Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

So with the Raiders taking strong action and firing both McDaniels and Dave Ziegler, IF the Packers also followed suit, considering we have a worse record than the Raiders, and fired Barry, I mean we did fire MM mid season and now with Sul gone and we are in full tank mode, who would you want to replace him?

I actually find this a hard task of finding names that are decent, so not sure who is available and who I would want.

For me the top name is Mike Zimmer, he is DC for Deion's Buffalos but I'm sure he would be tempted to come back to the NFL, especially if he gets the feeling that Prime will bolt soon as well. He has the gravitas and talent to be a DC that I would feel would give me some confidence.

However, I think we'll go the young and upcoming route for our next DC.

Then there is Jim Leonhard, a former player but who has no NFL experience as a coach. Currently an analyst for Illinois. 41 years old.

Jeff Ulbrich former player, 49ers, LB coach for the Falcons when MLF was there. Been the DC for the Jets under Salah, might move across to be a proper DC., 46 years old.

Derrick Ansley, coached well as a DC for Alabama became the highest paid defence backs coach for the Raiders, took them from 5 ints in 2017 to 14 in 2018. Currently DC for the Chargers, might move across to be a proper DC. 41 years old. 

Anthony Weaver, associate HC and DL coach for the Ravens. 43 years old, young up-and-coming potential DC.

Kris Kocurek, Dline coach for the Niners since 2019, is another young up-and-coming potential DC, 44 years old.

Renaldo Hill, former DC with the Chargers, worked under Fangio, Keith Butler and Brendan Staley, 44 years old.

Some retreads just for the hell of it:
Lovie Smith
Kris Richard
Ken Norton Jnr
Greg Manusky
Chuck Pagano (retired)
Keith Butler (retired)

Out of all of them Zimmer if we go the old route and Weaver if we go the young way are the names I like the most.

Think a young DC would be a good way to go, unproven in the league but with fresh ideas to go around in the room. I just want a more creative aggressive DC that understands the players he has, AND more than anything else someone who understands situational football because god knows Joe Barry doesn't. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

If we are looking this there is also the consideration of base. It's no longer either 3-4 or 4-3, as in modern defenses are base nickel. Usually the fronts are 2-4-5 or 3-3-5.

Enough of that. It’s not confusing anymore. It worked in the 90’s and 00’s, but since the 2010’s, you’re only confusing very young and inexperienced quarterbacks or very bad head coaches.

3-4 and 4-3 don’t really matter as long as coordinators don’t try to get cute with their rushing.

Just have four guys on five and send a fifth more often than not on passing downs. It’s literally as simple as that.

I prefer the 4-3 because 4-3 only guys are the new tweeners.

Too often teams pass on really good prototypical 4-3 ends because they can’t drop back into coverage. I want to say this is why Max Crosby became what he became, but I really don’t know anything about the Raiders defense. I only suspect that dude never drops.

2 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Enough of that. It’s not confusing anymore. It worked in the 90’s and 00’s, but since the 2010’s, you’re only confusing very young and inexperienced quarterbacks or very bad head coaches.

3-4 and 4-3 don’t really matter as long as coordinators don’t try to get cute with their rushing.

Just have four guys on five and send a fifth more often than not on passing downs. It’s literally as simple as that.

I prefer the 4-3 because 4-3 only guys are the new tweeners.

Too often teams pass on really good prototypical 4-3 ends because they can’t drop back into coverage. I want to say this is why Max Crosby became what he became, but I really don’t know anything about the Raiders defense. I only suspect that dude never drops.

Its not about fooling anyone. It's about having an odd or even front. Gap control is different on a fundamental level between even and odd fronts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Larry Foote in Tampa and Jerod Mayo in NE are two names I would like to see get an interview.

Mayo isn't leaving for anything short of a HC gig IMO.  Unless Belichick gets canned, he's got pretty good job security there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Its not about fooling anyone. It's about having an odd or even front. Gap control is different on a fundamental level between even and odd fronts.

That’s what it is, yes, but the entire 3-4 was conceived around the idea of confusion. This is why every team slowly turned to a 3-4 because it worked. That advantage is gone. The greatest advantage was in being able to use the players who were too big for off ball, too small for EDGE rushing abilities and have them do both.