Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

PG's defenses throughout his career based on DVOA:

2023 - 23rd

2022 - 29th

2021 - 25th

2020 - 22nd

2019 - 30th

We have a 5 year sample size of his defenses being consistently mediocre.

But, but, but what about that ONE season in New York? Lol

Go look at his performance as a position coach next. Trash, top to bottom. Dude is literally only still around by virtue of Josh McDaniels being worse. 

• Like 1

A name that I want to throw in the ring is Alec Halaby from the Eagles. He's been there for 16 years and acc. to their HP he was responsible for "player evaluation, roster management, and resource allocation, with a particular emphasis on integrating traditional and analytical methods in decision-making"

Got that name btw. from following list, who are also listing Champ Kelly as one of the top talent evaluators fwiw

2024 NFL General Manager Candidates: Rising stars in analytics, talent evaluation and more | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

A wild card is, are good coaching candidates gonna wanna work with Mark Davis? 

I don't foresee a problem. He's not Dave Tepper level bad. 

In the last near decade now:

He fired Dennis Allen for sucking. Nobody other than Carr HATERS ever thought Dennis Allen was legit HC material- and they apparently think he was some Superbowl caliber HC, which is odd as nobody was clamoring to keep him in Oakland back in 2014. 

He fired Jack del Rio because a better alternative was out there. Jack did fine, but he had a ceiling and keeping his staff intact was a big part of his downfall. I personally didn't want to move on so quick as I wasn't absolutely enamored with Gruden, but at the time it was huge news seen as a relative slam dunk. 

He had to let Gruden go because someone was being pissy and dug up decade old emails. Gruden shouldn't have said what he said, but whatever. That's society these days. Mark had to let him go at that point, because our high brow, high society millionaire manchildren were going to mutiny on him because lord knows none of them ever say anything suspect whatsoever. Drafting wasn't great, but we were moving in a positive direction. But again, he didn't fire Gruden due to a lack of patience. 

No owner gets hit too hard for not retaining an interim. Sorry, Rich. 

He fired McDaniels because McDaniels was a total fraud, and I do not for one second buy into the nonsense that Josh McDaniels is as highly regarded as the spin doctors will have anyone believe. He was trash in Denver and St Louis. Assistant coaches move around. He screwed over a whole lot of people with the Indianapolis thing. Anyone really believe plenty of people didn't know of his fetish for all things Patriot? 

Not having someone in place long term sucks, and what we've had since 2014 has mostly been dysfunctional, but at the end of the day it's not like it boils down to Mark being impossible to please or him hardcore meddling. I don't want to go so far as to say he's blameless, but our lack of stability doesn't really reflect on him being someone who coaches wouldn't want to work for. He's not going to fire someone year one, and probably not year two barring a total disaster that risks the franchise becoming a true doormat. And prospective HCs are smart enough to recognize that if not for emails and outrage culture, Gruden would still be here for better or worse. They know McDaniels is a fraud and probably wouldn't have actually gotten a shot if not for the Gruden issue (and at the very least, his shot wouldn't have e been in Las Vegas). 

If anything, I'd think we're still viewed as a team who's HC opening is seen more as an off-chance opportunity as opposed to, say, Carolina where they seem poised to go through HCs like Cleveland goes through QBs. 

• Like 1

I could see the following:

Champ Kelly: GM

Tom Brady: Senior Football Advisor

Rich Basaccia: HC/Assistant ST Coordinator

Frank Reich: OC/Assistant HC

Bo Hardegree: QB coach/Assistant OC

Patrick Graham: DC

Antonio Pierce: LB coach/Assistant DC

Not necessarily saying this should happen or that I want this to happen, but I could see it happening -- especially if Mark feels he made a mistake in choosing Josh over Rich and proceeds to overcompensate by bringing Rich back. Tom Brady as an advisor seems like a very Mark-ish move to me, and not necessarily a bad one. I mention Frank Reich because I feel he got screwed over by two bad/incompetent owners in Indy and Carolina, and he would be a steadying influence in the coaching tree and locker room. Patrick Graham isn't an inspiring choice, but the defense (slightly) turned a corner this year -- so it's hard to say he hasn't earned another shot. Hardegree and Pierce stick around for familiarity and continuity.

At first blush this seems (and probably is) pretty underwhelming. I could see it potentially working if Rich leaves the Xs and Os to the coordinators and focuses on what he does best. Hopefully Brady and Kelly make a good team as well. At the very least, it would be better than bringing Gruden back. Plus in this scenario, the HC wouldn't be controlling EVERYTHING (ala Gruden and McDaniels).

