Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, FloydFan said:

No I still put this on Carthon. He is the GM and is in charge of these things. Of course Vrabel wanted to think his team could compete. What coach wouldn’t? Carthon should have understood this better and negated him on it. Instead he blew a year away for hardly nothing and squandered value. It’s like the ordeal with Ziegler and McD. If Ziegler would have stepped in and saw what he leaked to the media through, he’d still be here. Not having a backbone like that as a GM is a red flag. If anything this worries me more about Carthon. 

Fair points. I side with Titan fans on this who say Vrabel is a good coach, but way over valued by non-Titan fans. Great at getting buy in and player love playing for him, but they cite him being a poor x's and o's guy. Poor in staff hiring and development of the roster. Slow to make changes to the staff when it's not working. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I have said that on multiple occasions. And how do you feel I'm minimizing the success he's had exactly? I respect the job he's done. He filled his role well. I simply don't think there is another level to him as a coach that I can get behind as a long term solution. I do not trust he has an offensive vision to develop a rookie QB. If he's hired, then will be in his corner, but he'll need to nail the offensive staff.

And, yes I don't like the rah rah style coaching as it eventually falls flat. You have to have to have some X's and O's knowledge and I think AP is green in that regard. There are better defensive coaches you could hire this cycle.

Our defense became the #1 under his tenure, however you want to nitpick that is up to you, but he's more than a glorified cheerleader is all I'm saying. Everyone who wants AP knows OC and QB needs figured out, but any coach needs the QB and vice versa can be said for the defensive coordinator if we get an offensive-minded coach. We can't have our defense regress back to where it was. 

By the way, the "rah rah" style coaching--not even completely sure what you mean by that if it isn't a slight at AP (players coach? Good motivator? Leader?), but if it's any on those 3 they are traits of Jim Harbaugh too, and you seem to have confidence in his style. AP doesn't need to be a master in X's and O's if he isn't calling plays and has the coordinators handling that, which they should. We need to find our OC equivalent of Graham and we could be contenders with this regime if they take the next step. As always that's predicated with a QB and in my opinion retaining PG.

Whether you admit it or not we are taking a big risk if the culture fit isn't there, because it is there right now with AP. As the leader of this team, Maxx has been very clear about that.

A lot of OC who became HC are great with X's and O's then flopped. For every Mike Singletary you name there's a Mark Trestman. They aren't all Sean McVay. We could just as easily reliving a modern Norv Turner if we don't get the right offensive-minded guy who also fits the team we have.

Jim Harbaugh can check all the boxes, and he's mine and just about everyone else's first choice, but it's a long shot we land him. Anyone else is a gamble for all these reasons outlined, so AP remains clear second choice for me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Fair points. I side with Titan fans on this who say Vrabel is a good coach, but way over valued by non-Titan fans. Great at getting buy in and player love playing for him, but they cite him being a poor x's and o's guy. Poor in staff hiring and development of the roster. Slow to make changes to the staff when it's not working. 

Sounds a lot like JDR. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

Telesco is similar to an NBA GM in that he only drafts players that seem like obvious hits. You are right on the bolded. The lack of late round gems means that he is not that good of an evaluator.

Honestly the Raiders could use a guy who will draft the obvious hits. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I personally think that Harbaugh better upgrade his scheme for the NFL. The 49ers scheme from a decade ago and Michigan ain’t gonna get it done

Dominate run game with a good Dline wont work? 

i kid, but that is the principle of his scheme no?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Honestly the Raiders could use a guy who will draft the obvious hits. 

Then you end up with a top heavy team like the Chargers. When injuries happen (ChargIRs), you start losing games.

Obviously, you can't hit on every pick. But, the Raiders need a balanced GM who can hit on draft picks from any round.

Still no news on us interviewing anyone for the HC position? The Chargers, Panthers and Commanders have all requested interviews with numerous guys for their HC vacancies.

Are we just being the Raiders and doing everything in secret again?

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Still no news on us interviewing anyone for the HC position? The Chargers, Panthers and Commanders have all requested interviews with numerous guys for their HC vacancies.

Are we just being the Raiders and doing everything in secret again?

Have a feeling Mark is getting the GM in place before he gives any HC candidates a chance. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I feel that and it's very possible. I will say most of my friends are Titans fans and they all unanimously view it as a poor decision to let Vrabel go. I know the media here has not been happy about it either. Sports talk this morning was going in on it. I think at the end of the day it will be interesting to see where it lands. The guy can draft, I just feel for them because it was a squandered opportunity to get him more ammo for what he does best.

• Like 1

Vrabel did a phenomenal job in Tenn. His first 4 years we're unparalleled. I'm absolutely shocked they let him go.  You look at some of the most successful coaches out there, they all had a few years that were down years every once in a while. I'd add him to my list of Harbough and AP who I'd be very happy with. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Have a feeling Mark is getting the GM in place before he gives any HC candidates a chance. 

I sure hope he realized the last two coaching hires of giving complete control to the HC over the GM was an enormous mistake. That is just not a functional way for the modern NFL.

However I do wonder how that would all work with Harbaugh. I am concerned he would demand a ton of sway and our eventual GM would be his lap dog. I would be cool with that if Dodds were on board though.

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Vrabel did a phenomenal job in Tenn. His first 4 years we're unparalleled. I'm absolutely shocked they let him go.  You look at some of the most successful coaches out there, they all had a few years that were down years every once in a while. I'd add him to my list of Harbough and AP who I'd be very happy with. 

Agreed. 

I wouldn't consider him a failed retread. He wasn't on my list before.....but I didn't think he'd be available in the first place.