Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You're all in on AP, but hiring the proven version of that style coach would be uninspiring? 

I'm not evena. Vrabel guy, but some of the disrespect for the guy is absurd.

There’s a reason why the Titans fired him. Why take on  HC who had consecutive losing seasons? He’s about as mid of a coach you can get 

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I mean, that truly is it. He's relatable to fans who feel like he's one of us. 

Makes you wonder. Say the results are all the same, but the interim head coach was milquetoast Bo Hardegree from JMDs side of things. Would the fever pitch be so intense? Answer, no. 

And I agree, I think he gets the job and we're back here discussing who's next in the next couple cycles. 

You guys continue to reach. That makes him very likeable for fans but that's not why he should be hired. But ironically, you two calling out people for being emotional about AP is an emotional reaction itself. It's based on the success he has shown on the field and in the locker room. Case in point: everyone loves Renfrow, none of us really care if he's here next year.

If Bo turned the offense to the #1 offense over the interim stint more would be on board. Including you. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think the majority didn't like the JMD hire or wanted someone else. Most, including myself wanted Harbaugh and Dodds. 

This is different. You got a fan base pounding the table for AP, who has proven nothing over big name guys (Harbaugh, Vrabel) and young guys who look extremely promising (Johnson). 

If hired, it's win or hit the bricks. I don't want to see 3 or 4  years lost training a coach so to speak when there are guys right now that can do this job to the fullest.  

ALOT of people did like Mcdaniels. Let's not try to sweep that under the rug now. It was even said minor improvements in the win/loss column, and they were more competitive, it would be a success(even if they weren't a playoff team) because it would take time for McDaniels to implement his vision and doing those things would be a step in the right direction to building a winning culture. Therefore, when he gets fired, and someone else does it, to say that guy should be moved on from his inconsistent.

In terms of AP I mentioned this yesterday in depth when responding to Frankie but it's less of that and more that the players appear to be confident in the fact that if they simply run it back with an offseason to build on what they already had. 

Harbaugh could be better(would theoretically be my first choice) but

1. we don't even know if he actually wants to play here

2. he may want to do the GM control thing which simply doesn't work. 
3. IF Max leaves, it's going to be a rebuild regardless of what anyone says or tries to argue

When it comes to Vrabel, he's obviously a really good coach(and if you're trying to argue that he's not then you don't watch football). sure there are some criticisms I had about some things that happened early in his head coaching career with the Titans but overall he was rock solid. He was on a team where the GM took away players every year he did something good and was eventually fired for it. With that being said, I don't think he would be the best option for THIS team. I think Mike Vrabel hiring a coach would be hiring a different coach just to do it. AP(at least) as of now shows that he is the better option for THIS team than Vrabel simply based off the fact that there could  be a potential rebuild. 

I think if the players all believe that was a few more pieces they can be a real contender. You have to give them a shot to prove that with the guy they want. Then, if it doesn't work out, you can rebuild definitively. Instead of guessing that you need to rebuild because there's no way you'll win with the previous coach that you went to the playoffs with and then it backfires in your face. Overall, it just feels like hiring another coach(even Harbaugh to some extent) is trying outsmarting yourself.

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

I still think an offense coach should be the answer. The longest tenured OC in the NFL is Brian Callahan since 2019. If we do strike gold with an OC, odds are he’d go on to be a head coach. Just seems like that’s the way the league is now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

There’s a reason why the Titans fired him. Why take on  HC who had consecutive losing seasons? He’s about as mid of a coach you can get 

To be fair, though stupid firings happen all the time. 

6 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

K. Now how about the AFC South teams? How are you even debating this lol

Texans , Colts and Jaguars have took turns being the bottom barrel of the NFL. Perennial top 10 draft choices. None have had franchise QBs outside of Luck and recently Stroud.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Recency bias is unreal in this coaching situation. Majority of Raider fans are behind AP to the ridiculous. All the twitter personalities, etc. hyping it up.

If/when he's hired, it will be interesting to see how quickly things turn if they start losing games. 

I've never seen a fan base enamored with a coach who's unproven and resume is can fit on a post it note. It's truly wild. 