Edited by RaidersForever

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

A wild card is, are good coaching candidates gonna wanna work with Mark Davis? 

Yes.  Only 32 HC opportunities in the NFL.  Raiders, no matter how dysfunctional we are (yes, we, we're married), are a very appealing team to coach.  Why wouldn't a team want to come to a franchise that is about to have $52M in salary cap space this offseason, a full set of picks this upcoming draft (drafting around the top 10), and some decent pieces on the roster.

2 hours ago, RaidersForever said:

Not necessarily saying this should happen or that I want this to happen, but I could see it happening -- especially if Mark feels he made a mistake in choosing Josh over Rich and proceeds to overcompensate by bringing Rich back. Tom Brady as an advisor seems like a very Mark-ish move to me, and not necessarily a bad one. I mention Frank Reich because I feel he got screwed over by two bad/incompetent owners in Indy and Carolina, and he would be a steadying influence in the coaching tree and locker room. Patrick Graham isn't an inspiring choice, but the defense (slightly) turned a corner this year -- so it's hard to say he hasn't earned another shot. Hardegree and Pierce stick around for familiarity and continuity.

At first blush this seems (and probably is) pretty underwhelming. I could see it potentially working if Rich leaves the Xs and Os to the coordinators and focuses on what he does best. Hopefully Brady and Kelly make a good team as well. At the very least, it would be better than bringing Gruden back. Plus in this scenario, the HC wouldn't be controlling EVERYTHING (ala Gruden and McDaniels).

I couldn't see this at all.  HCs always bring in their own guys.  I don't even know if Bisaccia would be ready for such a position.  Also, I feel like that time has passed.  If we were going to keep him it should have been before we hired McDaniels.

I think the Raiders are pretty attractive to prospective HCs. They have lots of pieces on both sides of the ball. You’re pretty much guaranteed to pick your QB. They should be picking top ten and might have a shot at moving up to get their guy. LV is going to have prime time games. $50 million in FA. 

My biggest concern is Mark not doing his due diligence and trying to just hire “his” guy. 

• Like 3

On 12/8/2023 at 11:37 PM, big_palooka said:

He's not qualified. Assume Pierce is still a LB coach. Would  be offered a HC job on the college level? Would an NFL team hire as a DC? And some want to hand him an NFL job because the players like him. 

Just thinking about this and whilst I generally agree (and I'm not trying to be obtuse here), but a few guys have mentioned Ben Johnson the OC for the Lions as a potential hot candidate. Seeing as at the end of this season Pierce will have actually been an NFL Head Coach for half a season and Johnson has only had two seasons as an OC and hasn't been a HC even at college or high school level, wouldn't that make Pierce more qualified than Johnson? Pierce has also played a number of years at the NFL level so possibly understands the business more.

Is this a concern with Johnson? I believe that you liked him as a candidate. I'm not trying to rubbish Johnson at all as I'd be quite excited to get a young, innovative offensive mind like him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RaidersForever said:

Rich Basaccia as our head coach would be insane, a commitment to mediocrity.

25 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Just thinking about this and whilst I generally agree (and I'm not trying to be obtuse here), but a few guys have mentioned Ben Johnson the OC for the Lions as a potential hot candidate. Seeing as at the end of this season Pierce will have actually been an NFL Head Coach for half a season and Johnson has only had two seasons as an OC and hasn't been a HC even at college or high school level, wouldn't that make Pierce more qualified than Johnson? Pierce has also played a number of years at the NFL level so possibly understands the business more.

Is this a concern with Johnson? I believe that you liked him as a candidate. I'm not trying to rubbish Johnson at all as I'd be quite excited to get a young, innovative offensive mind like him.

Most of the top young coaches don't last long as coordinators because competent organizations identify them early on and hire them.

Nick Sirianni - 3 years as an OC / 0 years actually calling plays

Mike McDaniel - 1 year as an OC / 0 years actually calling plays

Kevin O'Connell - 2 years as an OC / 0 years actually calling plays

Sean McVay - 3 years as an OC

Matt LaFleur - 2 years as an OC / 1 year actually calling plays

The only thing Pierce has shown as a head coach is that he is in over his head. Coming off the bye week that flat with absolutely zero offensive game plan is embarrassing.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Fair points. But there is a reason he is a known commodity and among the top candidates for a HC job. He built his resume with a dynamic offense around mid QB.

Pierce is what? A feel good story who goes back to coaching LBs if he doesn't keep the job. 

• Like 3