Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Question for anyone who wants to answer it. Do you honestly think if hired AP will last 3 seasons as the head coach?

What is the success rate for coaches lasting 3 years? 

weve had 13 Head coaches since 2000... (14 counting gruden twice)...

I dont think ill honestly think any coach will last 3 seasons with us lmao. 

Just now, Nightmare said:

I think this is a fair way of looking at it. Kind of Mike Singletary type vibes. Who incidentally also went 5-4 in his interim spell in SF, before following it up with 8-8 and 5-10 once he got the permanent job. I wouldn’t be completely shocked if hiring AP resulted in something very similar.

There’s always a chance AP would strike gold on a OC/QB combination though, which Singletary didn’t in SF, and prolong his run. But give me a proven commodity like Harbaugh over taking the chance on needing this to happen.

Good example. Players loved Singletary. He was a rah rah, culture guy full of sound bites.

Harder to find OCs than it is DCs. If you want to build an offense, you make the play caller the HC. Just the way the NFL works now and why guys with little to no OC experience are getting HC jobs. 

Issue with striking gold on an OC is that OC then gets a HC job and you start over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

What is the success rate for coaches lasting 3 years? 

weve had 13 Head coaches since 2000... (14 counting gruden twice)...

I dont think ill honestly think any coach will last 3 seasons with us lmao. 

Fair point... Maybe that's why it's so hard to see anyone outside Harbaugh and his established career taking hold here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Fair point... Maybe that's why it's so hard to see anyone outside Harbaugh and his established career taking hold here. 

yeah for me its Harbaugh or AP. 
Think Harbaugh is the only name that could keep the locker room together, as they clearly just want AP. But think everyone would understand Harbaugh is a legit name

if we did land Harbaugh, id love it if he found a way to keep AP on staff too. 

i have concerns with harbaugh having total control, but, its a shot worth taking if possible imo. 

if not, give it to AP.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They are all under contract. Raiders would have to agree to let them out of their contract before they could sign elsewhere. 

Personally, I think hiring AP will be a mistake anyway. He's good for what they needed right now, but longterm, not seeing it. I trust he won't embarrass the organization ala the last 2 guys. But I think he'll prove out of depth in hiring and constructing an offensive staff around a young QB. 

Question for anyone who wants to answer it. Do you honestly think if hired AP will last 3 seasons as the head coach?

Yes. 

I think hiring Pierce comes with the necessary caveat that Harbaugh ain't coming to Las Vegas. 

Without the specter of Harbaugh lurking around, who is there to put that much pressure? 

I look back to Del Rio. If not for Gruden, Del Rio would've gotten at least 3 years. If not for Gruden being a moron, he would've gotten 3 years. If not for Josh being proven a franchise strangler, he would've gotten 3. I don't think Mark is all that impatient, I think the context is key for our turnover of HCs over the last near decade. 

With that in place, I think AP could at least do something close to what JDR did, and maybe even a bit better with better parts to work with and a better staff. 

Now, whether those 3 years meet expectations is anyone's guess, and I think Pierce has an upwards battle in that regard. But I  can 100% see him doing well enough to be retained until Black Monday 2027 pretty easily. Beyond that is anyone's guess. 

• Like 4

We all know Mark is more likely to open the checkbook for Harbaugh than Spanos will be. There's risk involved either way. If we retain Pierce and he runs it back with the same coaching crew, that will be a pretty big L. We also don't know if the culture change will continue into the following season. With Harbaugh, we have a proven commodity -- but we run the risk of another Gruden/McDaniels situation where the HC will have final authority over EVERYTHING. Plus, we don't know if the NFL game has passed him by. It's gonna be an interesting offseason to say the least.

42 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Good example. Players loved Singletary. He was a rah rah, culture guy full of sound bites.

Harder to find OCs than it is DCs. If you want to build an offense, you make the play caller the HC. Just the way the NFL works now and why guys with little to no OC experience are getting HC jobs. 

Issue with striking gold on an OC is that OC then gets a HC job and you start over.

