Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I didn't want to give him 3 years. I argued coaches should get 3 years to put their plan together.  

I argued to give it time after year 1 because I didn't buy the roster as a playoff team like many thought. Was out soon as it was apparent their plan (revolving around Jimmy G) was a failure and the team was rudderless. 

Jmd was like a slow painful torture filled death i can only imagine if he got a 3rd year

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

You realize how hard that is in the NFL right? Especially with a mid QB like Tannehill. 

How did the NFL figure him out? What a meaningless statement. He's a CEO coach. They figured out that if you get his GM too trade their best player, his offense isn't as good. What a revelation! 

Too many people overlook this. 

Making the playoffs is hard. Winning in them is harder. We've been spoiled watching the Patriots and Chiefs too long. 

Miami hasn't won a playoff game in ages, yet nobody is ballsy enough to say McDaniel is mid at best. 

The Cowboys? 

Sean Payton became a 1 and done king in the playoffs. 

The Ravens, more often than not. 

The Steelers. 

Aaron Rodgers' post season record is what? 

Vrabel owns post season wins over Belichick and John Harbaugh, with losses to Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Zac Taylor. 

2 of his losses came against teams that made the Superbowl, one of whom won it. And none were bad performances. 

There's reasons to criticize Vrabel, but when it comes to game time, he's shown that he can coach with and hang with the best of them to a respectable degree. For the folks who want to be pedantic and nitpick this or that decision, let's discuss Sirianni leaving Hurts in when it was clear he wasn't effective, McDaniel all but abandoning the run and getting shown up, McCarthy getting embarrassed, McVay botching points and timeouts. Anyone wanna call them mid HCs? If they're mid, AP is straight up used toilet paper- and I've been very vocal in defending him. 

The Vrabel hate is weird. Not so much that some people like him and some don't, rather it's who seems to dislike him the most- and it's a lot of people who seem to love AP. I don't get it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Vrabel hate is weird. Not so much that some people like him and some don't, rather it's who seems to dislike him the most- and it's a lot of people who seem to love AP. I don't get it. 

My pet peeve with this fan base right now. Some can't like AP without hating the other guys. Borderline cult-like infatuation. The thinking is so black and white with people. I blame Crosby.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NickButera said:

This right here. 

The facts are:

• We had a very high ranked o-line (don't ask me how, I'm still trying to figure that out), but there's a lot of good there.
  • We have a decent WR corps and TE
  • AP and Graham had the #1 ranked defense over 9 games. That's not a fluke
  • We're probably a QB away from being a team good enough to win a playoff game, or 2 dependent on the QB. 

I'm an enthusiast of rolling with the known quantity rather than risk throwing away the baby with the bathwater if we try rolling with a new coach (that's not a without-a-doubt proven winner)

Get rid of Elumenour, we're set. 

WRs and TEs  will need some work though. Renfrow is probably gone and if not, really needs to rebound. Adams is getting old. Beyond Meyers and Tucker, it's warm bodies. TE is fine, assuming we keep the group intact. 

We sure it's not a fluke? I won't go so far as to say I guarantee a return to the bottom 5 gutter, but the fact is we played a lot of beat up, broken down teams with backup QBs who don't belong in the NFL. Anyone who thinks we're going to field a top 10 D next year is setting themselves up for disappointment. We're middle of the road at best on D, and that's going to be a tough order with our offensive identity a complete unknown. 

Indeed, we're a good QB away from cracking the playoffs. But for how long? Getting 1 or 2 playoff games before contracts and retirements and other factors gut us isn't doing much good. This is TBD, but our current roster composition isn't great for the long haul at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

ALOT of people did like Mcdaniels. Let's not try to sweep that under the rug now.

I supported McDaniels and was optimistic going into the year that we could make an improvement. Where many posters on here thought we would be the near the worst team in the NFL . We were both right to a certain extent but both wrong too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Okay, so say he is mid.... what is AP then?

Never mind the fact he's universally seen as a top 10 coach in the league. 

Hate you guys are making me defend Vrabel. But you can't say he's mid and want AP at the same time who is a lesser version of the same style. 

I’d say that Vrabel is a good coach but a known quantity. You know what you’re getting with him and it’ll be solid. I guess superficially, AP and Vrabel are similar but with AP in my mind he’s still pretty much an unknown so maybe people are viewing his ceiling as higher?

