Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. Alabama could drop off in a big way. They were the only real recruiting threat to Georgia in the south. Georgia is going to feast off Saban's absence with LSU and now Texas pulling some of those recruits too. 

I can't think of a name Alabama can get right now that fills those shoes.

It's wild, really. At one point, pre-NIL $, conference realignment, and guys going off and revitalizing programs, Saban had potential replacements that would've probably done very well all up and down the staff list from coordinators to their yearly trove of analysts and advisors. 

Then the best ones left and found success....and we're not talking at South Alabama or Western Kentucky or whatever, they found success at places like Texas and Georgia who can compete with Bama to keep them around. 

Saban was clearly still very capable of coaching, and Alabama fans will almost assuredly disagree, but I almost feel like he stayed beyond what should've been his expiration date in regard to a succession plan. That, or he's stepping away a year or so too early as there's no real slam dunk successors at the moment. 

At the very least, like you said, Georgia, LSU, and Texas are about to feast for a bit barring something seismic. I'd add that Ole Miss is coming off of a statement win over Penn St. If Kiffin stays put, they're easily up higher on the list. Recruiting against even Tennessee, Florida, etc surely wasn't an easy task to start with either. 

On a more ironic note, funny that Bama and New England sort of mirror one another. New England also had a lot more appeal prior to Buffalo and Miami catching up, and they usually had at least 1 guy around (usually JMD) that seemed like a natural successor that would smoothly slot right in. Yet, now there's a few also-rans from his tree that aren't as appealing and there's talknof breaking away from that chapter altogether. 

2 or 3 years ago, had they not left, I could have seen JMD getting a lot of goodwill with the Patriots even if things went sideways for a while to start. Bama, I  figured Sark would hang and finally be the guy who replaces the guy like when Carroll left USC.  JMD went off and flopped, Sark landed a dream gig at an equally powerful program and seems pretty entrenched. Now both teams are sort of stuck in a weird limbo. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

Didn't he won 5 games? Why are there only 4 QBs mentioned?

Is it because it was against Patrick Mahomes, arguably the best QB in the league, against whom we only won once before in 5 seasons?

Beating one good QB should get you a head coaching job

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Obvious connection to someone on the same staff 

Let’s not act like everyone was praising it as some Homerun hire lol some time you have to let stuff play out. Raiders have a lot of talent on Offense and to half full reign to that side of the ball with a defensive coach will be a big draw. Again, everyone that is supporting AP returning understands he needs to nail the OC position and solidify that side of the ball. 

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's wild, really. At one point, pre-NIL $, conference realignment, and guys going off and revitalizing programs, Saban had potential replacements that would've probably done very well all up and down the staff list from coordinators to their yearly trove of analysts and advisors. 

Then the best ones left and found success....and we're not talking at South Alabama or Western Kentucky or whatever, they found success at places like Texas and Georgia who can compete with Bama to keep them around. 

Saban was clearly still very capable of coaching, and Alabama fans will almost assuredly disagree, but I almost feel like he stayed beyond what should've been his expiration date in regard to a succession plan. That, or he's stepping away a year or so too early as there's no real slam dunk successors at the moment. 

At the very least, like you said, Georgia, LSU, and Texas are about to feast for a bit barring something seismic. I'd add that Ole Miss is coming off of a statement win over Penn St. If Kiffin stays put, they're easily up higher on the list. Recruiting against even Tennessee, Florida, etc surely wasn't an easy task to start with either. 

On a more ironic note, funny that Bama and New England sort of mirror one another. New England also had a lot more appeal prior to Buffalo and Miami catching up, and they usually had at least 1 guy around (usually JMD) that seemed like a natural successor that would smoothly slot right in. Yet, now there's a few also-rans from his tree that aren't as appealing and there's talknof breaking away from that chapter altogether. 

2 or 3 years ago, had they not left, I could have seen JMD getting a lot of goodwill with the Patriots even if things went sideways for a while to start. Bama, I  figured Sark would hang and finally be the guy who replaces the guy like when Carroll left USC.  JMD went off and flopped, Sark landed a dream gig at an equally powerful program and seems pretty entrenched. Now both teams are sort of stuck in a weird limbo. 

