Who do you want to see as our next HC and GM?

RaidersAreOne

40 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Feel like this is the case. 

To AP's credit,  he's being a pro's pro about it by all accounts. He understands that a major coaching decision isn't made without due diligence. 

Reports were the Raiders have no competition for Pierce, which I took to mean that he would choose the Raiders over anyone else if offered the job more than nobody else being interested. 

Harbaugh, we'll know relatively soon what he's doing. 

Tells me Mark has probably told AP they're targeting Harbaugh and he's next man up. I think AP is grounded enough to look at that as an honor more than a sleight, because nobody has it better than Harbaugh. 

This means we're likely hunting for a GM and the HC position is a 2 man race with one candidate already in-house. If so, I would really hope AP remaining in some capacity is a given, if he's being that loyal. I get he's from LA and grew up a Raiders fan and that while he never actually played for us, that's not a requirement of fandom. But I did find a lot of his early bravado a bit cringe because....like, dude, you've never actually been here before what's the connection? At this point though, it seems to be genuinely sincere, and it's endearing. 

It has to be a 2 man race. Its the only thing that makes sense 

20 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It has to be a 2 man race. Its the only thing that makes sense 

I believe we are also looking for an Assistant GM and President of football operations . Could also be why we are interviewing executives 

Edited by bucksavage1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't trust AP to nail the OC hire and build a top end offensive staff. Should I? What evidence is there he can accomplish this? Maybe he surprises me. 

The thing is, isn’t this true with any number of coaches who haven’t assembled a staff before, the OC types would have no track record of who they are going to employ on D for example. I see your reservations and they’re pretty se solve but this basically limits you to experienced Head Coaches who’ve had great staffs doesnt it? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He made a slight improvement over one of the worst coaches in recent NFL history, with wins over Easton Stick, Jarrett Stidham, Tommy DeVito, and Zach Wilson. Future Bill Bellichick, just gotta hope we pray backups every week and that he doesn't fold like he did against Josh Dobbs/Nick Mullens and Gardner Minshew.

Plus Mahomes and Tua, you conveniently forgot to include those 😉

And he did it with, according to you ‘the worst QB in the league’.

So, he went 5-4 against McDaniels 3-5 but with a worse QB according to you, he also broke the Raiders point scoring record and scored 30, 63 and 27 points in games when our previous highest was 21 which included a safety. There was a very clear and distinct uptick across the board when AP came in and seeing as we had ‘the worst QB in the NFL’ doesn’t that mean AP and Bo did a phenomenal job?

If you’re going to be fair, then seeing as we had the worst QB in the league and QB wins are a stat we should have obviously gone 0-9, can you see the flaws in your argument?

I do appreciate that we have to temper our elation and expectations a bit and you’re right, we did beat some pretty bad QBs. That is fair and reasonable. We were losing to the likes of the Bears previously though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Way overhyped as a coach, but I also found Colorado a fairly puzzling spot to try and turn around. 

Not gonna lie, I could actually see him being someone who could keep the recruit train going at Bama, especially in Texas and Georgia. Plus with his time at Jackson St, he's gotta be at least somewhat familiar with the territory. Only a few hours from Jackson to Tuscaloosa. 

I think the coaching would most definitely take a hit at the program, but that may not have been as awful a fit as it seems on the surface. Bro left for D1 a year early and got stuck with a dormant program with nothing else going for it. 

100% agree. I had thought Dan Lanning would be the name to watch with connections there. He said he's staying at Oregon. Good for him honestly.

Honestly, no big name coach is going to want to be the man to fill those shoes immediately. Career suicide. They will have to settle for an up and comer who will be ran out of Tuscaloosa quickly when he doesn't win. Then they can grab the big hire.  

Alabama is about to in a rough patch for a bit.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Plus Mahomes and Tua, you conveniently forgot to include those 😉

And he did it with, according to you ‘the worst QB in the league’.

So, he went 5-4 against McDaniels 3-5 but with a worse QB according to you, he also broke the Raiders point scoring record and scored 30, 63 and 27 points in games when our previous highest was 21 which included a safety. There was a very clear and distinct uptick across the board when AP came in and seeing as we had ‘the worst QB in the NFL’ doesn’t that mean AP and Bo did a phenomenal job?

If you’re going to be fair, then seeing as we had the worst QB in the league and QB wins are a stat we should have obviously gone 0-9, can you see the flaws in your argument?