At minimum he appears to be a good leader and motivator, we’ve yet to really see him put his stamp on style or Xs and Os. What will he do with a blank slate to work with? What offensive scheme will he run?

I think that is part of the allure, at this point in history his ceiling is unknown whereas Vrabel is a known commodity albeit a very solid one. Also, we gave the Raiders slant on AP and the Pats tint to Vrabel that he’ll carry with him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I supported McDaniels and was optimistic going into the year that we could make an improvement. Where many posters on here thought we would be the near the worst team in the NFL . We were both right to a certain extent but both wrong too

if mcdaniels never got fired we wouldve gone 5-12 & people would've said give him one more year.

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

Lord if I have to hear he changed the culture one more time…

When the culture is North Korea, you don’t have to do much to change it in a positive way. 

Here’s what annoys me: they couldn’t score a point against Minn off a bye and they didn’t throw a pass against KC after the first quarter. That is a massive indictment against them. Sure they had the #1 defense but they couldn’t even score, that’s embarrassing when you have a good oline, good to great WRs, and an above average RB who fans want to bring back! “Oh but they had a rookie QB and OC” that’s not a valid excuse to me when you have that much talent on that side of the ball. The HEAD coach is responsible for all of the team not just the defense. And do you guys really expect this defense to keep momentum next year? Do you really expect Reid and Mahomes to spot this team two TDs?

The defense has been great but this team is completely unbalanced and they’ll be circling 9-8 8-7 for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

if mcdaniels never got fired we wouldve gone 5-12 & people would've said give him one more year.

Honestly if he didn’t get fired until now it would’ve been relieving because then we’d probably do an actual coaching search. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

When the culture is North Korea, you don’t have to do much to change it in a positive way. 

Here’s what annoys me: they couldn’t score a point against Minn off a bye and they didn’t throw a pass against KC after the first quarter. That is a massive indictment against them. Sure they had the #1 defense but they couldn’t even score, that’s embarrassing when you have a good oline, good to great WRs, and an above average RB who fans want to bring back! “Oh but they had a rookie QB and OC” that’s not a valid excuse to me when you have that much talent on that side of the ball. The HEAD coach is responsible for all of the team not just the defense. And do you guys really expect this defense to keep momentum next year? Do you really expect Reid and Mahomes to spot this team two TDs?

The defense has been great but this team is completely unbalanced and they’ll be circling 9-8 8-7 for the foreseeable future. 

The problem with this take is it negates the reality that he took care of his side of the ball which is defense. In terms of offense you cant really evaluate because he didn't have a guy that he actually believed in and handpicked himself. 

3 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Honestly if he didn’t get fired until now it would’ve been relieving because then we’d probably do an actual coaching search. 

I can actually understand this take. But the reality is that he was fired mid season and the interim coach who replaced him performed admirably. The reality is also that there was an interim coach who years ago who was ignored despite performing admirably in a messed up situation for someone who was highly sought-after candidate based on what he had done as a coordinator and it didn't work out to say the least. Anyone can pretend that these factors don't matter but again reality is that they do. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

We played absolute bottom feeder QBs almost every week too. Without a revamped offensive staff and a major upgrade at QB I think we're a 5-7 win team next year.

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I can’t imagine anyone would still have supported him if he had a whole season and went 5-12.

I for one wanted to see him in post long enough to enact a vision, see the plan, know where this thing’s going but it became abundantly clear after the Chicago and Detroit shambles that enough was enough. I dont think anyone here would have been in favour of bringing him back at all in that scenario.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

My pet peeve with this fan base right now. Some can't like AP without hating the other guys. Borderline cult-like infatuation. The thinking is so black and white with people. I blame Crosby.

All you have to do is have decent to okay success, scream Raiders, say you're a Raider 4 Life, and/or quote Al Davis and you will have a cult like following amongst our fan base.

58 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Some valid points there, but I do think the 4th round rookie QB, in fact the worst QB room in the NFL when combined with a rookie OC and signal caller is reason enough to give leeway.

I also think it’s up to us to improve the D. If, for example we add a legit CB1 like Jaylon Johnson and draft a high calibre rookie DT then we could very conceivably be better on that side of the ball. So momentum wise, I don’t think it’s an issue as we should be able to improve talent.

Im not naive to the point where I think we’ll be an offensive juggernaut but we barely had passable QB play, with even decent QB play were easily a playoff team.

• Like 1