Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

Just wondering if anyone knows how the Ravens front office handles chain of command. How do Eric DeCosta and John Harbaugh work together and who has final say? Obviously, John and Jim are not the same person but they do seem to share a lot of traits and are twins I believe, it’s a worry for most about Jim that the GM would be a redundant ‘yes man’.

On 12/17/2023 at 7:45 AM, Darbsk said:

Just wondering if anyone knows how the Ravens front office handles chain of command. How do Eric DeCosta and John Harbaugh work together and who has final say? Obviously, John and Jim are not the same person but they do seem to share a lot of traits and are twins I believe, it’s a worry for most about Jim that the GM would be a redundant ‘yes man’.

John Harbaugh was brought into the Ravens organization under Ozzie Newsome, where for sure Ozzie was running the show. DeCosta was also there in this structure a lot, before he took over the job.

There the GM has the final say, but I guess their on a more even terms now then that they were under Newsome...
Reportedly they have a really good and strong working relationship and they discuss everything and eventually get on the same page...with that said I think the GM has the final say regarding FA, draft...

Jim had a really bad relationship with Trent Baalke in San Fran...there I believe Baalke had final say and there was a big big tension between them, since they haven't agreed on mulitple players...
Based on his previous experience and based on his high status I would expect him to demand "his" GM or at least a GM he knows/has solid knowledge on and feels like they can work together. Even then I would expect him wanting to have final say in multiple topics...

This could be a Jon Gruden type situation IMO and I definately would be too happy about that part.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NickButera said:

I'm down

OC would be a huge question mark for me!
Also it would be interesting whether he would be willing to keep PG with his scheme or would want his scheme, his style, his guy. He let Lebau coach his own scheme when he took over, but that was a long time ago, Lebau was a legend and Tomlin was a young pup...

On 12/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, Blazer026 said:

Mike Tomlin?

Man....idk. 

I have a tin of respect for Mike Tomlin. He runs a tight ship, which we could use. But I almost feel like it would be o e of those "don't meet your hero" type of things where the reality is a disappointment. 

He has had one hell of a run in Pittsburgh. No doubting that. But, man, the walked into a very comfortable spot, won a lot quickly, but the last 5 years or so things seem like they've been withering away, especially on offense. How much say does he have in drafting, because their drafting on offense has been really spotty. 

48 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I’m down with AP but Frank Smith would be my number 1 option over Ben and Jim even. 

Frank is the right hire if you want to take a franchise QB and develop him to compete in the AFC.

AP is the right hire if you want to go cheap, keep current players happy, and then dump him after it crashes and burns next year.

• Like 2

Hondo had an interview with Champ Kelly and he described his philosophy:

HC: Every GM has a doctrine, a principle of belief as to their style. Some see draft picks as gold, and some see them as capital to barter for proven players. What is the Champ Kelly Doctrine of roster building?

Kelly: “As it pertains to my philosophy on team building in the NFL, you must start with the quarterback position. The quarterback is one of the most difficult positions to play in all sports. In addition, I believe in building the team from inside out, meaning to start with offensive and defensive fronts. The key is being able to obtain the quarterback, then be able to protect that player through scheme and skill. Next, we must be able to disrupt the opponent’s passer on the defensive side of the ball through both rush and coverage.”

• Like 6