Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How can you give him credit for the defense being good when the defense has been pretty good all year, do you think the LB coach / interim HC are more responsible for it than the coordinator?

Can you give me at least 3-5 reasons why AP should be seriously considered as our next head coach?

At the very minimum, he has the LB corp playing much better.

Let me ask a similar question for a candidate like Frank Smith since he seems to be a popular choice (I like him too fwiw). What has he done to be a prime candidate for us? Because he was a good TE coach? He coordinates the dolphins with elite weapons and a head coach that does the play calling?

17 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Let me ask a similar question for a candidate like Frank Smith since he seems to be a popular choice (I like him too fwiw). What has he done to be a prime candidate for us? Because he was a good TE coach? He coordinates the dolphins with elite weapons and a head coach that does the play calling?

Because he's highly regarded in league circles for a reason, if it's not here, he'll be a head coach elsewhere within the next two cycles. I think 10 cycles could go through without AP getting a HC job.

Mike McDaniel was only a coordinator for one year in San Fran that didn't call plays before he was hired. So we've seen one of the best coaches in the league emerge under the same circumstances from the same coaching tree. And ultimately he has been around great coaches, including super bowl winners and young emerging guys. You can also credit Smith for Miami's success in the run game, helping Waller go from miscast practice squad player to All-Pro, among other things.

AP's resume includes 5 years on the Arizona State staff under failed NFL head coach Herm Edwards where they struggled to compete in the Pac-12. And then two years under Josh McDaniels where our LB group has been pretty meh and his adjustments have been god awful.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Because he's highly regarded in league circles for a reason, if it's not here, he'll be a head coach elsewhere within the next two cycles. I think 10 cycles could go through without AP getting a HC job.

Mike McDaniel was only a coordinator for one year in San Fran that didn't call plays before he was hired. So we've seen one of the best coaches in the league emerge under the same circumstances from the same coaching tree. And ultimately he has been around great coaches, including super bowl winners and young emerging guys. You can also credit Smith for Miami's success in the run game, helping Waller go from miscast practice squad player to All-Pro, among other things.

AP's resume includes 5 years on the Arizona State staff under failed NFL head coach Herm Edwards where they struggled to compete in the Pac-12. And then two years under Josh McDaniels where our LB group has been pretty meh and his adjustments have been god awful.

Feels like we have heard this narrative before 🤔 lol

Point is, for any candidate, you can find reasons why you like them. At the end of the day, there’s a lot of factors to go into a head coach becoming successful. We’ve see. examples on both extremes succeed and fail. 

I just hope we get this next one right.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Feels like we have heard this narrative before 🤔 lol

Point is, for any candidate, you can find reasons why you like them. At the end of the day, there’s a lot of factors to go into a head coach becoming successful. We’ve see. examples on both extremes succeed and fail. 

I just hope we get this next one right.

AP isn't highly regarded in league circles, hasn't had success in the college or professional levels, and has completely crapped the bed over the last month.

AP supporters does him getting out coached so bad at the HS level that he destroyed a national power house and got ran out of town change your opinion on his NFL prospects?

On February 7, 2014, Pierce was named the head coach at national powerhouse Long Beach Polytechnic High School, replacing Raul Lara, who stepped down as the head coach of the program after 13 seasons. After an 11-2 first season, the Jackrabbits struggled under Pierce, missing the playoffs for the first time in 36 years in his second season at the helm. The struggles continued in 2016 and 2017, with the program failing to reach double digit wins in both years and getting blown out in the playoffs.

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This has probably been said already but I want Patrick Graham to remain DC. Dude has slowly turned us into a legitimately solid D, and with a bunch of JAGs and castoffs. 

i think he deserves it. Itd be wise for an offensive minded coach to bring PG back so he can focus on getting the offense up to speed. 

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

AP supporters does him getting out coached so bad at the HS level that he destroyed a national power house and got ran out of town change your opinion on his NFL prospects?

Poly fell off because Bosco started taking all their players lol 

42 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This has probably been said already but I want Patrick Graham to remain DC. Dude has slowly turned us into a legitimately solid D, and with a bunch of JAGs and castoffs. 

The hardest part of accomplishing this is if we get a new HC.  It'll be hard to sell because HCs have so much at stake when it comes to their success.  They may be hesitant to rely on PG to continue to hold down the defense.  I just don't see this staff sticking around after this season.  PG will probably get a better job with a better HC during the offseason and it won't be here.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, Darbsk said:

Just thinking about this and whilst I generally agree (and I'm not trying to be obtuse here), but a few guys have mentioned Ben Johnson the OC for the Lions as a potential hot candidate. Seeing as at the end of this season Pierce will have actually been an NFL Head Coach for half a season and Johnson has only had two seasons as an OC and hasn't been a HC even at college or high school level, wouldn't that make Pierce more qualified than Johnson? Pierce has also played a number of years at the NFL level so possibly understands the business more.

Is this a concern with Johnson? I believe that you liked him as a candidate. I'm not trying to rubbish Johnson at all as I'd be quite excited to get a young, innovative offensive mind like him.

Legit not being sarcastic here, but I think that's what people see with Pierce- a guy who has had a limited opportunity. 

And that sort of the issue- he hasn't improved week to week, he's managed to regress. 

I know there's a huge talent disparity between HS and the NFL, but the guy has been a HC before and all HCs start somewhere, and yet he lacks some of the most basic fundamentals one would expect from a JR High coach, much less an NFL HC. His clock management and decision making is incredibly spotty and dude had us running f'n burpies at halftime. 

If nothing else, Ben Johnson is an unknown. Pierce looks like he's in way over his head as a HC. A gamble, yes, but a gamble is more worthwhile than bad qualifications. Josh McDaniels would be more "qualified" than either, if that makes sense. 

AP 100% has a place in the NFL coaching ranks, but not as a HC. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Nah bro. The bolded is why he sucks. Right @ronjon1990?

Nah, bro, the bolded is what has caused people to trick themselves into believing he hasn't historically sucked. 

Beating up on Tommy DeVitwho, Zach Hesitant, Josh VanS, Tyson Bagel, Kenny Pickles, and MacNCheese Jones would help any D look good.......and, hell, Graham only has us looking mid at best. 

Nearly half of our opponents have started QBs who aren't NFL starting QBs and most of whom are arguably not even true backup level QBs. We're about to play yet another one on Sunday. That won't happen again for a long long time. 

Anyone who wants to toot their horn and ignore the context of why we even look middle of the road can go ahead and do so. Bask in it. Relish it. Rub their nipples with the knowledge that in 2023, Patrick Graham fielded an NFL middle of the road D and ignore that almost half of the teams we played were playing reserve scrubs. 

Because if he's back in 2024, we will be bottom of the barrel again, and I will go on another "I told you so" warpath. 

Edited by ronjon1990