I'd be good with AP. HOWEVER...I think there are much better choices with Harbs, Bill OG B, Pete C, as the retreads and Ben Johnson, Slowik all seem like hot 1st timers. Lots talk about Frank Smith but AP has the edge over him because of recent interm HC experience. Loyalty and team chemistry are the reasons to go with AP. Chemistry is there and loyalty has been missing since trading Mack and dissing Carr. Like him or not we handled that WRONG! The retreads probably all want overall roster control because of their past success. I want a GM so if the first HC hire doesn't work they have a chance to hire a 2nd before they are fired too. A GM should have a vision and the coaches hired should fit that vision. Harbs has been my choice each time so I expect we won't get him again and I'm done with that. Bill has proven to build a dynasty. Not a team but an EMPIRE. Can he do it again, probably not but I can see why an owner would hire him #1. Pete did great and has always been good. Gets good staff and would be a good coach that can win and rebuild. With those 3 I probably wouldn't touch the 1st time HC OC's that haven't proven to run more than an offense. I'd take the vets and hope they attract the next hot OC's. That's the question with AP. Who could he attract?!? I think young unproven risk taking that could pay off but with so many HC possibilities this cycle AP is hard to accept unless the GM hired is willing to make him the HC knowing if he's not the guy you get 1 more chance. AP has us going in the right direction and maybe he puts it all together and we got lucky to have had him in place already. However that is a LOT of ifs and questions. Just give me Harbs and let Vegas make him the face of the franchise on ads/billboards/etc...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think the majority didn't like the JMD hire or wanted someone else. Most, including myself wanted Harbaugh and Dodds. 

This is different. You got a fan base pounding the table for AP, who has proven nothing over big name guys (Harbaugh, Vrabel) and young guys who look extremely promising (Johnson). 

If hired, it's win or hit the bricks. I don't want to see 3 or 4  years lost training a coach so to speak when there are guys right now that can do this job to the fullest.  

You been out on AP before his 1st game and continuing to brush aside his accomplishments throughout the 9 games. So this isn’t surprising to hear. 

AP showed promise during his 9 games to turn around this team that was headed towards another costly rebuild.

Ironically, If McDaniels finished the year with the same results AP, you would be excited going into next season

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

To be fair, though stupid firings happen all the time. 

They do. But the Titans were mediocre to above average team under Vrabel. Just good enough to be middle of the pack they won a few playoff games and that’s it. I believe the NFL has start to figure him out

52 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think if the players all believe that was a few more pieces they can be a real contender. You have to give them a shot to prove that with the guy they want. Then, if it doesn't work out, you can rebuild definitively. Instead of guessing that you need to rebuild because there's no way you'll win with the previous coach that you went to the playoffs with and then it backfires in your face. Overall, it just feels like hiring another coach(even Harbaugh to some extent) is trying outsmarting yourself.

This...If it doesn't work out then rebuild. It's why I like McCarthy as he's young and AP will probably get a vet to compete with AOC. Who knows maybe it's Jimmy DAWG G and a West coast Offense that works for him. lol All I know is get the right GM first and if they roll with AP and a short leash then let AP prove himself and if not hire the next hot OC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Okay, so say he is mid.... what is AP then?

Never mind the fact he's universally seen as a top 10 coach in the league. 

Hate you guys are making me defend Vrabel. But you can't say he's mid and want AP at the same time who is a lesser version of the same style. 

34 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

You been out on AP before his 1st game and continuing to brush aside his accomplishments throughout the 9 games. So this isn’t surprising to hear. 

AP showed promise during his 9 games to turn around this team that was headed towards another costly rebuild.

Ironically, If McDaniels finished the year with the same results AP, you would be excited going into next season

I've given respect where it is due. Getting buy in, cleaning up penalties and improving the culture post JMD.

I didn't like the game management and decision making. Playing overly conservative in stretches to the detriment of the team. I can't shake the Minnesota loss off a bye when they look completely unprepared and uninspired. 

One thing to play all out against KC and get a win. But then look completely deflated and stuck against the Colts. 

To me, they beat some bad teams with terrible QBs. They played an inspired game against KC and won. Then played some lackluster games with no emotion. The emotion was not consistent. 

I prefer an offensive coach, for reasons I previously laid out. But that's to each their own. If I am rolling the dice no an unproven coach, I'd like Johnson or Slowik over AP personally but respect some don't see it that way. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

They do. But the Titans were mediocre to above average team under Vrabel. Just good enough to be middle of the pack they won a few playoff games and that’s it. I believe the NFL has start to figure him out

You realize how hard that is in the NFL right? Especially with a mid QB like Tannehill. 

How did the NFL figure him out? What a meaningless statement. He's a CEO coach. They figured out that if you get his GM too trade their best player, his offense isn't as good. What a revelation! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How did the NFL figure him out? What a meaningless statement. He's a CEO coach. They figured out that if you get his GM to trade their best player, his offense isn't as good. What a revelation! 

Very hard to win the NFL so that’s how impressive the job AP did with us.

Consecutive losing seasons is a lot of evidence that the NFL is starting to figure a coach out. If we hire him , it will be like Frank Reich situation. A retread  route is risky as an unknown. He didn’t get along with his previous GM Robinson and new GM Carthon.