I do appreciate that we have to temper our elation and expectations a bit and you’re right, we did beat some pretty bad QBs. That is fair and reasonable. We were losing to the likes of the Bears previously though.

I'd bet money that AP will be fired within 2 years if he's retained.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I'd bet money that AP will be fired within 2 years if he's retained.

Average interim HC tenure after becoming permanent is 37 months isn’t it? You may well get the chance to make it lose some money!

44 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I believe we are also looking for an Assistant GM and President of football operations . Could also be why we are interviewing executives 

You think we're interviewing top candidates like Dodds, Peters, etc to be the assistant GM under Champ Kelly? IIRC teams can't hire guys under contract for lateral moves, only promotions. And we have to specify what we're interviewing them for when we put in the request and literally every single report has been that they're interviewing for the GM job.

Mark Davis reached out to Adam Peters and was like hey man I know that you're currently the assistant GM and right hand man to Lynch in one of the best front offices and situations in the league. But would you like to make a lateral move to work underneath a first time GM in a much worse situation?

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Feel like this is the case. 

To AP's credit,  he's being a pro's pro about it by all accounts. He understands that a major coaching decision isn't made without due diligence. 

Reports were the Raiders have no competition for Pierce, which I took to mean that he would choose the Raiders over anyone else if offered the job more than nobody else being interested. 

Harbaugh, we'll know relatively soon what he's doing. 

Tells me Mark has probably told AP they're targeting Harbaugh and he's next man up. I think AP is grounded enough to look at that as an honor more than a sleight, because nobody has it better than Harbaugh. 

This means we're likely hunting for a GM and the HC position is a 2 man race with one candidate already in-house. If so, I would really hope AP remaining in some capacity is a given, if he's being that loyal. I get he's from LA and grew up a Raiders fan and that while he never actually played for us, that's not a requirement of fandom. But I did find a lot of his early bravado a bit cringe because....like, dude, you've never actually been here before what's the connection? At this point though, it seems to be genuinely sincere, and it's endearing. 

I would be absolutely fine with it if this is the plan. Harbaugh is the dream, but if he doesn’t want the job then I’m content with AP and giving him the chance to build on this season. And your post certainly seems like sound logic as to what the Raiders are doing right now.

The only problem with that being, what seems logical to us as fans isn’t always consistent in the brain of Mark Davis.

Edited by Nightmare

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

100% agree. I had thought Dan Lanning would be the name to watch with connections there. He said he's staying at Oregon. Good for him honestly.

Honestly, no big name coach is going to want to be the man to fill those shoes immediately. Career suicide. They will have to settle for an up and comer who will be ran out of Tuscaloosa quickly when he doesn't win. Then they can grab the big hire.  

Alabama is about to in a rough patch for a bit.

Lanning came to mind when I was thinking about the list of guys. 

My final determination was sort of similar to Washington's. 

Oregon gets cold, but not Michigan/Wisconsin/Ohio cold. The weather is usually pretty nice. And Oregon has brand recognition with the Nike connection. 

The Pac12 as an institute was problematic and had a very dated superiority complex about their operations. 

This certainly doesn't apply to every former Pac program, but specifically Washington, UCLA, and especially Oregon and USC seem lime prime candidates to be in the upper crust of the Big10 sooner rather than later. No doubt in my mind the Pac12 policies really held them back from really consistently competing on the national stage. 

Admittedly, I'm an Oregon homer, so there may be some bias here. But with Oregon's recent rise, the relatively long term success they've had, their top notch marketing, and access to dumb levels of money.....they could very well be in one of the best positions in the country going forward without the Pac to worry about. 

In a sort if roundabout way, I liken it to if Miami installed an administration that actually cared about football and joined the SEC. Miami would turn back into a juggernaut overnight. Oregon has a ton of potential and have now gotten rid of one of the leashes holding them back. 10 years from now, I could see it being one of college football's most desirable positions as opposed to that good but limited stepping stone in the Pacific northwest. 

For what it's worth, I see a similar situation for Arizona St going to the Big12. Their student body is massive. Give them a good football program without the archaic rules of the Pac12, I could see them doing very very well filling the void left by Texas and Oklahoma. 

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I would be absolutely fine with it if this is the plan. Harbaugh is the dream, but if he doesn’t want the job then I’m content with AP and giving him the chance to build on this season. And your post certainly seems like sound logic as to what the Raiders are doing right now.

The only problem with that being, what seems logical to us as fans isn’t always consistent in the brain of Mark Davis.

The....what?

• Like 2