Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

On 1/5/2024 at 9:59 AM, Styrian Raider said:

@Darbsk

Since you asked for stat comparison between JMD and AP:

stats.png

(stats are from pro-football-reference)

notes from my side:

I don't know how that expected points thingy is working - i was assuming that the higher number is the better one but I'm not sure about that - the rest is pretty obvious.

I personally didn't expect that we have less gained first downs and that we allowed more passing yards in the second half of the season.

Edit:

Funny thing is, that if you remove the Chargers game entirely - the only column that switches colours would be the offense column in the expected points area (from now -1,6525 to -5,067)

For the sake of completeness:

With the win against the Broncos also the avg. passing yards flipped to AP (now 199,33 to 198,25)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

For the sake of completeness:

With the win against the Broncos also the avg. passing yards flipped to AP (now 199,33 to 198,25)

I think it’s pretty conclusive. Fair play, Pierce has done as well as could be reasonably expected. Brilliant job given the circumstances and what he had to work with.

12 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

I started off as an AP disciple. I love his connection to the organisation and the way he has motivated the roster, but the more I think about it, am I just backing him because I don't want to lose Patrick Graham? After all, who will be his OC? What is his offensive philosophy? How much of the defense stepping up is him?

I am wondering if the possibility of Jim Harbaugh is an Andy Reid-like opportunity (I never felt that way about McDaniels). The guy has a fantastic win percentage in both the NFL and College. Do we want to be the franchise with a rookie / inexperienced HC in a division with Andy Reid, Sean Payton and possibly Jim Harbaugh with the Chargers?

The more I think about it Harbaugh seems like the better option EVEN if that means losing Graham and conceding some Front Office / Personnel decisions to him - even though I don't think this is the best way to run a franchise.

Ideally, Harbaugh as HC, keeping Graham as DC. Champ Kelly as GM.

I’d love to keep Puerce in the building too as a link with the locker room, though that may present an obvious bit of friction. I’ve been pro Harbaugh since we canned McDaniels but Pierce had impressed me and I think he’s got upside in coaching, would t be mad if we retained him and as you say, it then becomes about the OC and QB.

• Like 2

I like that AP brought in Coughlin, Lewis and Gase to sit in on meetings and use their experience in the 1st week and then has kept Lewis and Gase on as advisors. I’d be happy going with AP and Kelly as GM. Players are behind him which is huge. 

Defense needs continuity could be a disaster if we change now. 

If we go Bellicheck, it will prove Mark Davis is clueless. We went from the ultimate players coach to the Patriots way already, and it failed miserably. We would be doing the exact same thing again. The locker room will do a 180 again and this time would result in irreparable damage to key guys that would cause them to leave. He's the GOAT coach but the game has passed him by, young players don't respond to his style anymore. Jack Jones for example would certainly be gone. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

I'm getting to the point where I'd like us to just go and hire AP ASAP. Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Harbaugh would be amazing but other teams badly want him. If we miss out on him and AP walks we are in a really bad spot. 

How so? There are several great options out there aside from Harbaugh. 

Nobody is going to hire AP to be there coach, let's be real here. Mark can be patient and thorough with this decision. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

I'm getting to the point where I'd like us to just go and hire AP ASAP. Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Harbaugh would be amazing but other teams badly want him. If we miss out on him and AP walks we are in a really bad spot. 

Where else is AP going to go? As good a job as he’s done with us, I can’t imagine teams will be lining up to give him anywhere near the same type of gig.

As bad as it sounds, we can court Harbaugh and if he says no, Pierce will still be there to take the job. And that’s fine.

Edit - BP beat me to it by seconds.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Where else is AP going to go? As good a job as he’s done with us, I can’t imagine teams will be lining up to give him anywhere near the same type of gig.

As bad as it sounds, we can court Harbaugh and if he says no, Pierce will still be there to take the job. And that’s fine.

Edit - BP beat me to it by seconds.

I guess the issue then that APs coaches and assistants might all have been snapped up leaving him short when looking for coaching staff if we mess around. 

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How so? There are several great options out there aside from Harbaugh. 

Nobody is going to hire AP to be there coach, let's be real here. Mark can be patient and thorough with this decision. 

Because we know AP is a great fit for this team and he gives us a chance to retain the defensive staff with him. It's not impossible to get a good coach but it's a totally unnecessary risk. We would be starting over when we don't need to. Harbaugh is the only one I'd want to see that happen for. I'd rather AP than Kellen Moore or BB easily, and I would bet on MD going that route over some of the rising star coordinator. Hell I might rather Patrick Graham than a lot of those guys.

13 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I guess the issue then that APs coaches and assistants might all have been snapped up leaving him short when looking for coaching staff if we mess around. 

That’s a fair point. Apparently the staff have been told they can look for other jobs, which I’m sure was mentioned on the SOTN podcast with the Athletic guys.

Some will jump to conclusions about that in terms of “does this mean he’s not getting the job?”, but I’d guess a lot of the people still in the room are McDaniels’ guys and that AP would want to build a lot of his staff up from scratch anyway, so possibly not a big deal really.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Because we know AP is a great fit for this team and he gives us a chance to retain the defensive staff with him. It's not impossible to get a good coach but it's a totally unnecessary risk. We would be starting over when we don't need to. Harbaugh is the only one I'd want to see that happen for. I'd rather AP than Kellen Moore or BB easily, and I would bet on MD going that route over some of the rising star coordinator. Hell I might rather Patrick Graham than a lot of those guys.

They are all under contract. Raiders would have to agree to let them out of their contract before they could sign elsewhere. 

Personally, I think hiring AP will be a mistake anyway. He's good for what they needed right now, but longterm, not seeing it. I trust he won't embarrass the organization ala the last 2 guys. But I think he'll prove out of depth in hiring and constructing an offensive staff around a young QB. 

Question for anyone who wants to answer it. Do you honestly think if hired AP will last 3 seasons as the head coach?

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They are all under contract. Raiders would have to agree to let them out of their contract before they could sign elsewhere. 

Personally, I think hiring AP will be a mistake anyway. He's good for what they needed right now, but longterm, not seeing it. I trust he won't embarrass the organization ala the last 2 guys. But I think he'll prove out of depth in hiring and constructing an offensive staff around a young QB. 

Question for anyone who wants to answer it. Do you honestly think if hired AP will last 3 seasons as the head coach?

No doubt about that.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think this is a fair way of looking at it. Kind of Mike Singletary type vibes. Who incidentally also went 5-4 in his interim spell in SF, before following it up with 8-8 and 5-10 once he got the permanent job. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if hiring AP resulted in something very similar.

There’s always a chance AP would strike gold on a OC/QB combination though, which Singletary didn’t in SF, and prolong his run. But give me a proven commodity like Harbaugh over taking the chance on needing this to happen.