Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Count me in for a few years of incredible teams, even if we have to run him out of the building a few years down the line.

Another thing which is a little silly, but I think you have to consider with gms / hcs who’ve been around the league along time, who’ve had battles with different people… 

do we need to worry about another email leak scandal? 

no doubt in my mind Gruden was not the only coach saying those things. Harbaugh, fits that mentality to a T IMO only of course. But it was a boys club for a long time. 

i 100% think the nfl did Gruden wrong, but, you gotta wonder who’s got dirt on a guy like Harbaugh again just my opinion. 

not who I’d hire, but 100% know that if they do, by the time the season rolls around I’ll be all in and love him lmao. 

can’t argue his results, but there are other areas that concern me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I really hope that we don't retain our current coaching staff.

Same. Don't care how much the player like him (same as Rich B). The gap between this group of amateurs and Reid/Payton in the division is massive.

I would try to keep the defensive side in tact as much as possible maybe. It's working. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Same. Don't care how much the player like him (same as Rich B). The gap between this group of amateurs and Reid/Payton in the division is massive.

I would try to keep the defensive side in tact as much as possible maybe. It's working. 

We could always do something similar to what the Colts just did, brought in a young hotshot offensive minded head coach but kept their defensive staff intact.

I like AP but I just don't think he's ready to be a HC and if you roll with him and AOC next season you're basically just punting the year away.

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We could always do something similar to what the Colts just did, brought in a young hotshot offensive minded head coach but kept their defensive staff intact.

I like AP but I just don't think he's ready to be a HC and if you roll with him and AOC next season you're basically just punting the year away.

Would feel very underwhelming to keep Kelly, AP and Hardegree. No way I'm looking at that group as having staying power. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Until we hire another hotshot coordinator who Reid and Payton run circles around them still.

I know we want great schemers but it doesn’t matter if they can’t lead. I’m not ready to rule out AP being a guy who can grow into a quality head coach.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Until we hire another hotshot coordinator who Reid and Payton run circles around them still.

I know we want great schemers but it doesn’t matter if they can’t lead. I’m not ready to rule out AP being a guy who can grow into a quality head coach.

Possibly... but I'd rather role the dice on a Ben Johnson type that I have some confidence can coach up a young QB and build an offense.

Multiple ways to lead. Some of you love the rah rah type. But that starts to fall on deaf ears eventually unless the team is winning. Do you trust AP to hire an offensive staff capable developing young QBs? I don't. My guess we either get strapped with Hardegree or some retread guy that underwhelms. 

On 11/5/2023 at 11:17 AM, Chali21 said:

Honestly other than Belichek who had Brady, what Defensive head coach has had success in terms of winning a Super Bowl? Probably Mike Tomlin. But other than that you have a combination of elite QB and former OC. Not saying offensive coaches are a catch all obviously we’ve just experienced that but by and large that’s the way to go. 

If you don't count Belichick, then there are 5 coaches that don't have offensive backgrounds that won Super Bowls since 2000. 

Pete Carroll

Mike Tomlin

Bill Cower

Tony Dungy

John Harbaugh (Special Teams Coordinator)

Bill Belichick (6)

But also the list of defensive coaches that lost in the Bowl since 2000 is pretty long also.

Dan Quinn

Pete Carroll

Ron Rivera

John Fox (2)

Lovie Smith

Jeff Fischer

Mike Tomlin

Bill Belichick (3)

Here's the inconvenient truth. If you want a good offensive coordinator/play caller, you have to make them the head coach. 

That is how all these McVey/Shanahan guys are getting jobs so young. The NFL is an offensive game now, the best play callers get HC jobs. 

What defensive minded coach is killing it right now? Vrabel, Saleh, Allen, Belichick, Eberflus, McDermot... these guys are reeling right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would feel very underwhelming to keep Kelly, AP and Hardegree. No way I'm looking at that group as having staying power. 

I like AP. 

I think he could do something this year that solidifieds him as the front runner. 

That said, I draw the AP line here: AP wouldn't be on anyone's radar as a HC if he didn't get the interim job this year. Thus, he needs to far and away beat out  other hotshot candidates people have had their eye on. 

He can be the front runner, but that's as far as he'll make it with me. If he interviews we'll and wins the job, cool. If not, cool. 

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Possibly... but I'd rather role the dice on a Ben Johnson type that I have some confidence can coach up a young QB and build an offense.

Multiple ways to lead. Some of you love the rah rah type. But that starts to fall on deaf ears eventually unless the team is winning. Do you trust AP to hire an offensive staff capable developing young QBs? I don't. My guess we either get strapped with Hardegree or some retread guy that underwhelms. 

Can Ben Johnson run a team while installing his offense and calling plays? He’s only been an offensive coordinator one season. How does his offense react once on tape for a year? Who would be his defense coordinator? Can’t expect PG to return as he would want his own staff. These are questions I have. 

AP is the best man for the job. We need continuity on defense. It is something that shouldn’t be messed with. The staff has gotten a lot out of a bottom 5 salary defense. That’s half of the scenario figured out to get to contender

AP and Dan Campbell are very similar. Campbell hired great assistants and has flourish because the Lions stuck him despite starting 4-19. AP hasn’t had the opportunity to get better offensive assistants or an Off season to recruit FAs,  and draft, I think that will decide his fate. AP hasn’t had an opportunity to hire a staff and go through an offseason. 

• Like 2

This cycle will be interesting and frustrating again :)

There will be the AP group, the Harbaugh group and the hot-young-OC group :)

I just hope Mark Davis will have a few really solid advisors this time around and they will have a deep and real search.

I want a GM in place and not a combo deal and definately not a HC above the GM deal again...

I would also like to see Patrick Graham back as DC, because his D starts to come around and we need continuity!

For me it's either Champ and AP with a good plan for the offensive side or a new GM, with an up and coming O minded HC, whom have a secure enough ego to keep PG and the D staff.

I get the Jim Harbaugh is a winner theme, but I don't want a HC with draft, UFA, roster control again. If we can get him to come and work as a HC only under a GM he trusts and accepts, then I could be on board, however I just doubt he would be willing to accept those terms...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

This cycle will be interesting and frustrating again :)

There will be the AP group, the Harbaugh group and the hot-young-OC group :)

So business as usual, right?

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I just hope Mark Davis will have a few really solid advisors this time around and they will have a deep and real search.

I want a GM in place and not a combo deal and definately not a HC above the GM deal again...

I would also like to see Patrick Graham back as DC, because his D starts to come around and we need continuity!

For me it's either Champ and AP with a good plan for the offensive side or a new GM, with an up and coming O minded HC, whom have a secure enough ego to keep PG and the D staff.

I get the Jim Harbaugh is a winner theme, but I don't want a HC with draft, UFA, roster control again. If we can get him to come and work as a HC only under a GM he trusts and accepts, then I could be on board, however I just doubt he would be willing to accept those terms...

I really think that the question who will be the next GM, and what responsibilities he gets, is more interesting than who will be the next HC.

If it's gonna be Champ - will he get free hand from Mark Davis to find a HC or will it be again a package deal with AP. Or do we again go the route that the HC will choose his GM?

• Like 2