Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Can Ben Johnson run a team while installing his offense and calling plays? He’s only been an offensive coordinator one season. How does his offense react once on tape for a year? Who would be his defense coordinator? Can’t expect PG to return as he would want his own staff. These are questions I have. 

AP is the best man for the job. We need continuity on defense. It is something that shouldn’t be messed with. The staff has gotten a lot out of a bottom 5 salary defense. That’s half of the scenario figured out to get to contender

AP and Dan Campbell are very similar. Campbell hired great assistants and has flourish because the Lions stuck him despite starting 4-19. AP hasn’t had the opportunity to get better offensive assistants or an Off season to recruit FAs,  and draft, I think that will decide his fate. AP hasn’t had an opportunity to hire a staff and go through an offseason. 

Campbell took over a known rebuild and walked into a trade windfall thanks to Stafford. 

He was also squarely on the hot seat and many Detroit fans were....hesitant to say the least..to support him. 

I'm a huge fan, but he very nearly screwed the pooch in Detroit with 1 bad hire. 

I don't think fans are willing to wait 3-4 years for AP to prove himself more than a rah rah guy. We're not where the Lions were and patience won't last long. 2 years ago, we were in the playoffs with an upward trajectory with some tinkering needed. Last year was an astounding disaster. This year is mid, though improving a bit. 

But the scenarios are far too different for me to see much similarity beyond them both being ex player rah rah guys. Pierce has Campbell's first 2 years in Detroit, he's kicked to the curb and back coaching LBs in the Big12. 

As much as I like Campbell, it's going to take a ton of luck post Johnson for him to be in Detroit in 2026. 

I hope Bisaccia isn't as high up on the list as Hondo reported. He was a great option immediately following his interim stint, but not now. Most of the team has turned over and he'd have to start building those relationships from scratch. 

Whoever it is, give me someone who has proven they can lead and be successful 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would feel very underwhelming to keep Kelly, AP and Hardegree. No way I'm looking at that group as having staying power. 

Or they could all be young, inexperienced and ready to grow together? 

I’m not saying they will of course, but they have a few games now to provide some evidence that’s they can handle and grow into the roles.

Im a proponent of Jim Harbaugh but Pierce has a shot if he can keep the team playing well and sneak an upset win or two like a game against KC he might be hard to let go. Hardegree has a very steep learning curve but he can possibly show the ability to grow and adapt. Kelly is probably the hardest to assess as it’s very limited what he can do to justify himself.

22 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would feel very underwhelming to keep Kelly, AP and Hardegree. No way I'm looking at that group as having staying power. 

I agree, but i think Davis is preferential to this route this time around. He's whiffed going big and I think he's going to overcompensate in the conservative direction. 

Plus, this gives him a year or two to recover from the bad coaching contracts. (Not that he needs it, but at some point spending 100m on coaching contracts every 2 years has got to make you pause and think about not risking it again)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SodakRaiders said:

If you don't count Belichick, then there are 5 coaches that don't have offensive backgrounds that won Super Bowls since 2000. 

Pete Carroll

Mike Tomlin

Bill Cower

Tony Dungy

John Harbaugh (Special Teams Coordinator)

Bill Belichick (6)

But also the list of defensive coaches that lost in the Bowl since 2000 is pretty long also.

Dan Quinn

Pete Carroll

Ron Rivera

John Fox (2)

Lovie Smith

Jeff Fischer

Mike Tomlin

Bill Belichick (3)

Why would you not count Bellichick?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Here's the inconvenient truth. If you want a good offensive coordinator/play caller, you have to make them the head coach. 

That is how all these McVey/Shanahan guys are getting jobs so young. The NFL is an offensive game now, the best play callers get HC jobs. 

What defensive minded coach is killing it right now? Vrabel, Saleh, Allen, Belichick, Eberflus, McDermot... these guys are reeling right now.

Don’t think it’s quite so black and white really, if you’d asked that question a couple years ago the answer would be quite different, maybe it’s just swings and roundabouts. If the trend continues for four or five years I’d be more likely to buy into it.

4 hours ago, Justwinning said:

The same questions people have for AP can be just as easily applied to other coaching candidates who would be first time head coaches. 

Yes and no. AP was not on any list of coach candidate. No track record prior to this stint. 

Others put themselves on the radar with their work in their current job.

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yes and no. AP was not on any list of coach candidate. No track record prior to this stint. 

Others put themselves on the radar with their work in their current job.

At a certain point, every single head coaching candidate came out of nowhere to emerge relevant. Who was Ben Johnson before his Lions gig? I get it that AP doesn’t have a long track record, that is a valid concern but I’m going to hold judgment on his candidacy until after the season. I’m definitely rooting for him right now though.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

So business as usual, right?

I really think that the question who will be the next GM, and what responsibilities he gets, is more interesting than who will be the next HC.

If it's gonna be Champ - will he get free hand from Mark Davis to find a HC or will it be again a package deal with AP. Or do we again go the route that the HC will choose his GM?

Yeah :D

I hope that Mark learned his lessons lately with HC driven structures and goes with the GM driven method, which he choosed first time with Reggie...

Champ Kelly has a legit shot IMO, but hopefully there will be more interviews and more guys involved and it is not just given to him.

