fullest.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

We are all over the place with Vrabel here. Pretty wild. Some of the excuses for Vrabel's recent failures better apply to AP if the time comes (they won't). But he's a good coach I don't know how anyone can argue against that. Boils down to QB yet again, who knows how much say he had in their drafts and keeping Tannehill around. He did what he could with Mariota before that too.

Trading Brown looks negative but he got a huge contract and seems like a real headache. 

He wouldn't be the worst hire, but it seems pointless to me. It would be a Bellicheck esque hire, but for different reasons. I don't think he's better for this team than what AP brings right now.

Champ Kelly better be the real deal, or whoever is our GM. Because if you give a good coach nothing to work with at QB then you see what can happen. We need to nail down QB, and that's tough to do.

When AP makes the playoffs 4 years in a row, the he can garner excuses for 2 down years. His honeymoon period is over. You don't given an unproven guy with no resume much leash. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You keep saying this everyday and then you end up saying you'd be fine with AP hire. Which is it? If you want proven head coach it's Vrabel, BB, Harbaugh, or Carroll. Anyone else is even less proven as a HC. So is Vrabel your first choice now or what? You don't want DC and you don't want motivators so why would it be Vrabel...so who do you want that is offensive-minded, proven as a HC with a resume? And don't even bother with Harbaugh becomes everyone wants him and nobody is getting him. Bill Walsh ain't coming back from the dead.

It's not wild why people want AP, it should be fairly obvious he's a fit for the team. For as incredible as this coaching pool is supposed to be, there's only a few proven commodities who aren't what they used to be and a bunch of lottery ticket OCs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

When AP makes the playoffs 4 years in a row, the he can garner excuses for 2 down years. His honeymoon period is over. You don't given an unproven guy with no resume much leash. 

And yet here Vrabel is, available as a HC. I'm not making excuses for Vrabel just like I wouldn't for AP, that's what others are doing. But if you do/don't want AP and the GM doesn't perform for him, we will be living the same thing as Vrabel whether AP was good or not. I'm way more concerned at GM than AP at coach. Our situation is very similar to Titans now. Nowhere at QB. AOC might as well be Will Levis

Edited by justwinbaby81

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

A lot of it comes down to because he is what we hope and perceive a Raiders fan to be. How he acts, how he speaks, the car he drives, the clothes he wears.

And don’t get me wrong, Pierce did walk the walk to a certain extent. He’s not just all talk. He’s proven to be a very good leader, the type of which we’ve been lacking. He’s got his flaws, but as a rookie HC he did a fine job and you’d hope he can build on that.

But the support he’s got over, for example Mike Vrabel who has done a fine coaching job for years, is probably something you wouldn’t get outside this franchise or more importantly “the image” of this franchise.

It looks like it’s going to happen, and let’s see what happens, but I just have a nagging feeling we’ll be back here in either 1 or 2 years time wondering why we didn’t complete a more authentic hiring process.

I mean, that truly is it. He's relatable to fans who feel like he's one of us. 

Makes you wonder. Say the results are all the same, but the interim head coach was milquetoast Bo Hardegree from JMDs side of things. Would the fever pitch be so intense? Answer, no. 

And I agree, I think he gets the job and we're back here discussing who's next in the next couple cycles. 

By the way, not to take anything away from Vrabel, but that's been arguably the worst division over the past 6 years while ours has been arguably top 2-3. Making playoffs 4 times in 6 years isn't exactly the same for Tennessee. 

Edited by justwinbaby81
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

You keep saying this everyday and then you end up saying you'd be fine with AP hire. Which is it? If you want proven head coach it's Vrabel, BB, Harbaugh, or Carroll. Anyone else is even less proven as a HC. So is Vrabel your first choice now or what? You don't want DC and you don't want motivators so why would it be Vrabel...so who do you want that is offensive-minded, proven as a HC with a resume? And don't even bother with Harbaugh becomes everyone wants him and nobody is getting him. Bill Walsh ain't coming back from the dead.

It's not wild why people want AP, it should be fairly obvious he's a fit for the team. For as incredible as this coaching pool is supposed to be, there's only a few proven commodities who aren't what they used to be and a bunch of lottery ticket OCs.

I'm not a Vrabel guy, just find the disrespect for him astonishing. Would I take him over AP, yes in the blink of an eye. Because I know what I am getting. 

I'm an offensive guy. Pair me a good you offensive coach and staff with a rookie QB and let them grow together. 

4 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

And yet here Vrabel is, available as a HC. I'm not making excuses for Vrabel just like I wouldn't for AP, that's what others are doing. But if you do/don't want AP and the GM doesn't perform for him, we will be living the same thing as Vrabel whether AP was good or not. I'm way more concerned at GM than AP at coach. Our situation is very similar to Titans now. Nowhere at QB. AOC might as well be Will Levis

You left out the part where nearly everyone agrees Tennessee was wrong to cut ties with him and he's seen universally around the league as a top 10 coach. Like him or not. He will go to one of the marquee franchises and win a lot of football games.

8 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

By the way, not to take anything away from Vrabel, but that's been arguably the worst division over the past 6 years while ours has been arguably top 2-3. Making playoffs 4 times in 6 years isn't exactly the same for Tennessee. 

He's 3-2 against KC since Mahomes became QB. Took them to OT this past season with Malik Willis starting. 

And the AFC West has been trash outside the Chiefs. 

• Like 1