Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

FWIW.... I like Frank Smith. And he has ties with Champ Kelly who I think Mark will stick with at GM

Frank Smith just doesn’t have a leadership vibe when I watch his interviews. Good offensive mind, but you need both. This is just a judgment call on my part, but I feel you can tell when someone is a leader or not.

Edited by Tank4Drake

13 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Frank Smith just doesn’t have a leadership vibe when I watch his interviews. Good offensive mind, but you need both. This is just a judgment call on my part, but I feel you can tell when someone is a leader or not.

Mike McDaniel doesn’t strike me as a good leader either. You don’t have to be a raw raw Friday night lights type of coach to be good.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

McDaniel is the ultimate players coach though. Is Frank the ultimate player coach? Doubt it. 

https://theathletic.com/4885707/2023/09/22/miami-dolphins-frank-smith-offensive-coordinator/

And Smith, his players say, has an air about him that encourages them to want to be at their very best simply to make him happy.

They refer to him as straightforward, a genuine teacher and a leader who has always prioritized the present over the future — all factors his bosses, colleagues and players have appreciated for more than a decade.

“Frank is my favorite coach I’ve ever had,” Waller said. “It was really just about helping people be better. I feel like that’s what would make a great (head) coach. If all you want is the platform, if all you want is the title, you’d be willing to sell somebody out or step on somebody to get there as opposed to elevating them and allowing that good karma to come back to you. I feel like this is an opportunity for him to have all the good karma and good energy to come back his way because all he’s ever done is give it out.”

He has a thorough understanding of the game and is a great teacher, which is really what coaching is all about,” McDaniel said of Smith. “He also has a unique ability to anticipate problems before they arise, be that on the field or in administrative-type things related to schedules, questions that will come up with players or coaches, etc. He operates on a daily basis with a passion, positivity and humility that is rare and sets him apart. It’s hard for me to summarize the positive impact Frank has had on our team, our coaching staff and especially in supporting me as a head coach.”

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

What do you consider a leadership vibe exactly? What does that look like?

I hear the "leader of men" cliché constantly and don't understand what people think that means. 

To me, good leaders display self-awareness, respect, empathy, and gratitude. When I see answers like this from a coach, it embodies much of that.

When I look around the NFL, the best coaches I see are not authoritative, or rah rah guys. They guys like Reid, McVey, Carrol, Shanahan, etc. from those trees that relate to players, have some charisma and most important are self aware. 

Frank Smith is loved by his players, very humble, very self aware and responsible for the run game in Miami. He's also been around some of the best in the business. 

• Like 4

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1733194696095101280?s=46&t=rBi-M5Sv8aIxiPvpkavE-g 

Crosby with the same stuff about Pierce that he was saying about Bisaccia 2 years ago.

I hope it doesn’t weigh too much on Davis, but he clearly respects Crosby a lot and values his opinion. And as we’ve discussed before, I get the feeling Mark regrets that he didn’t give Bisaccia the full time gig at the time.

I like Mark Davis, but I just can’t trust him to not do something really stupid again.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1733194696095101280?s=46&t=rBi-M5Sv8aIxiPvpkavE-g 

Crosby with the same stuff about Pierce that he was saying about Bisaccia 2 years ago.

I hope it doesn’t weigh too much on Davis, but he clearly respects Crosby a lot and values his opinion. And as we’ve discussed before, I get the feeling Mark regrets that he didn’t give Bisaccia the full time gig at the time.

I like Mark Davis, but I just can’t trust him to not do something really stupid again.

Not hiring Bisaccia was the right move. Hiring McDaniels was the wrong move. Hiring Pierce would be another wrong move. Which is why I fully expect it to happen. 

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Vic has made it sound like Champ is likely going to retain the GM position.

This would make sense considering they overhauled all the scouts, etc. under Ziegler and would be Champs guys. Would be 50/50 on the move. His decision on the coach would tell me where I'm at with him. He has a history with Frank Smith. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Not hiring Bisaccia was the right move. Hiring McDaniels was the wrong move. Hiring Pierce would be another wrong move. Which is why I fully expect it to happen. 

Why do you think hiring Antonio Pierce would be the wrong move? Curious to know as I’m honestly unsure about him at this time…….

40 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Why do you think hiring Antonio Pierce would be the wrong move? Curious to know as I’m honestly unsure about him at this time…….

He's not qualified. Assume Pierce is still a LB coach. Would  be offered a HC job on the college level? Would an NFL team hire as a DC? And some want to hand him an NFL job because the players like him. 

Players like a lot of positional coaches. Doesn't mean they can hire a good staff, manage in game situations and adjustments. 

Outside personality, what qualities does he have you can hang your hat on? He's barely proven anything and didn't climb the ranks to DC. 

Are we just hiring any old positional coach to be the head coach? Because I can think of dozens more qualified that Antonio Pierce with resumes to back it. 

That aside, the last 2 games showed he's in over his head. Team has no counter punch outside their first script. He's been frustratingly conservative while then getting unnecessarily aggressive. The defense is all on Graham. 

He has the team playing spirited, same as Bisaccia, which is great. But there is more nuance to being a head coach that can go toe to toe with Reid and Peyton in the division and I feel he's much to green at this stage. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He's not qualified. Assume Pierce is still a LB coach. Would  be offered a HC job on the college level? Would an NFL team hire as a DC? And some want to hand him an NFL job because the players like him. 

This is as accurate as it gets. 

Nothing against Pierce. I don't think anyone is itching for him to fail. I don't think anyone dislikes him. If anything, most people hope he's retained and sticks around. 

But had he not gotten the interim tag, he's not on a radar yet for anything, and our LBs weren't good enough to even guarantee he would have been retained in the normal offseason shuffle. 

He could be an NFL HC. In 5 years, he probably is one, or at least a very good DC. But he's not ready for the gig and it wouldn't end well for any party. 

In an ideal world, we hire Harbaugh, AP stays around as Asst. HC, Harbaugh sticks around bout 6 or 7 years and retires, and AP is ready. But that's highly unlikely and only exists as an option because people like AP, not because it's practical. I hope whoever we hire tries to keep him around, but that's on the HC to offer and AP to accept. If he's gone, it's no great franchise altering loss- no matter how much anyone likes the guy. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Players like a lot of positional coaches. Doesn't mean they can hire a good staff, manage in game situations and adjustments. 

Outside personality, what qualities does he have you can hang your hat on? He's barely proven anything and didn't climb the ranks to DC. 

Are we just hiring any old positional coach to be the head coach? Because I can think of dozens more qualified that Antonio Pierce with resumes to back it. 

That aside, the last 2 games showed he's in over his head. Team has no counter punch outside their first script. He's been frustratingly conservative while then getting unnecessarily aggressive. The defense is all on Graham. 

He has the team playing spirited, same as Bisaccia, which is great. But there is more nuance to being a head coach that can go toe to toe with Reid and Peyton in the division and I feel he's much to green at this stage. 

That’s fair, I can’t really disagree with that. I’ve always been on the Harbaugh bandwagon, AP would have to show me something that wows me because as you say, he’s still green and simply doesn’t have the miles on the clock yet.