When we have the GM, hoepfully Mark lets that guy trully evaluate AP and his work during this season. Then he should conduct a real HC search, where AP has a fair chance IF he fairs well in this upcoming part of the season. After a good, real HC search I would be alright with AP if we see good progress, good play down the stretch this year.

I want to keep PG badly on defense, which would be pretty sure with AP staying, but we definately should not name AP just to keep PG :)
It will also be interested whether AP can offer a good plan, quality OC replacement, if Bo looks not good enough by the end of the season...that would be huge for AP.

His only chance for success, is to have good coordinators. He needs much more then that, but that is absolutely needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Yeah :D

I hope that Mark learned his lessons lately with HC driven structures and goes with the GM driven method, which he choosed first time with Reggie...

Champ Kelly has a legit shot IMO, but hopefully there will be more interviews and more guys involved and it is not just given to him.

When we have the GM, hoepfully Mark lets that guy trully evaluate AP and his work during this season. Then he should conduct a real HC search, where AP has a fair chance IF he fairs well in this upcoming part of the season. After a good, real HC search I would be alright with AP if we see good progress, good play down the stretch this year.

I want to keep PG badly on defense, which would be pretty sure with AP staying, but we definately should not name AP just to keep PG :)
It will also be interested whether AP can offer a good plan, quality OC replacement, if Bo looks not good enough by the end of the season...that would be huge for AP.

His only chance for success, is to have good coordinators. He needs much more then that, but that is absolutely needed.

Champ Kelly has to take advantage of his situation. He is now 3 months ahead any other candidate (actually it's over a year). If he is that "highly regarded" in the NFL like some guys in the media tell, then he is going to deliver a detailed state of the raiders franchise now and where he can see room for improvement and of course how he wants to improve it, short-, mid- and longterm.

No other candidate should have this inside information.

I don't know if you can really evaluate the work of Bo after the season. If it's true that he more or less dumped the playbook of JMD and chose to start to work on a vanilla playbook midseason with the players around him, then he at least isn't a blind follower of the patriot way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G said:

Thinking we can get the next up and coming coach has me thinking we're not the #1 job out there. Two big name coaches recently let go. It's a full rebuild with no established QB. Good luck...

I'm not so sure.............. the way I look at it:

• Patient Owner who's not prone to knee jerk firings
  • Brand new facilities and very high profile
  • Soon to be cash rich franchise
  • Full slate of draft picks
  • Already have in place All Pro WR, RB, DE, Pro Bowl LT
  • Desperately need QB, DT, CB and Oline

I don't see a full rebuild nor anything like it, I see a team that with a prudent and clever offseason can be an almost immediate contender.

If you were a HC I don't think it would be too hard to convince an up and coming offensive guy to come and be an OC for Adams, Jacobs, Meyers, Mayer, Renfrow, Miller. We've got a lot of pieces there to make him look good especially with a QB he'll have major input on and be able to potentially groom. Defensively we have a much improved defence in place with an established DC if they can work together or a canvas a new DC might want to work with.

I think we'll be a really highly sought destination for coaches TBH. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'm not so sure.............. the way I look at it:

• Patient Owner who's not prone to knee jerk firings
  • Brand new facilities and very high profile
  • Soon to be cash rich franchise
  • Full slate of draft picks
  • Already have in place All Pro WR, RB, DE, Pro Bowl LT
  • Desperately need QB, DT, CB and Oline

I don't see a full rebuild nor anything like it, I see a team that with a prudent and clever offseason can be an almost immediate contender.

If you were a HC I don't think it would be too hard to convince an up and coming offensive guy to come and be an OC for Adams, Jacobs, Meyers, Mayer, Renfrow, Miller. We've got a lot of pieces there to make him look good especially with a QB he'll have major input on and be able to potentially groom. Defensively we have a much improved defence in place with an established DC if they can work together or a canvas a new DC might want to work with.

I think we'll be a really highly sought destination for coaches TBH. 

I hope you're right. 

I doubt it will happen, but how would folks here feel about Robert Saleh? 

I know some people want an offensive mind and some/others don't want a retread. Both reasonable, imo. 

I think he's gotten a pretty raw deal and had some genuinely bad luck in NY, bit guys indeed play for him and the Jets are still a competitive team especially on D. No NFL coach is overcoming SunBelt Zach at QB. 

If the Jets let him go, I definitely wouldn't mind at least interviewing him. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I doubt it will happen, but how would folks here feel about Robert Saleh? 

I know some people want an offensive mind and some/others don't want a retread. Both reasonable, imo. 

I think he's gotten a pretty raw deal and had some genuinely bad luck in NY, bit guys indeed play for him and the Jets are still a competitive team especially on D. No NFL coach is overcoming SunBelt Zach at QB. 

If the Jets let him go, I definitely wouldn't mind at least interviewing him. 

I like him, can’t believe the Jets would let him go after what has clearly been something totally out of his control. I think he’s done really well considering what he’s left with. 

He’d be a viable candidate I think but if you’re going down that road I’d have to ask is he that big of an improvement over Pierce to risk upsetting the locker room apple cart? At least with a guy like Harbaugh we can justify why we let the no doubt incredibly popular Pierce go before the backlash.

• Like 1