Alabama should do the funniest thing ever and just hire Dieon Sanders

33 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Let’s not act like everyone was praising it as some Homerun hire lol some time you have to let stuff play out. Raiders have a lot of talent on Offense and to half full reign to that side of the ball with a defensive coach will be a big draw. Again, everyone that is supporting AP returning understands he needs to nail the OC position and solidify that side of the ball. 

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/14/texans-hot-scheme-bobby-slowik/

He was pretty instrumental in Purdy's development

40 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

No but why can't you just include it right away that he beat Mahomes? You always leaving out the things that doesn't fit your narrative.

Okay he beat one good QB and 4 dudes that might not even be in the league in 2 years

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. Alabama could drop off in a big way. They were the only real recruiting threat to Georgia in the south. Georgia is going to feast off Saban's absence with LSU and now Texas pulling some of those recruits too. 

I can't think of a name Alabama can get right now that fills those shoes.

No opinion yet on UW in the Big10. Such a weird situations that all is. 

Lanning is in Tuscaloosa

29 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

How is no one worried that Mark won’t go after BB? I can’t think of a bigger name than him right now. No one has won more super bowls in the league. 

It was mentioned in media circles a while back that we were one of the names who would be interested in him should he become available. But I do think for the Raiders a lot of the time any “reports” you hear are just media guys blindly throwing darts at the wall and hoping they hit on something. Nobody ever really knows what Mark is doing, same as his dad.

We could hire anyone at this point. I’d guess Belichick will be on the table for consideration, rightly or wrongly.

One thing I was just thinking though - on the one hand I do like the fact that we seem to be making the GM hire a priority at this point, because then a prospective GM will get a chance to meet with and pair themselves with the best HC fit for them. But on the other, could we be missing out on targets by not interviewing for HC while a bunch of other teams are?

Maybe I’m just being impatient here, but the Chargers, Commanders, Falcons and Panthers have already started interviewing for the HC position. Falcons slightly different because they already have a GM in place, but the other three don’t and I’m worried that they might be getting a head start on a candidate that’s a great fit for us and whoever our new GM is.

Either that, or Mark is fully on the Harbaugh or AP or bust train…

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Alabama should do the funniest thing ever and just hire Dieon Sanders

Way overhyped as a coach, but I also found Colorado a fairly puzzling spot to try and turn around. 

Not gonna lie, I could actually see him being someone who could keep the recruit train going at Bama, especially in Texas and Georgia. Plus with his time at Jackson St, he's gotta be at least somewhat familiar with the territory. Only a few hours from Jackson to Tuscaloosa. 

I think the coaching would most definitely take a hit at the program, but that may not have been as awful a fit as it seems on the surface. Bro left for D1 a year early and got stuck with a dormant program with nothing else going for it. 

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Okay he beat one good QB and 4 dudes that might not even be in the league in 2 years

since you cant give credit for beating a qb who might be out of the league in 2 years... 
you shouldnt fault for losing with a qb who might be out of the league in 2 years. 

so he is 1-0. 🤣

17 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Either that, or Mark is fully on the Harbaugh or AP or bust train…

Feel like this is the case. 

To AP's credit,  he's being a pro's pro about it by all accounts. He understands that a major coaching decision isn't made without due diligence. 

Reports were the Raiders have no competition for Pierce, which I took to mean that he would choose the Raiders over anyone else if offered the job more than nobody else being interested. 

Harbaugh, we'll know relatively soon what he's doing. 

Tells me Mark has probably told AP they're targeting Harbaugh and he's next man up. I think AP is grounded enough to look at that as an honor more than a sleight, because nobody has it better than Harbaugh. 

This means we're likely hunting for a GM and the HC position is a 2 man race with one candidate already in-house. If so, I would really hope AP remaining in some capacity is a given, if he's being that loyal. I get he's from LA and grew up a Raiders fan and that while he never actually played for us, that's not a requirement of fandom. But I did find a lot of his early bravado a bit cringe because....like, dude, you've never actually been here before what's the connection? At this point though, it seems to be genuinely sincere, and it's endearing. 

• Like 1