Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, Jerry said:

TBH with you, I'm in the boat that we should have interviewed everyone available and picked the best candidate for both the GM and HC as a unit.  I do not understand why we didn't take the interview process more seriously.  Because of the way he went about doing this, M. Davis will never know who was available or what others may have brought into the building had he taken the process more seriously.

I think AP and CK will do alright (if CK ends up being the pick), but the way we went about hiring AP was lackluster.  I really dislike that the players tried to have so much influence in the hiring process.  But this will be a lesson to them if this ends up backfiring and we turn into a 4-5 win team this upcoming season.

This. It crazy to say this cause they been crazy in front office for so long but the commanders process this whole offseason has been masterful so far. Hiring guys who have built successful franchises just to help interview guys for the gm role. Get best potiental gm on market and than have a real interview process for head coach.  

4 hours ago, dante9876 said:

This. It crazy to say this cause they been crazy in front office for so long but the commanders process this whole offseason has been masterful so far. Hiring guys who have built successful franchises just to help interview guys for the gm role. Get best potiental gm on market and than have a real interview process for head coach.  

Exactly the way we should have done it. And it did initially look like we were going to do that, when the team submitted GM interview requests for a bunch of decent, respectable names.

And then, suddenly, we were back to same old dysfunctional Raiders. Mark just doesn’t seem to have the temperament to do things properly.

• Like 2

Raiders weren't going to have a normal process mainly because Mark knew AP was getting the Head Coaching job. Everyone knew AP was getting the job or you risk losing the locker room. So right from jump our process wasn't going to be normal. So I'm assuming Mark interviewed GM candidates who were on board with AP as HC. Now it appears they have 3 guys Kelly,Dodds,Telesco to choose from.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Raiders weren't going to have a normal process mainly because Mark knew AP was getting the Head Coaching job. Everyone knew AP was getting the job or you risk losing the locker room. So right from jump our process wasn't going to be normal. So I'm assuming Mark interviewed GM candidates who were on board with AP as HC. Now it appears they have 3 guys Kelly,Dodds,Telesco to choose from.

And this exactly how you talk yourselves into hiring a Freddy Kitchens.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Actually I think we are choosing between Champ and Dodds for the GM job and try to convince Telesco into assistant GM or senior "something" to join the winning rookie GM...

Edited by Rolni

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

No that’s different. Because kitchens wasn’t the head coach that year. Greg Williams was the interim head coach and I was firing the team up. The difference is you can’t hire Greg Williams as a head coach ever again because of the bounty gate scandal . The better calm for kitchens Would be basically if Bo Hardigree did good and we decided to hire him

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Or he is the exact opposite of Freddy Kichtens.
We will see. The last few predictions in this forum didn't last that long

Edited by Styrian Raider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

No that’s different. Because kitchens wasn’t the head coach that year. Greg Williams was the interim head coach and I was firing the team up. The difference is you can’t hire Greg Williams as a head coach ever again because of the bounty gate scandal . The better calm for kitchens Would be basically if Bo Hardigree did good and we decided to hire him

It's similar. Kitchens was the guy the team loved and made the offense go. The locker room supported him getting the job. Baker took off with him calling plays. His hype was unreal and they expected to carry over that offensive magic the next year. 

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

Or he is the exact opposite of Freddy Kichtens.
We will see. The last few predictions in this forum didn't last that long

Here is hoping. Typically with these things it's somewhere in the middle and we hope AP can buck the trend.

Since 2000, interim coaches who kept the job went on to have .435 win% and make playoffs 22% of the time (only Jason Garrett has more than 1 playoff appearance). Coaches hired by teams who passed on interim coaches have .487 win% and make playoffs 43% of the time

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's similar. Kitchens was the guy the team loved and made the offense go. The locker room supported him getting the job. Baker took off with him calling plays. His hype was unreal and they expected to carry over that offensive magic the next year. 

Here is hoping. Typically with these things it's somewhere in the middle and we hope AP can buck the trend.

Since 2000, interim coaches who kept the job went on to have .435 win% and make playoffs 22% of the time (only Jason Garrett has more than 1 playoff appearance). Coaches hired by teams who passed on interim coaches have .487 win% and make playoffs 43% of the time

There's a lot of OCs that are loved that suck his head coaches. It's a different skill set entirely. You can love an OC until you find out that he doesn't know how to lead men. AP showed that he could do it at the head coach position which is what we are looking for. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Out of curiosity, do you know the sample size? 

Obviously the number of interims is going to be smaller, and usually an interim only arises from pretty bleak circumstances. 

The win% is relatively close, so I'd sorta be interested in knowing if anyone is skewing the results by a large margin. I would have expected it to be a lot lower, personally. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

There's a lot of OCs that are loved that suck his head coaches. It's a different skill set entirely. You can love an OC until you find out that he doesn't know how to lead men. AP showed that he could do it at the head coach position which is what we are looking for. 

Small sample size. And there is a lot more to the HC job than on the field. 

Staff, which we've exhausted. How they run the offseason. How they are in the draft. How they approach OTA's, training camps, etc. 

Thing I like about AP is attaching himself to Marvin Lewis who did it at a high level for a long time. Underrated addition to the staff. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How many interim coaches were hired in actual numbers and how many were not hired. That makes a huge difference in how accurate the average is.
But you also have to take into account, that an interim coach is only there if a HC failed. Question is, if the interim coach stands for the same philosophy / scheme as the failed coach. If yes, then why should it work the second time?

And AP's way is just nothing like JMDs way.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Out of curiosity, do you know the sample size? 

Obviously the number of interims is going to be smaller, and usually an interim only arises from pretty bleak circumstances. 

The win% is relatively close, so I'd sorta be interested in knowing if anyone is skewing the results by a large margin. I would have expected it to be a lot lower, personally. 

It's Jason Garrett who was less interim and more groomed for the job in Dallas. He went 8-8 his first 3 seasons.

Jason Garrett 80-64, 3 playoffs - 1 win

Mike Tice 32-32, 1 playoff

Mike Mularkey 18-14, 1 playoff

Doug Marrone 22-42, 1 playoff

Leslie Frazier 18-29-1, 1 playoff

Tom Cable 13-19

Mike Singletary 13-18

**** LeBeau 8-24

Dave McGinnis 16-32

Romeo Crennel 2-14