Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I’d say that Vrabel is a good coach but a known quantity. You know what you’re getting with him and it’ll be solid. I guess superficially, AP and Vrabel are similar but with AP in my mind he’s still pretty much an unknown so maybe people are viewing his ceiling as higher?

At minimum he appears to be a good leader and motivator, we’ve yet to really see him put his stamp on style or Xs and Os. What will he do with a blank slate to work with? What offensive scheme will he run?

I think that is part of the allure, at this point in history his ceiling is unknown whereas Vrabel is a known commodity albeit a very solid one. Also, we gave the Raiders slant on AP and the Pats tint to Vrabel that he’ll carry with him.

That is the biggest question mark for me. Especially from a long term stand point.  AP was impressive this year and I think everyone was pleased with the way he had the team performing.

However, he is a complete unknown when it comes to scheme or as you say Xs and Os.  He was just working with what was already in place.  He's so new and "raw" that he doesn't have a scheme that's his.  What kind of defense does he want to run?  What kind of offense and/or OC does he want?  Does he even know? Does he just try to stick with similar things that we are already doing, same coaches or new ones?

Those are the big questions that I'd have for him.  You really don't know what you're getting from him in that regard.  His leadership and motivation seem to be great, but that's only part of the puzzle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I didn't want to give him 3 years. I argued coaches should get 3 years to put their plan together.  

I argued to give it time after year 1 because I didn't buy the roster as a playoff team like many thought. Was out soon as it was apparent their plan (revolving around Jimmy G) was a failure and the team was rudderless. 

So why wouldn’t AP get 3 years?

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

For me it’s what he did for the culture of the organization. Getting back to basics, doing it the Raider Way as opposed to being someone else. Im intrigued on what he can do with a full off-season and with his guys. I think going toe to toe with KC is a huge plus. Defense was much better, whether he unleashed players or coaches we can’t deny there was overall improvement when he took over. 

End of day, it comes down to if he can build an offensive staff and if he can formulate a plan for the future we can believe in. As a fan it was much more fun rooting for the Raiders with a leader like AP than a geek like JMD who had no personality and hasn’t proven he can build something in his image. We are the Raiders, trying to be something we are not was not fun in the least. I love how AP embraced the culture and I believe the e players did too. I love the brand of football we were playing at the end of the season, a decent QB and I believe we would’ve snuck into the playoffs. 

I don’t remember Vrabel having an extensive resume when he took over for the Titans either, got to start somewhere. 

Nice post.

As much as there are too many people blindly supporting AP purely for the ‘mystique’ and him personifying the raider way, I personally do find it important to actually like the team you support.

I say this with the experience of many previous iterations of the raiders and my other favourite sports team - Man Utd. There have been so many teams where I have genuinely hated the coaches, ownership and a lot of the players. And it’s made it really difficult to get behind the team. That was certainly the case with McD and with Gruden.

If it ends up being AP as looks likely, his team will be easy to root for - just like it has been since he took over. And I know it’s not particularly sophisticated, but that’s important to me.

That’s not to say that I am happy about the process and I do share feelings expressed by others that MD has been somewhat negligent in not interviewing other candidates - even if it ended up with the same outcome. Just seems like a missed opportunity to at least speak to other coaches and listen to their vision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Some valid points there, but I do think the 4th round rookie QB, in fact the worst QB room in the NFL when combined with a rookie OC and signal caller is reason enough to give leeway.

I also think it’s up to us to improve the D. If, for example we add a legit CB1 like Jaylon Johnson and draft a high calibre rookie DT then we could very conceivably be better on that side of the ball. So momentum wise, I don’t think it’s an issue as we should be able to improve talent.

Im not naive to the point where I think we’ll be an offensive juggernaut but we barely had passable QB play, with even decent QB play were easily a playoff team.

There is certainly a path forward but I think they need to go with a strong push to make the offense better. I’d rather they drop from #1 defense to 10-15 if the offense was in that range as well. Ultimately I want an offense that can score when they need it and a defense that can get a stop when it’s needed. They don’t have to be dominant. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Geezy said:

I think the majority would take Harbaugh and Johnson in a heartbeat. Have they interviewed? 

A lot of this subforum doesn’t seem to care about Ben Johnson and call him “unproven” which is an absolute terrible argument. Having an eye for an innovator and getting him before other teams do is a huge advantage play. 

• Like 1

At this point it's just getting annoying. All the local guys expect AP and Champ to be hired any day. Then what are we waiting for?

The OC market is heating up and that is the more important hire. 

Milking this thing just to hire AP/Champ is obnoxious. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tank4Drake said:

A lot of this subforum doesn’t seem to care about Ben Johnson and call him “unproven” which is an absolute terrible argument. Having an eye for an innovator and getting him before other teams do is a huge advantage play. 

I think a lot of people are either wary of him being another McDaniels (ridiculous) or are lost in the sauce when it comes to AP. It seems like a lot of the AP supporters have taken an irrational hardline stance that it has to be him or else the candidate is going to be bad. I won’t be upset with an AP hire, but the hardline stance some folks are taking is a little mind blowing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

You call him the next McVay is also a dumb argument. 

He will have his choice of job. He's under contract and can't interview. Which he should absolutely be looked at here if he has any interest. 

1 minute ago, FloydFan said:

I think a lot of people are either wary of him being another McDaniels (ridiculous) or are lost in the sauce when it comes to AP. It seems like a lot of the AP supporters have taken an irrational hardline stance that it has to be him or else the candidate is going to be bad. I won’t be upset with an AP hire, but the hardline stance some folks are taking is a little mind blowing. 

Nothing was innovative about McDaniels scheme imo. Just a super-complex scheme that hasn’t aged well. There is nothing revolutionary that makes you go “wow that’s so innovative!” like Ben Johnson, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Kevin O Connell, Sean Steichen, etc. It’s a slow-drive scheme with over-complicated routes. 

I was not impressed with the McDaniels hiring at all. But as fans we cope. Within days I can get myself pumped up *shrug*. 

Just now, Tank4Drake said:

Nothing was innovative about McDaniels scheme imo. Just a super-complex scheme that hasn’t aged well. There is nothing revolutionary that makes you go “wow that’s so innovative!” like Ben Johnson, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Kevin O Connell, Sean Steichen, etc. It’s a slow-drive scheme with over-complicated routes. 

I was not impressed with the McDaniels hiring at all. But as fans we cope. Within days I can get myself pumped up *shrug*. 

I do not like the comparison either but unfortunately it’s just the way some folks look at it.