Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

On 11/25/2023 at 10:29 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Regardless of who it is, this has to be the plan. Bring in one more CB. Add a few DL/OL. Draft a QB. Things are looking up.

DT is deep and should be good value on day 2/early day 3 but it seriously lacks high end talent. If the draft were today I'd bet not one goes in the top 20.

• Like 1

Frank Smith is my sleeper candidate if we miss on Ben Johnson and Jim Harbaugh. 

He has coached under Sean Payton, John Fox, Jon Gruden, and Mike McDaniel. He has familiarity with the franchise as a former three year assistant here and was also with Champ Kelly for a year in Chicago. 

Overall just seems like a good fit, he is regarded as one of the best young offensive minds in the league.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He has coached under Sean Payton, John Fox, Jon Gruden, and Mike McDaniel. He has familiarity with the franchise as a former three year assistant here and was also with Champ Kelly for a year in Chicago. 

Overall just seems like a good fit, he is regarded as one of the best young offensive minds in the league.

I'm adding Brian Johnson to my list, at least for interviews. 

His work with Hurts could do wonders for a young QB and the Sirianni tree looks to be the next big thing. Plus, if we could get someone from Howie Roseman's circle conducting our draft and negotiating trades, I would be super comfortable going forward. The Eagles just get "it". 

Only been an OC for 1 year, so he's an unlikely candidate, but miiiiight be worth taking a leap of faith with. 

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Was he the former TEs coach for us? He was highly thought of I believe

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I’m very high on Smith and have him as my #3 outside of those two as well. He has been around and worked with some of the best minds in the game and from all the reports out there the players absolutely love him. Sign me tf up. 

Edited by FloydFan
Typo
  • Like 2

Still hard to judge AP with the current roster/OC. IMO he should have gone for the 4th & 1 up 7-0 on the 12.. and to me if you can’t bear down for 1 yard then shame on the players for not executing. In the same breath, zero turnovers I believe so he has them playing disciplined which is a first in a long time. He’s learning on the go, and without a full deck of cards.. he didn’t pick this staff, he didn’t draft a 4th round rookie QB or give a washed up QB 20+ mil a year.. With McDumbo, I would have expected 45-10 back to back losses.. At least these 2, we had a chance, yet tailed off due to inexperienced QB/OC, couldn’t score in the 2nd half and put the defense in bad spots against 2 of the top offenses/teams in the league. 

I’m willing to let the last 5 games play out and reserve judgement then. Anything less than 3 wins more wins yet could take 4 he’s likely gone regardless, especially if we get blown out in any. Yet again, he’s not calling/designing the plays, but he’s got to get Bo to make improvements and start scoring 24+ per weak if we’re going to have a fighting chance.

• Like 1

Willing to also add that 3-4 more wins isn’t playoff contention, so the meaningless wins just give us a worse draft pick and make it harder to get one of the top 3-4 QB’s.. as much as I like that AP embodies the Raider way, I think a 6-8 win season doesn’t keep him around unless he blows MD away with some offseason plan that him and Champ may have.. the question I have is will the players respect another regime change/first time HC from the outside? Will Mark listen to the players influence this time around if they want AP to get a real chance? 

if he’s able to bring in a qualified OC, demote Bo back to QB coach if he wants to stick around, draft a QB early, resign Jacobs and shore up the OLine in free agency/draft, which we’d have the cap and draft picks to do, I can see a massive improvement next year. We aren’t that far off and the chiefs don’t look as unbeatable as they used to be.

Edited by JarrodR86

17 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

Still hard to judge AP with the current roster/OC. IMO he should have gone for the 4th & 1 up 7-0 on the 12.. and to me if you can’t bear down for 1 yard then shame on the players for not executing. In the same breath, zero turnovers I believe so he has them playing disciplined which is a first in a long time. He’s learning on the go, and without a full deck of cards.. he didn’t pick this staff, he didn’t draft a 4th round rookie QB or give a washed up QB 20+ mil a year.. With McDumbo, I would have expected 45-10 back to back losses.. At least these 2, we had a chance, yet tailed off due to inexperienced QB/OC, couldn’t score in the 2nd half and put the defense in bad spots against 2 of the top offenses/teams in the league. 

I’m willing to let the last 5 games play out and reserve judgement then. Anything less than 3 wins more wins yet could take 4 he’s likely gone regardless, especially if we get blown out in any. Yet again, he’s not calling/designing the plays, but he’s got to get Bo to make improvements and start scoring 24+ per weak if we’re going to have a fighting chance.

The reality is that AP hasn't shown enough to really be in contention to keep the job, IMO. He is super inexperienced and his only bright moments have come against two of the worst teams in the league. Our offensive adjustments have still been absolutely god awful after half time since he took over.

• Like 1

I can see 3 scenarios right now.

1, Champ Kelly and Antonio Pierce get the full time gig

2, We hire a true GM and let him hire a young up and coming O mind

3, We hire Jim Harbaugh and let him bring in a GM

Right now I think the 3rd is the least probable option for multiple reasons.

1, Mark still kinda pays Gruden, JMD and Harbaugh would also want top coach money. That might be too much for Mark.

2, The roster building part of Gruden's and JMD's tenure should be a big lesson for Mark. Most of the time it doesn't work if the HC has final say and full power. 

3, Harbaugh might just playing the NFL card to get a better deal at Michigan again

4, If Jim is trully coming to the NFL we might not be his first option. He has strong ties to the Bears organization, whom happen to have loads of cap space and serious draft capital too.

5, They can easily clean the house for him, since Ryan Poles hasn't done any mircale. Also worth noting that Ryan Poles comes from the Chiefs where Andy Reid has full power, so I think he could be alright with a situation where he assist a power HC like Harbaugh. 

I think the first 2 scenario is more likely to happen. Either Mark gives at least another year to Kelly and AP or he hires a GM and let him work, how he first did with Reggie.

I just hope that Patrick Graham will be back as DC, since I really like what I see from our D lately most of the time and it would be fun to see this unit develope more with added talent and with even more chemistry.

19 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I can see 3 scenarios right now.

1, Champ Kelly and Antonio Pierce get the full time gig

2, We hire a true GM and let him hire a young up and coming O mind

3, We hire Jim Harbaugh and let him bring in a GM

I think there's also a realistic chance that we keep Champ Kelly as our GM and hire a new coaching staff. I'm pretty sure that Kelly has interviewed for other GM spots and I know we interviewed him for the real GM spot before we hired Ziegler. IIRC Mark liked him so much that he ended up hiring him as the assistant GM, right?

Keeping Kelly would make it a lot easier to start the coaching search as soon as the season is over. We missed on quality candidates last round because we made the playoffs and were looking to hire a GM/HC at the same time.

Edited by NYRaider

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I've always been a fan of Shaw, he was with Gruden in Philly and Oakland to start his professional coaching career. He was actually our QB coach in 2001 with Rich Gannon before moving on and being replaced by Jim Harbaugh during Gannon's MVP season. He's obviously a Jim Harbaugh disciple though and had a lot of success at Stanford before they got completely washed out due to lack of recruiting resources.