Pretty much how I feel as well. I want an offense guy as head coach if we miss on Harbaugh again. Frank Smith, Brian Callahan, Ben Johnson, Bobby Slowik, all intriguing to me. Especially because I think we have to draft a QB this year. Team isn’t going anywhere with O’Connell 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They are all under contract. Raiders would have to agree to let them out of their contract before they could sign elsewhere. 

Personally, I think hiring AP will be a mistake anyway. He's good for what they needed right now, but longterm, not seeing it. I trust he won't embarrass the organization ala the last 2 guys. But I think he'll prove out of depth in hiring and constructing an offensive staff around a young QB. 

I think it would come down to OC and QB, but QB applies to whoever is next since I think we all know we can't go with AOC next year. I'd rather not jeopardize the progress on defense we have made with another unknown. It could of course work out with a new regime but it could just as easily not with any new coach, and we have a worse track record than most that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in going with an external hire. Continuity is what the players want and they have proven that they will respond, I don't see that reversing under AP I see it continuing. The team got better under AP, I don't think that was the case under Rich. We are in dire need of a good culture fit and we know the culture under AP fits our guys. I see him being our Dan Campbell regards to culture.

AP has game management issues that leave a lot to be desired, that's the main thing I see. Really questionable decision-making on time management and decision-making in situational football. A lot of that is due to AOC limitations in my opinion so that can be mitigated with better QB play. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Sounds like Commanders have an interest now as well.

Not sure how much the financial aspect of it will weigh on Jim, who has no doubt made a ton of cash in his coaching career, but Washington certainly have the power to outspend either us or the Chargers if that does become an issue.

This is going to be a lonnnnnnnng couple of weeks with all the rumor & innuendo playing out with teams and agents via the media.

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Sounds like Commanders have an interest now as well.

Not sure how much the financial aspect of it will weigh on Jim, who has no doubt made a ton of cash in his coaching career, but Washington certainly have the power to outspend either us or the Chargers if that does become an issue.

This is going to be a lonnnnnnnng couple of weeks with all the rumor & innuendo playing out with teams and agents via the media.

If he wants his guy at QB, we already lost to Washington (2nd pick) or Chargers. If it's money, we probably lose our to Washington. If it's easiest path to SB, it's probably still Washington in the NFC. Our best chance is giving more power, which may be a mistake. Chargers are going to be in cap hell which helps our cause, and JH has history with the Raiders. Not really sure what more we have to offer. And who knows who else will try to get him.

I think general consensus is that we almost all want Harbaugh but it's a bit of a long shot.

And yea, like you said, the next few weeks/months are gonna draaaag.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

If he wants his guy at QB, we already lost to Washington (2nd pick) or Chargers. If it's money, we probably lose our to Washington. If it's easiest path to SB, it's probably still Washington in the NFC. Our best chance is giving more power, which may be a mistake. Chargers are going to be in cap hell which helps our cause, and JH has history with the Raiders. Not really sure what more we have to offer. And who knows who else will try to get him.

I think general consensus is that we almost all want Harbaugh but it's a bit of a long shot.

Commanders have 5 Top 100 selections including the #2 overall pick. 75 million in cap space. New ownership with deep pockets . Someone is gonna take that job big

Edited by bucksavage1

2 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Yeah, I think people aren't taking into account the full picture of the situation he'd be landing in if he went to the Chargers. Sure, they've got Herbert, who is an excellent piece to build around, but they've also got an old, overrated and overpaid roster, and up until now a notoriously cheap owner who doesn't give his coaches the type of control Harbaugh will want.

Commanders certainly look to be an attractive proposition on paper. Money, high draft pick to take the QB you want, and an easier route to success in the NFC. The only drawback I can see is that he doesn't have any previous ties there - and does this even matter?

We're a total wildcard, with so many variables - how much we can pay, his previous history with the Raiders, his link to Tom Brady via his new agent Yee (and Michigan), the fact his wife used to live in Vegas and they met there. It's a lot of potential reasons we could latch onto, but who knows if any of that even factors in at all.

• Like 2